Baby's Homecoming: getting the new place ready!

MaxxH said:
I've changed my view recently about daycare. Youngest grandson is approaching three, and I'm impressed with the things he's picking up from daycare. His current favorite bedtime book is a numbers book, and he loves to show off. He goes to daycare 3 days a week while Mrs. Junior works part time. We get called in as backup if she has an unexpected meeting or trip. To be fair, the daycare isn't some fat housewife watching other people's kids for cash, or a government run thing. They're dropping significant cash for a top of the line preschool, and IMO they're getting a return on the investment. Our 7 year old granddaughter went to the same place before starting school.

PS: All of you other babies will be pleased to know that Junior Jr. is not yet toilet trained. I haven't asked about that. His parents have been doing a terrific job in every other aspect with both kids, so I refuse to second guess. If memory serves, granddaughter ditched the diapers right around her second birthday.

Part of my statement was satire; I don't hold the belief that daycares are made up of "fat housewives watching other people's kids for cash" but there are complications that can arise from having one or more children in daycare for many parents, such as the fact that sometimes one or both parents must work a little extra on a given day or are delayed in picking up their child and are thus charged accordingly...usually steeply. Also I've had friends with kids in daycare who've experienced regular issues, such as being forced to either remove a sick child (even if only suspected) or there are common maladies children get & pass on to others in the daycare, which result in long-term mandated child-absence...and a parent seeking out a sitter to cover the gap.

I have an oldest granddaughter with marked autism, another who's considered 'normal', yet another with mild autism...and a preschooler grandson. As I said, my grandkids have never been in a daycare at any time, but they have been in schools (excepting the grandson) with either very tight health restrictions (this was before the COVID outbreak)...or a rather substandard special-needs curriculum that is abused by the special-needs personnel whose only curriculum is to sit an autistic child at a table with a coloring book & crayons, offer no teacher-student interaction, offer little supervision of the class as a whole...and handle a meltdown by calling the parent(s) in exasperation, telling them to retrieve their child...or even bring the child on a trip to the nurse and generate a false report of head-lice to get a child out of the class for a week...and that has happened on a routine basis with more parents than my kids...or even myself.

Thankfully, that has been a different story here in Idaho, where the special-needs class has been both effective and superb in all aspects. My oldest granddaughter flourished there, as did my third granddaughter (even though her autism is mild); my second granddaughter has developed into a highly-intelligent, remarkably-adjusted student on her own right. So far, Kentucky has been holding the same good standards as Idaho.

I would be extremely remiss in my role & duty as a grandparent in my current state of retirement to not offer my time or even other resources to help my family out, as I have little else to do. I don't have all the money in the world...but I do have time. That makes the definition of my role very clear. And so, there I am. That is the mantle I take up, because I believe, above all else, that there's nobody better to watch over children than family...and that family is everything. Not everyone can avail of themselves to exercise that standard, due to people having careers or other obligations of their own...but I can. So I do.

Hopefully, this message came across as no-malice-intended. Hopefully, you understand my point of view. Thanks.

Well, another development arose as I was finishing posting the last post: I had to cancel everything. The trailer park, which has the trailer I was going to buy, is owned by a larger company, both who have been sued (along with sister trailer parks owned by the big company) more than once for trailer-grabbing, malicious behavior, overcharging for utilities and blocking the removal of lawful trailer removals. Their BBB backlog is quite worrisome. This is NOT a good day. 😡😡😡

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: ade and KrankyPants
OMG! Sorry about your new moving tale of woe. Sometimes you have to wonder if it's not meant to be:cry:
BobbiSueEllen said:
Part of my statement was satire; I don't hold the belief that daycares are made up of "fat housewives watching other people's kids for cash"

I wasn't tossing out some stereotype about the fat housewife running the daycare. That was, in fact, the woman behind us. She flat-out told Mrs. Maxx over the fence that she didn't want to go back to work after having kids, so she started doing daycare. Ironically, her clients evaporated when the pandemic hit, so she was forced to get a job.

Edit: Agree with you on the duties of grandparents. Junior and Mrs. Junior know I'd pick up the slack if it came to that. Fortunately, both of them make good money at jobs that didn't disappear during the last year. I have to admit that while I think I could do a very good job watching and teaching the kids, I can't compete with the socialization aspect that comes with being around other kids at daycare.

Last edited:
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
BobbiSueEllen said:
Well, another development arose as I was finishing posting the last post: I had to cancel everything. The trailer park, which has the trailer I was going to buy, is owned by a larger company, both who have been sued (along with sister trailer parks owned by the big company) more than once for trailer-grabbing, malicious behavior, overcharging for utilities and blocking the removal of lawful trailer removals. Their BBB backlog is quite worrisome. This is NOT a good day. 😡😡😡

Well shit! that sucks but it is best you figured it out now than later. Hang in there you will find you something you can work with soon enough.

• Love
I'm just glad I didn't buy an airplane ticket yet...or make any other final purchases related to the move. I have yet to find a trailer park that doesn't try to work above the law and grab trailers simply because they can. What jerks! :mad:

So sorry to hear this didn't work out. I'm hoping something really good for you will turn up.

At this rate, I'm starting to lose all faith. I seriously am. 😢

• Sad
Reactions: KrankyPants
It really sucks at the moment. I found two nice houses while on a speaker phone call with my mom and great aunt. Mom and I ended the call to visit the first house which was available on the website on which I found it. Sure enough when I arrived at the destination, I pulled up the house on Zillow, and its pending. Every fucking house is pending... especially when I talk to our agent. Like the next day.. pending!

What ducks more is my agent isn't even finding houses for us. We are having an open house on the 24th, and after that, if no good offers, we are going to hire a new agent once the contract with the current one expires.

Last edited:
  • Wow
BobbiSueEllen said:
I'm just glad I didn't buy an airplane ticket yet...or make any other final purchases related to the move. I have yet to find a trailer park that doesn't try to work above the law and grab trailers simply because they can. What jerks! :mad:

BobbiSueEllen said:
At this rate, I'm starting to lose all faith. I seriously am. 😢
Keep you head up. It will will work out. You will find something close to your family that will work. If you want this you will make it happen. Don't pay attention to the people that say it might not be meant to be. I am routing for you anyway.

• Love
Oddly enough, a realtor just responded to my ad. He probably had a mind-set of someone wanting a "stick-home" (a house with foundation) so I replied kindly about my situation. He'll probably politely excuse himself for that reason because there's almost no money to be made selling mobile homes in parks. I dunno...I just don't know.

So, what's becoming of this whole thing? It's getting bleak but it's not entirely over with. The quest to get my own place is a rocky one, with plenty of treachery in wait for the one who walks this path.

What I am talking about is mobile home parks. No matter where you go in the US, perhaps even in Canada (?), they're quite the batch: many--not all--operate on treachery, a smile on a rabid dog. So far, the model I've seen in many of these parks is the same:
  1. lure a prospective tenant/buyer (henceforth referred to as "buyer") willing to buy a fixer-upper mobile in the park with an attractive price, whether financed by the prospective buyer or in-house;
  2. seal the deal, get the money, give the title;
  3. allow time for the buyer to make improvements upon the property;
  4. either do nothing or introduce a ridiculous fee/charge above & beyond the contract (a late rent payment, even if caught up, usually makes the management stop taking further rent payments to force a crisis);
  5. inform the tenant the lease is broken and they have 7 days to vacate themselves and the trailer (in most counties, by law, a reason for termination is not required to be given by the park management/owner);
  6. more often than not, a buyer has insufficient money to both pay for the trailer to be moved and secure a space in another park;
  7. if the buyer does have the funds, they and their moving team are usually prevented from moving a trailer out of the park by a preplanned obstruction, such as digging up the street to work on a sewer line, before or on the final day, and;
  8. once the 7 days are up, the trailer is liened, preventing its sale, a lawsuit against the buyer threatened and the buyer is forced to abandon the trailer, surrender the title and walk away from the trailer price and any & all materials & labor put into the trailer, usually running in the additional thousands.
See how that works? And the management/owner will simply tell you "It's not personal...it's business".

Of course it's business to them...it's personal to you. They lose nothing...you do. And they hide behind that quip all day long to take the edge off their consciences, reap your work and sucker the next person in with your former trailer to apply, lather, rinse, repeat. I saw it happen in some states...looks like it goes on in Kentucky, too. Seems to be a common trade secret/shortcut.

That's what you get for following in the spirit of the law: you get the letter.

I'm not saying all parks do this...but it seems many, if not most, do. I've done enough research on many parks in the area after coming close to getting burned last week to discover most are owned by large LLCs...with one LLC that stands out. Someone fought back in a class-action suit which gained considerable media attention; the case can be found here. I'm still seeking a verdict report. But if you read the complaint, you'll get the gist of what I'm saying: shystery.

And so, the search continues. The opportunities are vanishing but I keep at it.

BobbiSueEllen said:
So, what's becoming of this whole thing? It's getting bleak but it's not entirely over with. The quest to get my own place is a rocky one, with plenty of treachery in wait for the one who walks this path.

What I am talking about is mobile home parks. No matter where you go in the US, perhaps even in Canada (?), they're quite the batch: many--not all--operate on treachery, a smile on a rabid dog. So far, the model I've seen in many of these parks is the same:
  1. lure a prospective tenant/buyer (henceforth referred to as "buyer") willing to buy a fixer-upper mobile in the park with an attractive price, whether financed by the prospective buyer or in-house;
  2. seal the deal, get the money, give the title;
  3. allow time for the buyer to make improvements upon the property;
  4. either do nothing or introduce a ridiculous fee/charge above & beyond the contract (a late rent payment, even if caught up, usually makes the management stop taking further rent payments to force a crisis);
  5. inform the tenant the lease is broken and they have 7 days to vacate themselves and the trailer (in most counties, by law, a reason for termination is not required to be given by the park management/owner);
  6. more often than not, a buyer has insufficient money to both pay for the trailer to be moved and secure a space in another park;
  7. if the buyer does have the funds, they and their moving team are usually prevented from moving a trailer out of the park by a preplanned obstruction, such as digging up the street to work on a sewer line, before or on the final day, and;
  8. once the 7 days are up, the trailer is liened, preventing its sale, a lawsuit against the buyer threatened and the buyer is forced to abandon the trailer, surrender the title and walk away from the trailer price and any & all materials & labor put into the trailer, usually running in the additional thousands.
See how that works? And the management/owner will simply tell you "It's not personal...it's business".

Of course it's business to them...it's personal to you. They lose nothing...you do. And they hide behind that quip all day long to take the edge off their consciences, reap your work and sucker the next person in with your former trailer to apply, lather, rinse, repeat. I saw it happen in some states...looks like it goes on in Kentucky, too. Seems to be a common trade secret/shortcut.

That's what you get for following in the spirit of the law: you get the letter.

I'm not saying all parks do this...but it seems many, if not most, do. I've done enough research on many parks in the area after coming close to getting burned last week to discover most are owned by large LLCs...with one LLC that stands out. Someone fought back in a class-action suit which gained considerable media attention; the case can be found here. I'm still seeking a verdict report. But if you read the complaint, you'll get the gist of what I'm saying: shystery.

And so, the search continues. The opportunities are vanishing but I keep at it.
I think you will be best off to find one on a half acer or more land and borrow the money to buy it and the property out right. I know that they must be harder to find that way but there has to be a few out there. If you can find a fixer upper on some land that holds enough value is the key because most banks won't loan very much on a older trailer house alone. Although we looked into some doublewides many years ago and in Oklahoma If they are placed on a poured foundation instead of setting on blocks they are more apt to finance it longer and insure it more like a site built house. Of course that all adds to the cost but if you can find one that the land values would make good collateral as you can finance the land and not the house. That will save a lot as you don't have to insure the house if the loan is on the property. Keep looking I know it feels like it is taking forever and you want to be close to the family but you damn sure don't want to get caught in one of those scams. You will find something.

And so another evolution to the process arrives: the simple truth is that mobile home parks which offer fixer-upper mobile homes for sale are treacherous trailer-grabbers. This isn't a Kentucky thing...it's an everywhere thing. So I've changed my tack and now seek out a tandem-axle camper to buy & fix up to put in a park. At least if things go south, I can hitch up and drive it away for far less than $2,500. It's not a bad thing, really, to go through this: I can still fix it up inside as I need it and still live the baby life in it. Plus I have access to the truck with which to haul it. That can do until I can buy something a bit bigger that's already on a small patch of land. All in all, the better way to go.

Sounds like towing operations in Chicago. Immortalized in song by the late Steve Goodman.

• Thinking
  • Thinking
BobbiSueEllen said:
And so another evolution to the process arrives: the simple truth is that mobile home parks which offer fixer-upper mobile homes for sale are treacherous trailer-grabbers. This isn't a Kentucky thing...it's an everywhere thing. So I've changed my tack and now seek out a tandem-axle camper to buy & fix up to put in a park. At least if things go south, I can hitch up and drive it away for far less than $2,500. It's not a bad thing, really, to go through this: I can still fix it up inside as I need it and still live the baby life in it. Plus I have access to the truck with which to haul it. That can do until I can buy something a bit bigger that's already on a small patch of land. All in all, the better way to go.
You can find some pretty good deals on some of those RV trader sites. If you have a truck that will handle a gooseneck or fifth wheel they pull so much better than a bumper pull. Much safer too. They put the weight down a few inches before the back axel. Bumper pulls unload weight from the front tires as they hook up a few feet behind the back axel. Plus the extra room they have.

• Thinking
Well, I can forget fifth-wheel campers now: all the leads for affordable campers will not return my e-mails or calls. Quite flakey. So...now I peruse any apartment complexes with studio or one-bed apartments. Frustrating...

Lynchburg has a very large RV business and I suppose they sell used RVs. Perhaps your area has a business like that?

It's just as well this all goes on right about now, as the window of opportunity for safe travel to Kentucky in my minivan & trailer is rapidly deteriorating:
  • the Ogden Gap in the Utah Rockies (Interstate 84) is getting icier, colder with snow;
  • Wyoming's trademark winds & gusts are here now, with less snow & ice than the Ogden Gap;
  • Nebraska's weather is better but still gusty in the western half;
  • Missouri has lots of rain plus gusts until St. Louis, and;
  • it does improve a lot once in Illinois & Indiana...
...but the first 2/3 of the voyage isn't worth the risk to my van, trailer, possessions...and others, including myself. I-84 is a bear enough to travel on during Construction Season, when the weather's optimal, but even more so when the weather is marginal or tricky...especially with loads of semis, winds, ice and crazy car drivers.

Over the last year, I've really gone over my minivan: it now has newer tires, new suspension, brakes, wheel bearings...the engine is overhauled, the transmission has received a minor overhaul & upgrades...the drive axles are in terrific shape. For all intents & purposes, it hasn't been in this good of condition since new! The trailer is new, plus it received a new-tire upgrade (tougher tread, more belts, higher load- and speed-rating than factory-issued tires). I'd rather not sacrifice it all to an impatient, self-privileged car driver who cares only about themselves and turns I-84 into a No-Man's Land of scattered semis & cars with their weaving in-n-out and brake checks. I've got too much to lose to be a part of that...

...that and explaining to all & sundry (cops included) why teddy bears, big-baby clothing and giant disposable diapers flew out of my minivan after it rolled, as I pick up said ejecta (or flotsam?).

Or, I could be like Jenna in Arthur, "Jenna's Bedtime Blues": "A dia-per?! Hey, is there a ba-by here? If they con-fess, may-be we’ll give them a bot-tle!" 🤭 ...or "IDidn'tDoItNobodySawMeYouCan'tProveAThing!" 🤣

And that's the biggest reason why I wait to get to Kentucky to build my crib, LOL! Could you imagine??? 😲👶🧸🍼🤣🤣🤣😔

Last edited:
Reactions: dogboy
I need to get this off my mind...it's not really move-related, only a little.

Remember when I was working on that green Metro to sell? I was looking for a transmission for it because the one in it was not working right. I put an ad up...3 days later, an e-mail arrived from a gal who had a friend with a Metro who was interested in selling parts off of it and gave me his location. So I drove over to meet her friend one warm end-of-September day...

When I arrived, it was a sad sight: the friend was living in his Metro in a vacant lot, along with a few other folks there. We made contact, we talked: he was getting together money to go back home and would sell me his transmission out of his car. It ran but the driver's side drive axle was exploded in a bad way. He then also said there was a title loan on the car, a red flag; I explained to him that we could both get into trouble if he sold me the transmission, himself more so. So I offered to return in two days with another drive axle so the car would at least move outta there if he needed to.

The young man, David (not his real name), was 35, tallish, lean and scrappy-looking...and also very quiet-spoken, unsure of his wording, introverted. He communicated well enough but I had to ask him to speak up a little more, and frequently...which he did. He seemed frustrated at himself for not being able to keep that up. He clearly did not belong on the streets--nobody does, really, but this guy was clearly at deep risk.

Two days later, I returned with the axle to David's lot. The sight that greeted me made my jaw drop: David was standing in front of his Metro with blood dripping from his right wrist & hand. Both doors of his Metro were almost hanging, their tops yanked away from the body, no longer able to close. A big hole was in the left rear window...which explained the blood. He was standing there, crying, so without a word I guided him to a concrete block to sit on, which he did. All I could say was "Take all the time you need, I won't say anything"...and watch him.

After a few minutes, he regained some composure and began talking: someone lured him up from Dallas with the typical online promises...and dropped him cold. He wanted to get back home, was trying to raise money, couldn't get a job, was too proud to beg or steal. Ya can't take that from a guy...but what was on his heart was that he had a 13-year-old son there in Dallas he wanted to get back to. He had tried and tried...and wasn't getting anywhere. It all came out and he took it out on the car, now totalled.

Another homeless guy, Bryce (not his real name), came up and said "We've been trying to get him home. We can't get the money. He don't belong here". So after the tears were over, the blood cleaned up and the hand bandaged, I asked David "When was the last time you ate?" and he shrugged. We got him pizza and a pack of cigs, then he felt better. We drove around in my car awhile, too: he was formulating a plan, trying to put his brain cells together to get something going. I could see it. We all spent a few hours together, thinking, planning...seemingly drawing up blanks. But I had to go so I asked David if there was anything he needed before I left: he said no, so I left, told him I'd be back in a couple or few days.

I used that time to think, after I sold the green Metro and got money for it. It was a good payday, better than I expected. And so, 3 days later, I returned to the vacant lot after sunset, where Bryce was sweeping up. It was starting to get quite chilly and damp at night now in the Treasure Valley. Together, we awoke David, who came out sluggishly, wiped the sleep out of his eyes, composed himself. It was then I made the proposal...

"David, I've been thinking: you've impressed everyone here in this lot, they really care about you. They know what you're going through, they're trying to help you and it isn't easy. You have a son back in Dallas and that's worth fighting to get to. I know you want that...badly. I know you're also a proud man but listen and think about what I'm gonna say...seriously think it over.

"If you had the way to get back to Dallas and be with your boy, no strings attached, nothing taken or expected from you...would you do it? Remember, I know you're proud and I respect that, but sometimes pride only goes so far." David shifted uneasily on the picnic table. "Are you worried about paying back? You're proud, fine. But I don't want anything in return. At all. I just sold my green Metro, got some money. I can get you a plane ticket out of here, back to Dallas. All I need you to do is say you will or not...but if you do this, you're committed...do you understand?"

Bryce spoke up: "David, take it. Go back to your son. We love you but this ain't no place for you...you can't make it out here. You got family and your boy in Dallas. You've got something. Go..." I gulped...

That stunned me: I've interacted with homeless groups before and if there's one clear thing, they're all fiercely proud, very together. Tribe-like. They don't like hand-outs and they'll get aggressive if you persist. This was stunningly different.

David was silent, his gears were turning. I offered to return in two days to let him consider it and went home. Two nights later, it was a downright cold, damp night when I returned to David's place and asked if he'd made a decision. To my pleasant surprise, it was "Okay". And within 15 minutes, I had a flight booked up for him that went from Boise to Seattle for a layover...then directly to Dallas. And we sat, had some McD's, talked...David was still rather bereft, the street had taken so much joy out of him. But you could sense he was happy enough. I told David & Bryce I'd be back in a few days with face masks for the flight and to take David around to get anything else he needed for the trip home. We waved, I drove off into another cold night.

Deep in my mind on the freeway back to Boise, it occurred: there are stories of others who tried to help people in disadvantaged situations to get out of them...only for the other to either change their minds and deny the help at the Moment of Truth...or to simply wander off. I'd asked Bryce in-private if he could keep David together and present...he said he would, firmly, so there was that. We even shook on it. But still...it wasn't the loss of money from a non-refundable ticket that worried me at all. It was the loss of an opportunity out of despair. Pride? Any number of factors. But I held out hope for David, he seemed like such an earnest soul. You could sense it.

Some time passed and two days ago, I went back out to deliver David's masks, to psych him up for the trip, get him all prepared. His car was empty. But I remembered that this was just before the time everyone arrived back from their rounds at the various churches, missions, shelters and so on. And it'd rained, adding a cutting chill to the night air. That's when you wonder about your new friends' well-being, if they're warm and clothed well enough. Before long, Bryce returned, sauntering slowly, twirling his broom like a baton, as usual, in the damp night.

"Bryce!"

He waved, uttered a gutsy "Eh?"

"Hey, have ya seen David?" I asked as he drew nearer.

"Yeah, but he's gone."

My heart sank. "Wha...??? What happened?"

At about that time, a store clerk on break came over, chatted in. He knew all the guys here. "You're the guy who got Dave his ticket?" I nodded.

Between puffs off his cigarette, the clerk said "Hey, look: you did okay. Day before yesterday, a guy drove in from Washington, looking for Dave. We were worried the guy was a fake but Dave said it was his brother, the guy even showed his ID. The last-names matched. He stayed with us for an hour or two, we talked, we felt good about it. They got in the truck and they were gone." I smiled a bit; not the patronizing, dry, unconvincing smile so many others do but a real one. David was not only safe but with family. They could take it from there.

"You lost money on the airline ticket," the clerk said, "that was tough."

"I don't mind," I told him, "it was a risk. Doesn't matter who or how, plans change. It was a cheap ticket anyway. What matters is that Dave's safe. His plans are coming together". Pause. "I think that's worth losing a little money over. I just wanted to say 'Good-bye' to him..."

The three of us stood there under a dim sodium lamp, talking, thinking, having a cig or two...quietly celebrating in our own way. Then I excused myself, told Bryce I'd drive on in every few days so we could talk before I left town. He was okay with that. And we went our separate ways.

Just a little while ago, Alaska Airlines Flight 277 arrived in Seattle with one less passenger: he was a few miles north, with his brother. Safe. Warm. Fed. Getting his life together. And in a little while, Alaska Flight 716 to Dallas will leave Seattle with one less passenger, too. And the streets have one less potential victim.

I'd say it was money well-risked.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: dogboy, KrankyPants and ade
Back