Which of the two Big Diaper Brands (Pampers and Huggies) do you think is more big/famous?

PurpleScorpion

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Other
I'm sure their net worth could be calculated and mathematically decided but that's not what I'm interested in. Which do you think pops into the head first? If Family Feud surveyed people and asked randos to name a diaper brand, which would be higher scoring?

Huggies, because there's not such thing as Pampers here in NZ. I'd never heard of them until I read about them on the net.

Depends on your area you live in. I'm pretty sure pampers dominates USA. Thing is studies like that will still vary in the USA. More poorer areas might think of luvs first or Kirkland diapers. Also part of me feels people just assume x y or z diaper is better based on what others say are good.

Also I'm pretty sure pampers and huggies change their brand name in some countries., I've seen so baby diapers in other countries that look like legit pampers design but different name.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Pampers is bigger in Europe and in Africa. Believe it or not, Pull-ups and Drynites are not as common in other European countries as they are in the UK and other western countries. I get the idea that wipes are the only thing that Huggies manufactures in many countries. Pampers on the other hand manufactures regular diapers and pull-up pants and they are all over the place. Oh, and Huggies is practically non-existent in Africa, except for South Africa and maybe a few other countries.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and Deleted member 56273
K&C sells Kleenex facial tissues in many European countries, including Greece.

I never seen Huggies or Depend sposies on local grocery stores yet.

kratox said:
Also I'm pretty sure pampers and huggies change their brand name in some countries.

P&G sells their Pampers products in Turkey using the Prima marque.

Pampers are bigger here that locals refer to baby diaper as Pampers like how they call toothpaste as Colgate :p

And here I thought Pampers would have the advantage by having... what, 10, 20 years of being around older than Huggies?

I'm not sure if this is unique to the NJ/NYC area or not but I know many of my older family member like parents and grandparents would use the eponym "Pampers". I remember my stepfather especially would always say "Kev, you need to get your Pampers on before you fall asleep" no matter if I was wearing Pampers, Huggies, or anything else. It drove me nuts when he called my Goodnites "pampers" LOL.
Because of that, I think Pampers would be slightly more "famous".

Reactions: baliebox4916 and BobbiSueEllen
At least when I was growing up back in the 70s and 80s Pampers were more well-known.
I’m not entirely sure whether that’s still the case, though.

PurpleScorpion said:
And here I thought Pampers would have the advantage by having... what, 10, 20 years of being around older than Huggies?
AJFan2020 said:
At least when I was growing up back in the 70s and 80s Pampers were more well-known.
I’m not entirely sure whether that’s still the case, though.
Pampers are 17 years older than Huggies; they were the dominant disposable diaper in the US since their introduction in 1961. At the time, Kimberly-Clark had their disposable diaper called "Kimbies", introduced in 1968. Whereas Pampers were fanfold/pleated, Kimbies started out the same way: flat, rectangular...but that's where the similarity ended: Kimbies were folded into a shape which ended up triangular, ending up as a rather good, unique form-fitting diaper. In addition, from their introduction, Kimbies used adhesive tapes (an innovation that Pampers would not introduce on their diapers until 1971). But Pampers maintained a staggering market dominance, merely by virtue of having been there first and overwhelmingly. Kimbies struggled until their replacement, "Huggies", came onto the scene in 1978, followed by P&G's "Luvs" brand...both aimed at gaining dominance over Pampers' "saggy, gappy" shape (Pampers abandoned the fanfold, pleated shape and joined the "hourglass set" in 1985; I remember that too well, unsuccessfully trying to seek out fanfold Pampers in early 1985).

Oddly enough, Kimbies soldiered on to at least 1985 when they appeared on the Miami Vice episode "Buddies", where a young mother fleeing mobsters is seeking refuge along with her baby; at one point, her baby's diaper bag shows a triangular disposable diaper...undeniably Kimbies. :unsure:

Reactions: Vistavision99, Eclectic, KrankyPants and 1 other person
The hourglass design was already dominant with Luvs and Attends during the mid-to-late '70s.

In the early 1990s P&G developed their own 6-tab design with Attends Waistband Briefs following the successful formula KC did with Depend 2 decades earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pampers by far. They predated Huggies(Kimbies) by a decade and were essentially the innovator of disposables. There have been times in the 80's & 90's where Huggies had more of the market share, but I mean Pampers...they literally have deals with hospitals to them away to new parents when their kids are born.

I know people who refer to diapers as "pampers" with the two terms being interchangeable.

Reactions: KrankyPants and BobbiSueEllen
I'd say Pampers, considering that you can't get Huggies nappies anywhere in Europe besides Italy, I think. You can buy DryNites and pullups etc. but they probably don't make as much as Pampers and aren't known as well maybe.

Both 100% equal in Canada ..... huggies available are costco so anyone buying there uses only them ....when I babysat most families bought both - assuming whatever was on sale. Both have same shelf space in stores so they sell about the same - but pull ups/goodnites DEFINITELY out compete pampers hands down.

Related question: Do you think the gap between... whichever of those two is second, and the 'third place' (Luvs) is small, or big?

PurpleScorpion said:
Related question: Do you think the gap between... whichever of those two is second, and the 'third place' (Luvs) is small, or big?
Luvs is only available in the US/Canada I believe. Not a worldwide thing so couldn't say for sure that it's 3rd if you consider all the brands worldwide.

CookieMonstah said:
Luvs is only available in the US/Canada I believe. Not a worldwide thing so couldn't say for sure that it's 3rd if you consider all the brands worldwide.
Luvs not available in Canada anymore (was back in day because that’s what I wore as baby). But not anymore, I have never seen packages of them ever, at least off market for at least last 20 years

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
I can definitely understand how this would differ by locale. For me, though, "Pampers" is more synonymous with "diapers" than any other disposable diaper brand.

That's not to say I don't strongly identify with Huggies and Luvs, though. When I got around to buying my own diapers as a kid, I went for Pampers first, and the girl kind became a longtime favorite, but I also loved the idea of wearing something named "Huggies." That name was just so incredibly blushy and humiliating to a teen boy. So yeah, I went though quite a few bags of Huggies also. :)

Reactions: Vistavision99 and BobbiSueEllen
In Australia it would be Huggies. Pampers haven't been sold here since the 1990s, at least by the manufacturer (a few online retailers import them).

BobbiSueEllen said:
Pampers are 17 years older than Huggies; they were the dominant disposable diaper in the US since their introduction in 1961. At the time, Kimberly-Clark had their disposable diaper called "Kimbies", introduced in 1968. Whereas Pampers were fanfold/pleated, Kimbies started out the same way: flat, rectangular...but that's where the similarity ended: Kimbies were folded into a shape which ended up triangular, ending up as a rather good, unique form-fitting diaper. In addition, from their introduction, Kimbies used adhesive tapes (an innovation that Pampers would not introduce on their diapers until 1971). But Pampers maintained a staggering market dominance, merely by virtue of having been there first and overwhelmingly. Kimbies struggled until their replacement, "Huggies", came onto the scene in 1978, followed by P&G's "Luvs" brand...both aimed at gaining dominance over Pampers' "saggy, gappy" shape (Pampers abandoned the fanfold, pleated shape and joined the "hourglass set" in 1985; I remember that too well, unsuccessfully trying to seek out fanfold Pampers in early 1985).

Oddly enough, Kimbies soldiered on to at least 1985 when they appeared on the Miami Vice episode "Buddies", where a young mother fleeing mobsters is seeking refuge along with her baby; at one point, her baby's diaper bag shows a triangular disposable diaper...undeniably Kimbies. :unsure:
We had Kimbies as a brand here until the late 1980s (or possibly the early 1990s) when Huggies were introduced.

Back