Anyone have the problem saying the word " diaper "

When MM and myself first got together I would say didee . I blushed when I said diaper in front of her , so she says ,, it not a didee its a diaper and that's the word you will use. Her southern pronunciation Dieee-perrrr

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and littlemoosey
Ive heard that Southern accent before say DI-AH-PUR, it sounds great! Luck you.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and lilstevie56
I love the word diaper, but I don't get upset if others call it something else, like nappy.

Last edited:
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Now I feel that way about saying nappies but not diapers. I eventually just got over it though because a lot of my ABDL friends said nappies rather than padding, diapers, pamps etc.

Sgdlboy said:
As a former bedwetter till late teens i couldn't say the word diaper without feeling embarrassed , even back then when i was in secondary school about 15 or 16 just before my bedwetting stopped and my diaper supplies running low , i wore every night back then , i had to tell my mom about restocking my diapers its kinda difficult , I always have trouble saying the word " diaper ". I would be like " mom you know my that thing is running low " and she be like " what thing " and i be like " you know that thing " and she still doesn't know what im talking about and i said " you know the thing i wear to bed at night " and then she got it and said " you mean your diapers " and i would sort of cringe and told her not to call it a diaper .

This was back then of course , even till now i couldn't say the word diaper in front of others , anyone else have trouble saying it or is it just me .
I have been incontinent for several yrs the word diaper didn't hurt me.My wife who was the main reason to return to diapers to keep things dry calls them my stuff.

Kaich said:
Well we say nappy and then forget about it and get on with things...
Do you think the difficulties are due to the effects of protestantism, evangelicalism?
More like parental sadism.

"I am going to load this word, like a weapon, so when you get froggy and jump, I can use it against you."

That is rare.

It could possibly be parental ineptitude about how that would makes your kid feel. If your teenage bedwetting kid goes out of their way to avoid mentioning it, it obviously stings. At least help them understand you don't mean it to hurt.

SpAzpieSweeTot said:
More like parental sadism.

"I am going to load this word, like a weapon, so when you get froggy and jump, I can use it against you."

That is rare.

It could possibly be parental ineptitude about how that would makes your kid feel. If your teenage bedwetting kid goes out of their way to avoid mentioning it, it obviously stings. At least help them understand you don't mean it to hurt.
I see. I think that is worldwide - at least Western.

LilMichy said:
At first it was very hard as I felt ashamed of myself, especially being an ab. However, as I've gotten a little older, I've realized almost exactly what your saying, I'm wearing a DIAPER!!!! and that makes me happy. It comforts me and makes me smile!!

On a side note, Nappy is such a cute term that I would totally embrace too!!! But, being American, its just always been diaper for me. Heck, even cloth diapers seems foreign to me. Plastic diapers with super cute prints all the way!!!
I wear a nappy and it comforts me.

• Love
Briefs or pads, I dislike caling them diapers I’m 24/7 due to I/c

• Wow
Bugmania said:
Oh dear. But they ARE diapers. You DO have a problem. Don't you?

No I don't have problems saying the word "diapers". I did as a young kid thinking if I said the word "diapers" I thought mom and dad would get the wrong idea and go out to a store and buy me diapers as soon as I say "diapers".

Kaich said:
"Shorts" Does that affect your ability to accept and say diaper? Please don't think I'm being critical but Americans seem to have more problems talking about diapers and wetting. Do you think it has anything to do with being a predominantly protestant evangelical nation?
You mean were a nation of anal retentives? ( I made up the word). It’s possible but I’m a Roman Catholic.

Billies1 said:
You mean were a nation of anal retentives? ( I made up the word). It’s possible but I’m a Roman Catholic.
Well I'm Roman Catholic as well. Have been for 45 years. But what does that have to do with anything here?

Reactions: Billies1
Kaich said:
Well I'm Roman Catholic as well. Have been for 45 years. But what does that have to do with anything here?
Simply I’m not the Protestant you mentioned

Billies1 said:
Simply I’m not the Protestant you mentioned
It seemed like a protestant type problem
I apologise

Kaich said:
It seemed like a protestant type problem
I apologise
Nah no problem. I always thought we Catholics were the most uptight about sex

perhaps I’m wrong

Kaich said:
Oh dear. But they ARE diapers. You DO have a problem. Don't you?
I understand we are in the Diaper Talk forum, not the Incontinence Forum, but this comes across very poorly. Coming from someone who is just incontinent, nothing more, that response you tossed aside made perfect sense to me. Incontinence sucks. Its messy, time consuming, stigmatized, embarrassing at times, and despite the fact that it makes no sense, it gives people the sense that something is somehow wrong with you. It interferes with relationships, your sex life... everything. I wouldn't wish true incontinence on anybody, ever. Its a rough life. This is all stuff people on this site have said before, but I think its important to reiterate. Because...

That being said, words are never just words. Its not like "Diapers is just a word, get over it" works for everyone. I've made it a point to try and destigmatize the word in my life so that if it comes up with people, its doesn't hurt to hear. Though I don't revel in the word because that is both not something I want, and something people would find extremely strange or self absorbed, or both. You clearly have owned the word for a long time as well. But not everybody is at or will reach that point, and for people truly suffering from IC, the word carries meaning that really hurts. For many people struggling with long term IC, it carries a connotation of helplessness, infantilism, feebleness, invalid-ness, less-than-fully-human-ness. It can be painful to hear for many, and the sting, if you're not already into diapers, is always kind of in the back of your mind.

That's one reason why "diaper" is such a hard word for so many. Its useful. Its convenient, evocative, descriptive, clear, and to the point. But it also comes with all of these other "riders". Extra implicit meanings that can feel degrading. Struggles with using the word have nothing to do with America being dominantly Evangelical or what have you, which itself is barely even true, if at all. If a person struggles to use the word diaper, its often because they are struggling to come to terms with what it says about them.

Again, I understand that this is not the Incontinence Forum, but the post you responded to specifically mentioned incontinence which necessitated 24/7 wearing.
There are real people out there who struggle with IC problems, who do not want it, who come here specifically looking for support and a community that understands them. Finding active incontinence support groups is surprisingly difficult online. Then they wind up on other parts of the site in an attempt to feel like the diapers they are stuck with for whatever reason can or should be normalized, or just because they feel their question/discussion topic better fits the Diaper Talk Forum than anywhere else. We are not delicate little flowers whose emotional needs should be protected at all costs, but we do read and respond to these types of posts as well. I myself ended up here because I saw the post and it sounded like someone might be struggling with feelings that wearing diapers is degrading, and can't bring themselves to use the term as a result. What I'm trying to say is, it might be a good exercise to consider that a perspective beyond your own, which to be clear I can understand as well, could be legitimate and valuable. Worth respecting rather than flippantly tossing aside and... insinuating that the perspective you don't share is somehow a problem.

• Love
Reactions: CheshireCat, Bugmania, hoimi and 1 other person
Billies1 said:
Nah no problem. I always thought we Catholics were the most uptight about sex

perhaps I’m wrong
Well we were when I was growing up but it's gotten better these days.

Kaich said:
Well we were when I was growing up but it's gotten better these days.
Me too. Glad to hear it’s easier

I dont have a problem saying the Word Diaper, but when I hear I'd I want to got to my little space haha. And I say it alot in little space and if I had a mommy I would want her to say it all the time Haha. 🤗😊🤭

Back