UK disposable nappy nostalgia 80s/90s

Status
Not open for further replies.
activefit said:

Hi,

They also did pleated disposable diapers as well.

normal_s-l1600~72.jpg

Improvements such as a much softer liner and a new Maxi Plus size for larger toddlers and heavy wetters occured in 1982.

normal_tumblr_p2rl87Bjc71wgy3qto3_1280.jpg

There were also value packs in cardboxes like Pampers from that era

s-l1600~2.jpg

Elastic comfort gathers and larger resealable tabs were added in 1985 before Viopharm went into bankruptcy and closed their doors in the early 1990s

normal_s-l1600~22.jpg

Mega Disposables revived the brand in 2007

TIMELINE_BL_OLD_370X370.png

The transition from plastic backing to cloth-like covers began a decade ago

normal_s-l1600~42.jpg

During that time the first BabyGo pull-up pants made their first debuts

normal_Vintage-1x-Babylino-Junior-Girl-diaper-Pant-12-18kg.jpg

The present day: Babylino Sensitive nappies and pull-up pants with Comfi-Fit technology and playful designs for boys and girls!

bl_sc_no7_18.png

19_bl_pants_no7_goldbeace2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Deleted member 77437
BabyTweetyBird said:
Hi,

normal_s-l1600~72.jpg

Improvements such as a much softer liner and a new Maxi Plus size for larger toddlers and heavy wetters occured in 1982.

s-l1600~2.jpg

Elastic comfort gathers and larger resealable tabs were added in 1985 before Viopharm went into bankruptcy and closed their doors in the early 1990s

normal_s-l1600~22.jpg

normal_s-l1600~42.jpg

The present day: Babylino Sensitive nappies and pull-up pants with Comfi-Fit technology and playful designs for boys and girls!

bl_sc_no7_18.png

I can't remember which one of the first babylino diapers i wore back in1981
It was a period between February and march that my mother use to diaper me with disposables, cause she didn't have an easy access to any laundry (she still prefers cloth with plastic pants) after a devastating earthquake in Athens
I have fog memories.Years after i found in my grannies place a picture of me being in a disposable without tapes.Babylino back in early 80s had booster and Plastic pants apart
Thanks for your reply

Reactions: six13
activefit said:
I can't remember which one of the first babylino diapers i wore back in1981
It was a period between February and march that my mother use to diaper me with disposables, cause she didn't have an easy access to any laundry (she still prefers cloth with plastic pants) after a devastating earthquake in Athens
I have fog memories.Years after i found in my grannies place a picture of me being in a disposable without tapes.Babylino back in early 80s had booster and Plastic pants apart
Thanks for your reply

They indeed did rectangular boosters with Swedish tie-ons in addition to disposables.

Here's an old ad from 1975:

70s_10.jpg

The last batch of tied-up rectangular sposies dates from the early 1990s, featuring colourful illustrations with cute animals. Shortly after the original manufacturer becomes defunct and we had to wait until Mega Disposables resurrects the brand in 2007.

normal_s-l1600~31.jpg

They're also videos from old TV commercials from the early 1980s, hence's these two adverts which aired in 1982.

Reactions: Deleted member 77437, activefit and winterheart01
Reactions: Deleted member 77437
Found this one hiding in an image that I found by searching “Sainsbury’s 1990s”. These are the “Stages” range, of which I still haven’t found a decent image. I remember swiping some of these from the supply of a 3 year old younger brother of a school friend. They were huge on me with rubbery plastic and a blue waistband. Very nice to wear as I recall.

Attachments

• ECF07C2F-DB1A-4A13-A706-A0EFE7073DBB.jpeg
    ECF07C2F-DB1A-4A13-A706-A0EFE7073DBB.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 27
1617126144724.jpeg

1617126216226.jpeg

5534DEBE-0B46-4EF8-8BBB-4F5572AB48DD.jpeg

Another one hiding. Maddening! 😉

Reactions: Blekyss
11051835-BA48-48C3-9960-2E916308BD0C.jpeg

Reactions: Deleted member 53140
What were the dark green Pampers? A version of Baby Dry? Seems to have one too many building block letters to be that?!

PCS said:
Not a UK one but we had the exact same nappies in 1989. Anyone care to translate from the German?

Here is my best take:

Typewriter headline “New Pampers excites boys and girls.”

Voiceover [at the typewriter]:

My name is Nicola Vogt.

As a freelance journalist and mother, I was asked to find out if the new Pampers keep boys and girls much dryer.

[joins the toddlers in front of the sofa] My two children Salwa and Diedrik have helped me with that:

[girl grabs bunny]

First of all, we have tested traditional nappies – at a time when it matters most:

[covers the baby with the blanket]

At night.

Unfortunately, in the mornings, both children have been wet. Diedrik in the front, and Salwa in the centre.

[close up of the Pampers boxes]

Pampers Boy and Girl is a complete game changer.

Both children are nice and dry in the morning. Not only on the outside, but also inside.

Let me show you:

[pours some liquid]

Here is a comparison for you with a traditional nappy.

[grabs some blue paper]

After 30 minutes, if you apply some pressure, the traditional nappy can be wet.

The Pampers though stays nice and dry.

For the three of us one thing has become clear.

The driest boys and girls are mostly Pampers boys and girls.

billybobtombo said:
What were the dark green Pampers? A version of Baby Dry? Seems to have one too many building block letters to be that?!
First generation Pampers trainers late 90's. About the time Pampers went back to unisex.

billybobtombo said:
Pampers trainers. They were Pampers' attempt at a training pant that didn't compete against what was already on the market.

PCS said:
You’re quite correct. I think it was the Argos Superstore ones that did.

They certainly sold Peaudouce- here’s a snip from the 1987 catalogue:

View attachment 51558
What a difference a year makes!
I say because I found,
(Scroll down to the bottom for the albums)

The 1976 compared with the 1986 is interesting for the differences and more expansive choice of the later one, with the catalogue doubling in size/offerings, whilst traditional cloth nappies vanish.

Oh, and not a hint of the neverending 'sales' for which Argos are nowadays infamous.

Last edited:
LstNwf said:
Pampers trainers. They were Pampers' attempt at a training pant that didn't compete against what was already on the market.

Trainers were the precursors to today's Premium Protection Pants (aka Easy-Ups).

Thanks all. Funny, I don't remember them at all!

billybobtombo said:
Thanks all. Funny, I don't remember them at all!
Like Peaudouce Up & Go, they weren’t on the market in the UK long.

They were initially launched in the UK as gender specific around the same time as Huggies Pull-Ups and then went unisex briefly before disappearing altogether.

Horrible colour green compared to the normal Pampers colours, too (in my opinion!).

billybobtombo said:
Horrible colour green compared to the normal Pampers colours, too (in my opinion!).

Only the unisex Ultra Trainers were sold in see-through green bags.

normal_s-l1600-2~88.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 77437, michaelmc and (deleted member)
BabyTweetyBird said:
Hi,

normal_s-l1600~72.jpg

s-l1600~2.jpg

normal_s-l1600~22.jpg

normal_s-l1600~42.jpg

bl_sc_no7_18.png

That second bag is the packaging style used by Cuddlz and ABU, don't know if that's deliberate because it's baby-ish!!!!!!!!!!
-
BW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back