What was it like to wear diapers in Elementary School?

I wore pull-ups/training pants until about second grade, but I don't think that I was aware that I wore them so I have no distinct memories. Combined with the fact that I was a late potty-trainee and had tons of accidents as a kid, I base this on a memory I have from first grade where I was aware I wet my pants during lunch but, in classic "kid logic", thought that if I pretended nothing happened, nobody would notice...and nobody did notice, so at the time I thought I "got away with" having an accident but later in life realized it was because I was obviously wearing protection (and it was apparently justified even as late as first grade).

I do know that I desperately wanted to go back into diapers as a kid, so I'm assuming my parents didn't tell me I wasn't wearing real undies as means of encouraging me to use the bathroom. I can't say that I blame them, because if I knew I was wearing pull-ups I'd probably just go in them all day.

Not my experience, and I have mentioned it before, but I only ever once saw a nappy being worn at school.

I was in reception still and I remember someone telling me that a girl in what is now Year 2 (6-7 year olds) wore a nappy. I didn’t believe it until one day I saw her sitting against a wall in the playground with her knees up. I couldn’t help but see up her skirt and noticed that the knickers she was wearing were quite bulky. I could also see the ruffle of the elastic leg gathers. I did not say anything to her but seeing her made me feel tingly and a tad jealous. Looking back, she may have had an illness or developmental delay, but at the time seeing a child older than me wearing a nappy was both confusing and thrilling.

I don’t remember her ever being taunted or made fun of because of her nappy.

Before school, in the last year of nursery (Pre School) it was a different story. There were plenty of kids (probably between a quarter and a third of the class), mostly boys but also some girls, who wore nappies.

This was the pre Pull-Ups era, mind, so many of them were probably wearing “just in case”.

We were taken to the toilet regularly in groups of three (with no distinction as to gender) and I remember that nappies would be taken off by the nursery assistant (usually just undoing one tape and slipping it off) to use the toilet and if they were dry the same nappy would be put back on standing up in the same way.

Although the DL thing hasn’t yet struck, I did take an interest in whose nappy was wet and whose was dry at toilet time. I was particularly fixated one one girl who wore Ultra Pampers for Girls (pink waistband) who was ALWAYS dry when taken to the toilet. I wondered why she wore them at all in this case.

There was also a boy whose parents obviously still thought that you couldn’t send a child to nursery in nappies in the 1980s because he was practically incontinent and seemed to wet himself very frequently (and was always sent home with multiple pairs of wet pants in the “plastic bag o’shame”.

There was a kid in my grade two or three class who wore diapers, no one really made fun of him for it; he and everyone else played normal during recess.

I liked playing with him because I thought it was so cool that he got to wear a diaper. To me, at the time, it was as if he were wearing a superman cape.

Reactions: DropBearAu
In the 1960's when I was in Elementary School, diapers and plastic pants were not allowed in school, not like today.

caitianx said:
In the 1960's when I was in Elementary School, diapers and plastic pants were not allowed in school, not like today.
What if you were incontinent though?

ChocChip said:
What if you were incontinent though?
The attitude was "tough luck" back then.

I did not wear any diapers at school, however I have been wearing diapers since January 2020 due to being urinary incontinent, but I graduated from high school in 2019, so it does not really make a difference

caitianx said:
The attitude was "tough luck" back then.
I guess if you had no bladder/bowel control at all you would probably have been sent to a special needs school, regardless of any other disabilities? But those who just had the occasional accident had to live with it (and probably get punished by the teachers).

Ecpveryone is born in continent!😄
Fangs said:
I had to wear them 24/7 from birth because I was born incontinent where I could feel when I needed to go but my muscles are weak in those parts, school was hard because of bullying about me being diapered.

Reactions: KittyMerriweather and 12srepaid
SicartheaSpikefan said:
I do wish I had the chance to wear more, the whole incontinence fantasy is about having an excuse to wear diapers without being punished by authority figures. but I guess a lot of us get punished no matter what you do and I'm the lucky one for having a choice. You don't need to post anything if it brings up really bad memories unless it feels therapeutic. So I'm sorry if anyone felt pressured into sharing.

I don't have many stories of my own but I might as well share what I can remember. I went to a preschool where everyone in my age group was potty trained, I sorta had a weird complex where I was proud of being potty trained because that meant I wasn't a baby... yet I was also completely open about my desire to wear diapers again. Anyways, I had a neighbor who was the same age as me and my mom told me he still needed diapers because his mom didn't train him. I never spoke to him about it and we never became close friends or anything but we played together a little bit... I distinctly remember watching blues clues with him and not really liking it. I'm not sure why I avoided the topic, but I think it was to be polite.

There were plenty of people who wore diapers in elementary school but I only saw them during gym, afterschool, and art class because they spent the majority of the day in special ed. they all needed wheelchairs except for one guy who was nonverbal and had pretty severe down syndrome. I'd often saw his diaper when he bent over in middle school gym class but he eventually finished his potty training in highschool. I only remember the name of Max, a kid who needed a wheelchair, there was one day where is aid let us push him around the gym and another where he got a diaper change in the back of the class while everyone watched shark tale. we weren't allowed to watch but I did take a peek because I was curious.

There was also one time when I having a sleepover with one of my friends in first or second grade and I found out that his grandfather needed diapers when I noticed a box in his grandfather's bedroom.
It’s not fun to be in public and mess your diaper as an adult trust me.

Reactions: Blathers and Ebabyboy12
I was a bedwetter till i was 16 so i had to wear diapers though out my childhood , i would wear them for school camp international / field trips , only my primary school classmates knew about my diapers because i was caught wearing them , lets just say diapers are not easily concealable under school uniform . I was teased and make fun of though my primary school days , my mom just get me diapers to wear for any school trips , i was embarrassed of course but at the same time felt alright because im kinda used to wearing it , I dont think any of my classmates needed diapers though out even in primary/elementary school not to mention high / secondary school , im the only one that still wears diapers in high / secondary school at 16 im quite sure , it would be nice if i had classmates needing to wear diapers at the time as it wouldn't be as much of an embarrassment and someone who i can share it with .

Reactions: thedlguy and DiaperGuy08
Fullpants said:
It’s not fun to be in public and mess your diaper as an adult trust me.
Totally agree. It sucks to be quiet honest.

I had a lot of accidents in school. Never was sent to school in diapers. Looking back there were days I should have been. Nothing is worse then Messing your pants and having to try and scrap out as much as you can out of your underwear and then have to sit in poop the rest of the day. I went as far to put toilet paper in my underwear to not feel gross. I would much rather been diapered. Embarrassed or now.

• Sad
Reactions: thedlguy, KittyMerriweather and TigerDL
back when I was in elementary school students of all age were required to be potty trained before they could start school unless they were special needs kids or had a medical reason to wear them

I've been IC since birth.
Those years I recall a lot of really mean comments, teasing, and bullying over the fact I was in diapers.
Add to that, with other issues - I could not change it myself (still can't) - and I don't recall Pull-Ups even being around at the time - but I doubt they would have worked well enough - they sure don't now!
To add insult to injury - in the 2nd grade - I had a teacher that it wasn't good enough to try to be a little private - made me ask to go to the nurse and explain exactly why - loud enough that the entire class heard it clear as a bell. (As though she didn't know what the most likely reason was! :cry:)
Also in the really low grades, every time I moved, some wise a** would have some comment ready to go - you could clearly hear the crinkle of the diaper (in those really low grades, I used Pampers at school, and those were the old Plastic-backed fan fold ones - and I used them right up untill the nurse started complaining to mom that she was having trouble getting them on me, at home I had cloth diapers - then Pampers were only used when we were out most of the day, so basically mom honestly didn't know they were getting too small untill the school nurse said something)

I wore Stay Dry training pants to school till I was in fourth grade. Wore diapers at night. Close friends knew and everybody knew when I leaked onto my clothes. I was very embarrassed about it.

Reactions: bedwetter bobby
I was in some pretty bad toilet habits in my preteen years. Because of frequent accidents (both 1 and 2) I often had to wear washable plastic trainer pants for the first 5 or so years of school. By some miracle I never got found out, either because people didn't notice or didn't care. Fortunately I actually enjoyed 'having' to wear them. Mum would check me in the middle of the day when I went home for lunch. None of my friends seemed to notice them hanging up to dry on the line, probably because I have younger siblings.

Reactions: DiaperGuy08
caitianx said:
Despite my wetting/pooping issues in Elementary School, I was never allowed to wear diapers/plastic pants, period.
I just had to "sit in it" until I got home.
Same here, sent to the back of the room I would either knee or sit on one leg
to,eep my load from flatening on floor.. Only happened a couple of times.
nwm said:
I've been IC since birth.
Those years I recall a lot of really mean comments, teasing, and bullying over the fact I was in diapers.
Add to that, with other issues - I could not change it myself (still can't) - and I don't recall Pull-Ups even being around at the time - but I doubt they would have worked well enough - they sure don't now!
To add insult to injury - in the 2nd grade - I had a teacher that it wasn't good enough to try to be a little private - made me ask to go to the nurse and explain exactly why - loud enough that the entire class heard it clear as a bell. (As though she didn't know what the most likely reason was! :cry:)
Also in the really low grades, every time I moved, some wise a** would have some comment ready to go - you could clearly hear the crinkle of the diaper (in those really low grades, I used Pampers at school, and those were the old Plastic-backed fan fold ones - and I used them right up untill the nurse started complaining to mom that she was having trouble getting them on me, at home I had cloth diapers - then Pampers were only used when we were out most of the day, so basically mom honestly didn't know they were getting too small untill the school nurse said something)
thats the worst when they know you messed your pants but they want to hear you say it. Talk about making a kid feel bad. Ya got a load in your pants which everyone knows then tell everyone. Then ya either have go sit in it while you wait for your mom to bring you a clean diaper and pants,or walk home. My mom wasn’t too bad she would be more up set that I ruined new pair of underwear, which soon became my play pants or a dust rag!

Bowfell said:
I was in some pretty bad toilet habits in my preteen years. Because of frequent accidents (both 1 and 2) I often had to wear washable plastic trainer pants for the first 5 or so years of school. By some miracle I never got found out, either because people didn't notice or didn't care. Fortunately I actually enjoyed 'having' to wear them. Mum would check me in the middle of the day when I went home for lunch. None of my friends seemed to notice them hanging up to dry on the line, probably because I have younger siblings.
I remember those they would either go over my diaper or just my briefs. I had a lot of accidents at the tennis courts. I would go to the park on Saturday’s with my dad and his friend would play tennis. For some stupid reason the bathrooms were always locked. We get chicolate shakes, which would always make me mess my pants bad!

wetatnight said:
back when I was in elementary school students of all age were required to be potty trained before they could start school unless they were special needs kids or had a medical reason to wear them
Yeah but once in while everyone had an accident.

Reactions: bbpnts and 12srepaid
Back