Luvs/Pampers Fragrance, 80s baby, Chemist turned Perfumist

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did want to clarity my post earlier. I meant to say perfume forums. I realized later that it may have been mistaken that i was criticizing OP Diaps. I was referring to the many folks on boards like basenotes.com that will routinely say something smells like pampers, only to buy it and find that they are so wrong. In the perfume world, Pampers is synominous with baby powder. The UK list is compelling isn't it? Thanks for sharing that.

Reactions: jellyjigger
I have to disagree a little with the perfume world's view on synonymity: I routinely smell baby powder and routinely smell fresh Pampers & Luvs diapers. There's a difference: baby powder smells good but a bit too perfumey...Pampers' perfume is very distinct and has an irresistible hook to it that snags your olfactory lobe and reels you helplessly, sweetly in to its source. I'm addicted to Pampers' perfume like a junkie...I can pick it out in a crowd. No other smell in the world makes me feel so happy, wonderful and baby-like...including baby powder. Just my .000002 Bitcoin... :unsure:🤗🥰🧸🍼

Last edited:
ArchtopK said:
I did want to clarity my post earlier. I meant to say perfume forums. I realized later that it may have been mistaken that i was criticizing OP Diaps. I was referring to the many folks on boards like basenotes.com that will routinely say something smells like pampers, only to buy it and find that they are so wrong. In the perfume world, Pampers is synominous with baby powder. The UK list is compelling isn't it? Thanks for sharing that.
I'll have to sit down and go through all the saved patents. The oldest I have of sweet dream 18 is 2001 and it was a reprint of a 1995 patent. I've also done patent work and its actually pretty common to hang a lantern on things that are obvious but out of date. It scares off the smaller fish, while you could use the fragrance and be allowed because the patent is out of date. But by listing it over and over again it renews it enough that a judge would give it a first and Expensive look. Thrown out, after time and lawyer fees.

OH and I have a bottle of "exactly like pampers" on route right now of an obscure baby fragrance. OMG I know the pain of "hey it's pampers" Uhh NO... It's why I have chosen my words here carefully.

Here we go, a neat diaper specific example

That's specifically diapers, "absorbent products facing the body". It lists the standard sweet dream 18, BUT the scents I believe could be Attends "Floral Magnifica" is shown evolving, they have low volatile versions of it as well as showing it in state MOD1.

Sweet dream 18 has never changed, I've never found an evolution of it, and for like 20 years the composition hasn't been allowed to be used on anything other than bottled perfume, which could be radioactive, glowing and be legal, ahh the perfume world.

In that patent, here's an example of chemistry oddness.
Table 11 has Phenyl ethyl alcohol
Table 12 has Phenethyl alcohol
Those are the same thing but the naming convention changed a LONG time ago

OH and I'd missed your post about the softener of the same name, cool that they DO list the whole fragrance assembly but I can tell by looking at it it won't smell the same.

Last edited:
I still can't erase from my mind the Animaniacs segment where Dr. Scratchansniff gets a whiff of Hello Nurse and arrogantly utters "Your mother used Pampers". :ROFLMAO: 🥰

Epic statement if ever there was one. I wonder what hooked the writers to lob that one in? :unsure:

Reactions: Diaps
"That makes me feel all kinda warm and squishy, either that or I need to wear diapers" Dot Warner.

• Love
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
We will find it and do a driveby on Attends while we're at it, I'm pretty sure thats actually right next to this is several patents, "floral magnifica"
It lists the standard sweet dream 18, BUT the scents I believe could be Attends "Floral Magnifica" is shown evolving, they have low volatile versions of it as well as showing it in state MOD1.

@Diaps, regarding what you've been saying about Attends. Are you saying that scent on Attends adult diapers up until the mid to late 90s was internally named "Floral Magnifica"?

Many remembering the famous Attends scent have called it "god awful" probably because it didn't offer much discretion for those battling incontinence as it would come out of the diaper when they became wet. I would love to acquire this scent to recapture those memories. For those that don't know or may not remember, this scent screams "old-lady" perfume, however it is unique enough that I haven't been able to find anything close when I've gone to fancy perfume counters sampling scents to try and find something similar under the guise of trying to "surprise my grandma's with her favorite perfume".

Anyway, the idea that this scent may come back to life with your help has gotten me doubly-excited! How does this scent formula compare to the complexity of Luvs/Pampers?

I always thought that early attends smelled alot like Dial soap.

for the smell of dial soap look at santa maria novella muschio oro.

I remember how those Attends smelled. At first, it was a slight put-off but, over time, I learned to love it. It wasn't Pampers but it was unique...and soothing. I swear, P&G is experimenting with mind-control via scents! "You smell Pampers...you feel so very little...just let go of that pressure below your tummy, you'll feel so much better."🤭 :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: BabyZinga and jellyjigger
I swear, P&G is experimenting with mind-control via scents!
As someone who has never shy'ed away from a good conspiracy theory ;) I have wondered if the 80s had some secret tests going on within the highly lucrative and competitive baby diaper market (prior to the abundance of generics) that may have included, among other things, patented scents that have a winning combination of pheromones (like Luvs and Pampers) that are addictive (or have desirable enough qualities) that they could help increase brand strength. Granted, the mothers may have been the target market, but there was no way to prevent all of us "babies" from being deeply affected by these scents. Back before some ingredients were removed, it makes me wonder if any of these ingredients could be addictive.

• Love
jellyjigger said:
As someone who has never shy'ed away from a good conspiracy theory ;) I have wondered if the 80s had some secret tests going on within the highly lucrative and competitive baby diaper market (prior to the abundance of generics) that may have included, among other things, patented scents that have a winning combination of pheromones (like Luvs and Pampers) that are addictive (or have desirable enough qualities) that they could help increase brand strength. Granted, the mothers may have been the target market, but there was no way to prevent all of us "babies" from being deeply affected by these scents. Back before some ingredients were removed, it makes me wonder if any of these ingredients could be addictive.
I can guarantee to you that I am 100%-sold-out-certifiably-addicted to Sweet Dream 18...the perfume P&G uses in Pampers. I crave it, it smells even better than jet exhaust! 🤭 🥰

Reactions: jellyjigger
jellyjigger said:

regarding what you've been saying about Attends. Are you saying that scent on Attends adult diapers up until the mid to late 90s was internally named "Floral Magnifica"?

Many remembering the famous Attends scent have called it "god awful" probably because it didn't offer much discretion for those battling incontinence as it would come out of the diaper when they became wet. I would love to acquire this scent to recapture those memories. For those that don't know or may not remember, this scent screams "old-lady" perfume, however it is unique enough that I haven't been able to find anything close when I've gone to fancy perfume counters sampling scents to try and find something similar under the guise of trying to "surprise my grandma's with her favorite perfume".

Anyway, the idea that this scent may come back to life with your help has gotten me doubly-excited! How does this scent formula compare to the complexity of Luvs/Pampers?
It is my thought, the way it changed over time and then stopped (I'm tracking by chemical naming conventions) seems to show it was ignored around 2000 that's about the time attends was being sold off. Internally they would have stopped work on the fragrance after attends was sold to paperpak. The whole point of this is even If I missed totally, I realized that what we have for diaper scents is itself God awful. You have like 3 choices of off brand babypowder and thats it. Plus all the amazon scents are over the top sweet, when we found out we could bind a sucrose ring to scents some people took that as the new age of scents and never looked back...

ArchtopK said:
I always thought that early attends smelled alot like Dial soap.
Funny you mention that I have an 82 P&G (US4314915) patent that lists a few mixes for use in soaps and shows them being thermally stable enough to be used in hot glues for absorbent products...

The UK example that shows what they have discontinued and these patents is how I plan on making pampers. I know what they were using, and I have a decent perfume base that is diaper like to add too. Once I find the mix it will be tear down and start from scratch with the components I know are in it and discard bits that are extra. OH gawd, like the green scents in SD18 are.... perhaps too much and not needed, imagine frozen veggies in a bag but so strong it's like minty fresh but with veggies instead of mint....

I live in Western Canada and am very interested in your scent concoction! Are you able to send a sample out my way?

fakename said:
I live in Western Canada and am very interested in your scent concoction! Are you able to send a sample out my way?
Indeed I can, back a couple pages there is my address which has been mostly spam bot free, I've got an SD18 and a halfway to my test fragrance card left.

On a even cooler note, while being stupid tired after being up for 24 hours I was looking at 2 screens of perfume formulations and it came to me..

Check this out, we have pampers, SO, for example, @ArchtopK swears he has smelled it in perfume form in a parking lot, I have long suspected that certain formulas were shared between J&J and P&G and further research and conversation with him seems to prove this. It would have been unavoidable, simple creations of scents for example can't be patented or sued over, it's very likely they stole from one another as time went by. Just a quick interesting sidenote as to why J&J powder seems to sometimes get near pampers like scent on it's own under the right circumstances... Also explains why SD18 has all the right end notes, like the pampers that SD18/powder hit wasn't fleeting at all, all the correct notes were there and Powerful...

Dr. Scratchansniff - Your mother used pampers.
Here's what the EU pampers (all 70/80s pampers were alike) doesn't allow anymore...
Pampers premium protection, active fit, baby-dry nappies and pants do not contain any of the 26 ***(OF OVER SIX HUNDRED.... Yeah, WTF wait a sec, why list ONLY 26 of the over 600)*** fragrance ingredients - listed in the European Union Cosmetics Regulation – which are considered more likely to cause reactions in (allergy-) susceptible people. *snip*

These 26 fragrance ingredients are: Amyl Cinnamal, Benzyl Alcohol, Cinnamyl Alcohol, Citral, Eugenol, Hydroxycitronellal, Isoeugenol, Amylcinnamyl Alcohol, Benzyl Salicylate, Cinnamal, Coumarin, Geraniol, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Anise Alcohol, Benzyl Cinnamate, Farnesol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Benzyl Benzoate, Citronellol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Methyl 2-Octynoate, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Evernia Prunastri, Evernia Furfuracea.

HOLY F

Look at THAT, Extracts listed LAST, the Evernias are extracts... It's NOT alphabetical, That's listed in order by WEIGHT, that's fragments of a FORMULA....

Here let's compare Amouage gold for men, a fragrance many have said compares to pampers while being off balance.
amouage.jpg

100 percent of amouage gold is found in that pampers "list" of 26 chemicals, in a different balance order. SD18 has 75ish percent. I'm literally filling in the order right now to complete what I have to allow me to clone Amouage Gold. From SD18 to that UK list and Amouage gold it's actually only a baby step.

We have it, now baking the cake is the issue..

The snowstorms have probably jammed things up but lettermail corner to corner in Canada takes about a week. Someone should be getting something soon, the address were a few places including Texas which may obviously be delayed right now....

They got rid of the partridge in a pear tree, too. Animal cruelty. 🤭

• Haha
Reactions: MeDisneyBaby
I think it's important to note the second ingredient with Amouage - Parfum. That may suggest some proprietary ingredient.

ArchtopK said:
I think it's important to note the second ingredient with Amouage - Parfum. That may suggest some proprietary ingredient.
That's the strength, By law in Canada all ingredients must be listed AND perfume strength. Parfum isn't an ingredient it's to indicate the dilution strength of 20-30 percent, Parfum..

iu-8.jpeg

This is why a chemist was needed, not honking my own horn just stating the obvious. Naming conventions mean things that are meaningless or have other meanings to those not in the biz.

IF the bottle had been MADE in North America it would have said "Parfum (all the things listed)" But it wasn't made here. English second language applies.

Milligrams are enough to set off someone with a severe allergy, 0.001 percent must be listed by law. All of Canada, several states as well, check local laws.

75 percent denatured alcohol, 25 percent parfum and of that 25 percent, the amounts appear correct. This assumes they didn't go 30 percent parfum which they may have, quite pricey a bottle.

Seriously super cool work being done here!!

Looking forward to seeing what else comes from this 😁

This is the first thread that I have been following every day in a while. You are chasing something that some of us have been thinking about for most of our lives. I clearly remember the early 1970's (1971-1974) pampers scent and could pull it from a multitude of similar scents. Looking forward to your progress. Thanks for keeping us updated!

Reactions: PlastiBrain, Diaps and BobbiSueEllen
perhaps, but we know that Amouage Gold Man has Civet in it's notes and according to this: "The chemical in civet oil that gives it most of its distinctive odor is civetone, at a concentration of between 2.5 and 3.4 percent. The oil also includes various other ketones such as cyclopentadecanone, cyclohexadecanone, cycloheptadecanone, and 6-cis-cycloheptadecenone".

I don't see civetone or any of the cyclo... chemicals listed, which leads me to wonder if the Parfum means pure natural chemicals and all the others listed are synthetic chemicals?

Reactions: Diaps
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back