Are Any of You ABDL for no Reason? Let me Explain...

Are You ABDL for no Particular Reason?

• Total voters
I'm kinda the same here. I mostly just got into ABDL for the comfort and aesthetic. No incontinence, mental health issues, or childhood abuse to speak of.

Though I will say, this past 2021 I've been using this community alot to fill a void in my social life. I was hit hard by the Covid lockdown mentally speaking, and I still haven't fully cope with it to this day (though things are slowly getting better thankfully).

Anyways bad things aside, yeah I don't have much reason for being an ABDL other than that diapers feel cute and comfy to wear. 😌

• Sad
Reactions: Dandelion, Woncrinklz, wettingagain and 1 other person
Certainly an interesting question. I spent a great deal of time thinking about it when I was younger. Wondering why I was like this, how I came to be so "broken." It clearly wasn't normal behavior and I felt like I needed a rational explanation.

I can recall only a few key moments involving diapers as I grew up. One in the 3-6 age range, one in the 8-10 age range, and another in my early teens. They are, respectively, being punished (put back in a diaper) for a pants/bedwetting issue, the discovery of some random unattended diapers that I chose to play with, and when my parents found my stash of makeshift diapers. I honestly don't know when and where I came to understand that there were others like me and that the behavior had a "name." It was certainly after all of these.

Many times I have made a case for the first event being a "cause" for ab/dl behavior. To myself anyway. I was young, but old enough to be out of diapers and old enough to be slightly embarrassed by this punishment. The early part of that age range right around the age of my little self. The fact that I remember that event specifically suggests that it was important enough for a strong imprint, and I have spent a fair amount of time wondering about it. I'm not even sure I would go so far as to call the punishment abuse. By today's standards, perhaps.

Now I view it as more of a chicken v. egg problem. Is this a cause or contribution to the behavior, or simply the consequence of that behavior expressing itself at a young age?

Honestly, I don't think it's possible to know the answer to that question and at this point in my life, I find I don't really care. I'm slowly coming around to accept that it's just one part of who I am, and that's enough. 💕

• Love
Reactions: ABDElsa and Subtlerustle
ShyBoo81 said:
I'm kinda the same here. I mostly just got into ABDL for the comfort and aesthetic. No incontinence, mental health issues, or childhood abuse to speak of.

Though I will say, this past 2021 I've been using this community alot to fill a void in my social life. I was hit hard by the Covid lockdown mentally speaking, and I still haven't fully cope with it to this day (though things are slowly getting better thankfully).

Anyways bad things aside, yeah I don't have much reason for being an ABDL other than that diapers feel cute and comfy to wear. 😌
Same! Comfort and aesthetic. Luckily I haven't been affected socially by COVID much as I was not very Social to begin with as I am a loner, an introvert who likes alone time (not just because it means I can engage in ABDL, but just to do whatever I want by myself, play video games, watch movies etc.) However I have been laid off twice due to COVID so, I'm really hoping things get better soon so, I can return. But yeah also bad things aside too, I agree Diapers are cute and comfy to wear.

Reactions: ShyBoo81
sdweasel said:
Certainly an interesting question. I spent a great deal of time thinking about it when I was younger. Wondering why I was like this, how I came to be so "broken." It clearly wasn't normal behavior and I felt like I needed a rational explanation.

I can recall only a few key moments involving diapers as I grew up. One in the 3-6 age range, one in the 8-10 age range, and another in my early teens. They are, respectively, being punished (put back in a diaper) for a pants/bedwetting issue, the discovery of some random unattended diapers that I chose to play with, and when my parents found my stash of makeshift diapers. I honestly don't know when and where I came to understand that there were others like me and that the behavior had a "name." It was certainly after all of these.

Many times I have made a case for the first event being a "cause" for ab/dl behavior. To myself anyway. I was young, but old enough to be out of diapers and old enough to be slightly embarrassed by this punishment. The early part of that age range right around the age of my little self. The fact that I remember that event specifically suggests that it was important enough for a strong imprint, and I have spent a fair amount of time wondering about it. I'm not even sure I would go so far as to call the punishment abuse. By today's standards, perhaps.

Now I view it as more of a chicken v. egg problem. Is this a cause or contribution to the behavior, or simply the consequence of that behavior expressing itself at a young age?

Honestly, I don't think it's possible to know the answer to that question and at this point in my life, I find I don't really care. I'm slowly coming around to accept that it's just one part of who I am, and that's enough. 💕
I guess it's just one of the great mysteries of life we don't really have an answer to.

I have gotten into just as a kink after seeing a bunch of pictures on sites such as tumblr, bdsmlr, twitter and fetlife. Since I have a submissive streak the idea of being put into diapers really scratches that submissive/humiliation itch that I get from time to time.

• Love
Reactions: iPeedLV, buridan and ABDElsa
SecretlyABDL94 said:
I guess it's just one of the great mysteries of life we don't really have an answer to.
That's because people rarely consider the possibility that diaper desires and regression desires could be caused by the same natural process that causes heterosexual desires. People automatically think that everything in the normal range of social/sexual desires is perfectly natural, and everything else, therefore, must be some kind of mental disorder. I believe it might be possible, in rare cases, that childhood abuse could cause a lifelong attraction to diapers, but this seems very unlikely in light of more modern research into how social/sexual desires are first formed.

• Sad
Reactions: ABDElsa
ShyBoo81 said:

I sorta just found the website. For myself I like to wet my pants. I think it's a stress release and I like the sensations. (lately; work has been very stressful) In the last 1.5 months I've re-discoverd diapers . (wetting my pants require alot of clean-up, towels, protection, washing etc, so the alternative is a diaper. Wearing and using a diaper is definitely a stress release and has it's own sensations.)

There is no other reason for me to wear/use a diaper expect that I really like it. It's relaxing and fun.

• Love
Reactions: sinceiwassmall, ShyBoo81 and ABDElsa
I think I am missing an option of: I'm not sure and I don't care xD.

In my case, I wet the bed until I was 9 or 10 years old, and I don't know if that influenced my taste for wearing diapers, but it's not something that particularly worries me xD

• Love
Reactions: DaddysLittleMermaid and ABDElsa
I grew up as a bedwetter but it was before the days of Goodnites so always had wet beds. And when I was in 5th grade, I had wondered what it was like wearing them so I was able to take a couple from my cousin’s diaper bag. I think my cousin was like 3 years old so the diapers was pretty big and was able to fit in it. From that day, I thought I was in heaven feeling the padding between my legs. And it all started from there.

• Love
I wanted to wear diapers at age four. No good reason. Just wanted to.

• Love
Reactions: DavidNixon, tam1623 and ABDElsa
Since I have strong sub tendencies the idea of a Mommy Domme putting me in a diaper scratches a lot of my itches so that is why I am into it.

• Love
I don't like being that statistic of being both kinky and a little (these are separate for me) because of trauma, but here I am. I did suffer abuse in childhood and in adulthood because of my biological mother. Fortunately, I am now no longer dependent on her. Being little is comforting to me and I've found it helps me with self-care, which, embarassingly enough, is something that I have struggled with all of my life. It's like I'm trying to be the gentle loving Mommy that I've always needed. :)

• Love
Reactions: lilbabyjooce, Angelapinks, Lyric and 1 other person
I have always had a "thing" for plastic pants, and later, for latex. I can remember hiding Gerber plastic baby pants in my parents house as an adolescent. I almost died when my father once found a pair I had hidden in the bathroom. I would wear them in the shower... Later I found that diapers went well with plastic pants and the sissy aesthetic. Having said all that, who can explain the origins of a fetish? Not me...

• Love
Reactions: tam1623, ABDElsa and Luvshugs
I don't know exactly why I became an ABDL. The only explanation that I could give was that I wore diapers up until I was about 5, since I wasn't really ready to use the toilet when I was still in preschool. This had me remember having my diaper changed a few times, from what I could recall. After I was potty trained, I wanted to be in diapers again after looking at Pampers and Huggies commercials growing up. The closest that I had with wearing them again was with a pack of Goodnites that I still kept when I was about 6. However, it didn't turn into a fetish until I was about 11. All while I didn't get to use another diaper until I was 18.

• Love
The reason I started is completely inexplicable. I was 3. I had an ABC board book that had a picture of a baby in a diaper for B. I had read that ABC board book many times before, but for some reason, on that particular day, I saw that and for no reason at all, I wanted to wear diapers and act like a baby. Since I didn't have access to any diapers that I knew of, I took my shorts off and pretended my underwear was a diaper. Then my mom came in and told me to put my shorts back on.

Ironically, I started bedwetting around 4, at least that's what I remember, and got put into diapers (pull ups) after a while of it.

My mom did have some mental issues, so maybe that had something to do with it, but I don't remember anything specific.

Last edited:
  • Love
Actually was not sure how to answer that poll.
I have ALWAYS had 24/7 IC (and other) issues, things were a bit different than today when I went to school - did have things like spankings used on me both at home and school (the policy at the ones I went to was the nurse had to be the one to do that) - but actually NEVER saw what was done as particularly abusive, at the time, or now - actually believe it or not, actually did find it helpful (honestly still is, for a lot of things, but that's getting off topic)..
NEVER view that as a "reason" for ABDL though, that just sort of happened, although just because with other issues besides IC, lots of AB-type items were always around (but not seen that way at the time) because it made things MUCH easier on everyone - including myself.
Actually didn't even know of the term ABDL until in my early 20s - found be accident totally - was actually doing a search for IC forums, and LOTS with both came up. Just looking at them, realized I had been involved with a lot of what was posted on the ABDL subs for as long as I could remember, the only REAL difference is they seemed to have no reason other than they liked it, while I had REAL reasons. But all the same otherwise.
So the basic idea, while there are some things you may see as a "reason", while yes they existed - some to a greater degree than others - I really don't believe one really had anything to do with the other - other than MAYBE never had the whole "This is not normal" thing going on, because it was always "normal" for me, because there was legit/useful reasons for it, so...

• Love
Reactions: ABDElsa and sdweasel
I have no idea. I was potty trained at two, no bedwetting to speak of and only a few episodes of daytime accidents at three. I had wonderful parents, a loving family, and no major trauma that I know of. All I know is that sometime around the age of five I started having these desires, and they continued on and off throughout my life.

• Love
Reactions: tam1623, diaperedinpa, ABDElsa and 1 other person
Back