Diaper covers instead of plastic pants for hot climate

inconsurferdude

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I recently moved and it's my first summer in a much warmer climate with crazy humidity. I've worn plastic pants + onesie over my disposables for years but its making me sweat so much here. Thinking about trying diaper covers like these instead. They're designed for an insert but I'm looking mainly for something breathable to keep my disposables in place. Does anyone have any experience using something like this over a disposable? Its been so humid lately that I had to stop wearing my onesies because they'll be soaked with sweat after a fifteen minute walk. I've already switched to thinner diapers, and I'm changing pretty frequently because of that. So odor control is less of an issue, since I'm rarely in the same diaper for more than two or three hours now. Thanks in advance

Although I live in a warm, semi-arid climate, I don't have to deal with any significant humidity. That said, summers can be tough. Due to the severity of my OAB and incontinence I wear a premium, high capacity diaper with a booster pad and plastic pants. I am not a fan of breathable diapers or diaper covers as I am concerned about odors and dampness, so plastic-backed diapers and conventional plastic pants are my preference. I spend enough time in air conditioned spaces that summer heat is more annoying than a serious health issue. I also go undiapered for a couple of hours daily in the evening to give my skin a break. I have found that with hydration and regular diaper changes, I can maintain health skin hygiene.

Reactions: inconsurferdude
schooner said:
Although I live in a warm, semi-arid climate, I don't have to deal with any significant humidity.
The humidity is what I'm trying to get used to. I've never experienced anything like it.
schooner said:
I am not a fan of breathable diapers or diaper covers as I am concerned about odors and dampness, so plastic-backed diapers and conventional plastic pants are my preference. I spend enough time in air conditioned spaces that summer heat is more annoying than a serious health issue.
Same, I haven't worn anything with a breathable backing since I started having to wear pullups again. I don't like them, but now that bowel issues are much less frequent they are at least an option. The problem is cloth backed stretch out so much more than the plastic disposable I'm used to, especially without a onesie. So I really just want something to hold them up. I'm changing frequently, but since I'm drinking so much water to stay hydrated I'm almost always in a sagging diaper.

I had tried many different types of plastic pants over my diaper. I always liked the look but found them too hot and too tight and painful around the thighs.
A little while ago Mommy got me some diaper covers to try. Much like the one you posted a link to. I like them very much! They look really cute, they keep in leaks and are so much more comfortable. They are cooler and more breathable and dont cut into my skin. I definitely recommend them.

Saltedcaramel64 said:
I like them very much! They look really cute, they keep in leaks and are so much more comfortable. They are cooler and more breathable and dont cut into my skin. I definitely recommend them.
Thank you! I think I'll give them a try. Have you noticed any difference in odor compared to plastic pants?

inconsurferdude said:
Thank you! I think I'll give them a try. Have you noticed any difference in odor compared to plastic pants?
They do a pretty good job of keeping odor down. Much better then no diaper cover, but not as good as plastic pants. If plastic pants are a 10 for odor control, I'd give the covers an 8.

Saltedcaramel64 said:
If plastic pants are a 10 for odor control, I'd give the covers an 8.
Sounds great, btw do you prefer snaps or velcro?

inconsurferdude said:
Sounds great, btw do you prefer snaps or velcro?
I like snaps because I have found velcro gets loose and stops working after multiple machine washes.

Saltedcaramel64 said:
I like snaps because I have found velcro gets loose and stops working after multiple machine washes.

That's been my experience as well, so these days I buy only items with snaps. The only velcro diapers or covers that I've seen hold up over the long term are from Dependeco.

Reactions: BiBoyDustin
My three suggestions are: PUL waterproof pants by Gary, Taffeta Nylon waterproof pants from Babykins, and Kleinert's nylon waterproof pants.

Back