UK disposable nappy nostalgia 80s/90s

Status
Not open for further replies.
1614444413975.jpeg

Boots the Chemist’s offerings in the 1990s.

They also had a range of training pants but I’ve never managed to find any pictures of them.

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 53140, abrich and LittleMissPink
1614444470596.jpeg

Tesco Supermarket own brand nappies from the late 1990s if memory serves.

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 77437 and abrich
1614444526950.jpeg

I think these are late 80s.

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 77437 and abrich
I love the style of the Peadouce-lookalikes, Boots and Tescos. They resemble so much the generic 80's diapers that got me started. Thanks for sharing, I prefer those pure diaper images over children wearing them.
(And if you ever need a translation from German, feel free to let me know, if it escapes me)

Reactions: LittleMissPink
PCS said:
View attachment 50660

They also had a range of training pants but I’ve never managed to find any pictures of them.
I don't know why but white plastic backed with just the babyish landing zone really brings out a nostalgic feeling in me. I was born late 90's and most of the nappies growing up in stores would of been cloth backed (I checked dates of brands and their ads featuring it) so not sure why but this design and style just sparks something deep inside me and evokes a feeling like falling in love when I see it. Sadly the adult variant that is closest to this (SDK's) still don't really match up for me. They still feel fake sadly.

I am really enjoying this thread though so thanks to everyone who's commented.

Last edited:
Amazing finds! Thanks for sharing.

SweetPrincess said:
I don't know why but white plastic backed with just the babyish landing zone really brings out a nostalgic feeling in me. I was born late 90's and most of the nappies growing up in stores would of been cloth backed (I checked dates of brands and their ads featuring it) so not sure why but this design and style just sparks something deep inside me and evokes a feeling like falling in love when I see it. Sadly the adult variant that is closest to this (SDK's) still don't really match up for me. They still feel fake sadly.

I am really enjoying this thread though so thanks to everyone who's commented.

I think it’s the plastic of the nappy itself, sadly.

The plastics used on some EU/US made medical nappies are far more like the plastics used on baby/child nappies in the 80s and 90s.

I think that’s why I find them more evocative than any of the AB/DL offerings which, apart from Crinklz, are all made in China.

Reactions: LittleMissPink and ChocChip
For me the ABU Peekabu is closest to what I remember real diapers being like. I think the SDK plastic is pretty good too. But the plastic Bambino uses is too rough IMO.

Not UK but the nappy types are similar to what we used to get over here:

Reactions: Thalie
PCS said:
View attachment 50660

I remember these! I used to buy these sometimes before I discovered adult-sized nappies. They had better feeling plastic than most of the supermarket brands, but they were cheaper than Pampers.

Reactions: Deleted member 77437
@PCS thanks for the nostalgic feels, this thread is one i always love to revisit. I hope it can live on for quite a while :love:

Reactions: LittleMissPink
winterheart01 said:
@PCS thanks for the nostalgic feels, this thread is one i always love to revisit. I hope it can live on for quite a while :love:
You’re welcome! I found a lot of these in Chemist and Druggist magazine archives. I wonder just how much might be out there that isn’t digitised. I think the image that started all this might be in a mid-late 80s Mothercare catalogue but have not managed to find any in print or online (yet!)

Some things have turned up in the oddest places, like a screen shot from an old episode of Supermarket Sweep being the only place I’ve managed to find a (fuzzy) picture of VIP nappies from the mid 90s.

If anyone else fancies doing a bit of detective work too, feel free to add to this thread! 😁

Last edited:
Reactions: LittleMissPink and winterheart01
I remember there was a period in the late 90s when Argos very briefly sold Pampers. They had a huge whole page spread in the infamous Argos catalogue showing them. I've often tried to find that, but I understand the Argos back-catalogue is now online. Will have a look when I get a min!

You’re quite correct. I think it was the Argos Superstore ones that did.

They certainly sold Peaudouce- here’s a snip from the 1987 catalogue:

018C49D7-7A0E-4817-9405-130819174CF2.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Deleted member 56273 and abrich
“Baby-shaped” nappies? Did they offer ”adult-shaped” ones as an alternative? ;)

ChocChip said:
“Baby-shaped” nappies? Did they offer ”adult-shaped” ones as an alternative? ;)
Hehe, I hadn't thought of that! It's one of those things where the person who came up with that didn't think it through.

1616171700126.jpeg1616171700126.jpeg
A UK version of a US magazine ad

The Argos one I remember would have been about a decade-ish later. Will have a hunt when time permits :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back