Waiting on the Word: so far...

BobbiSueEllen

A happy, soggy li'l toddle-waddle Pampers girl.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
...so-so. Nothing as of yet. My daughter exhibited symptoms of COVID at work and was dismissed for the time being, told to go to the hospital where they would administer her test and then for her go home until further notice. Since her job is a little lower on the triage tree, the test was not prioritized, so we wait a couple extra days above others.

To date: daughter has had alternating fever/chills, feeling punky, but not as bad as with regular flu. She has times when she's functional, too. That's the good news, since we all got flu shots last fall...ALL of us, children included. It narrows the field down considerably but not fully, and we still await The Word. I've been feeling on-and-off myself but so far, nothing that knocks me on my tail. Again, good news.

As I myself live in a home-community (we all rent bedrooms), we have enough supplies and wipes/solutions/sanitizer graciously provided by the landlord. We have a phone-text conference chain open and I informed everyone right away; I also began practicing major hygiene protocol immediately. I keep to my room when I'm not with my family, my dishes/laundry/showering get done at my kids' when babysitting. Bathroom use checklist:

* sanitize hands before entering restroom
* bring two Clorox wipes and sanitizer
* one wipe flushes, wipes down lid & seat
* other wipe cleans bowl rim completely
* sanitize hands well before touching light switches or doorknob
* straight back to my room.

I told the roomies this and they're happy with it. So far, so good, as nobody else is sick...and hopefully, it stays that way.

I'm not entirely worried; although this is a very-rapidly-spreading virus, it is not dangerous or lethal to that end or in-and-of-itself. I have completely shut off newsmedia and rely only on Worldometer and the CDC website. To-date, only one under-18 patient has died worldwide (California, yesterday), no word on if the child had an underlying condition. This is not common, as regular flus tend to hit the very young hard, too. We know that over 80-85% of people known to have gotten COVID are not in any danger, are only showing/enduring traditional symptoms of flu and do not require hospitalization, so that is on almost everyone's side. The concern is, of course, for the elderly above 65 and/or those with underlying health problems (cardiac, respiratory, diabetes are the Big Three), with the highest fatality rate around the 85-year bracket. Compared to traditional flus we endure annually in the US, this virus' curve is close to theirs but not equal.

I wish it was the same for Italy & Spain...they're not faring as well. Although the raw numbers are comparable to ours, Spain has only 14% equivalent of the US' population and Italy has 18%, so their percentages of concentration are much higher. Iran, formerly a hotbed, appears to be stabilizing some, recoveries there are up.

In the end, with all we endure, I wonder what our collective societal reaction to this is going to be like: we've endured newsmedia hysteria, we've endured people sharing wrong (even fraudulent) info on social media (Facebook, mostly), we've seen a mix of good & bad attitudes from our neighbors and others in our communities. I got a feeling there's going to be a degree of collective social sheepishness once it's said and done for how we reacted on the whole...although it never hurts to take away a better sense of hygiene from this, which I sure have.

One concern is how this may further polarize our society in the end. Hopefully, it doesn't, there was enough mutual distrust before this all started. People may say we've 'lost our innocence', but I see it as something more; we lose our naïveté above all. We evolve. Hopefully, for the better.

We can only hope, right? More often than not, hope is all one needs...and sometimes it's all one's got. Never kill hope.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: GermanDL, Kayleigh, Sleepybrandon and 3 others
Thank you for the update! I've started to DM you a few times, but I figured I'd save you the trouble of answering my questions and those from others in our tribe over and over. I had heard that there is an on average turnaround time of 5 days to get test results back so it sounds like your daughter's test is, for good or bad, on track.

Thank you for sharing such a well thought out response. You are right, a positive Covid-19 test result is not necessarily an automatic death sentence if caught in time.

I too hope that this does not further polarize our society, especially here in the U.S. of by-gawd A. I'm hoping that things will be like they were after 9-11: we collectively went through hell and came through it as a better and kinder society. For a while, anyway.

Hoping for the best for your daughter, your extended household, and, of course, you. Sounds like everybody over there has their heads screwed on right and are doing all the right things.

Take time to be little.

With love,
The Dawg

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
So far, so good. And thanks! Just playing The Waiting Game, keeping hydrated and all. 🥳

Reactions: Midwest82 and NooNoo
Per KTVB-7 in Boise: ALL of Idaho is now locked down. Leaving homes allowed only for getting supplies or for vital services. Welp, here we go...

• Wow
Reactions: DippyDawg, NooNoo and Midwest82
BobbiSueEllen said:
Per KTVB-7 in Boise: ALL of Idaho is now locked down. Leaving homes allowed only for getting supplies or for vital services. Welp, here we go...
Well the good news is our president has said everything will be ok by Easter Sunday.

We just have to wait this out. All we can do now.

Reactions: NooNoo and DippyDawg
With all the panic going around, it's refreshing to read an optimistic post. Keep us updated, and keep that positive attitude!

Reactions: DippyDawg and BobbiSueEllen
Will do, of course. One small victory: found an empty Mio bottle, rinsed it out well with my drinking water, dried it out and loaded it with 70% isopropyl alcohol...which kills the Coronavirus. Better than lugging the quart-bottle around, LOL! Other Bio-hacks as we roll... 🥳 💡

Reactions: DippyDawg and BigBlueBear
BobbiSueEllen said:
Will do, of course. One small victory: found an empty Mio bottle, rinsed it out well with my drinking water, dried it out and loaded it with 70% isopropyl alcohol...which kills the Coronavirus. Better than lugging the quart-bottle around, LOL! Other Bio-hacks as we roll... 🥳 💡
You're a MacGuyer in a pinafore and MaryJanes

• Haha
Y'ain't seen nothin' yet! Here, hold my hand sanitizer... :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: NooNoo, egor, DippyDawg and 1 other person
Day Five of Gov. Little's Stay-Home Order: so far, we're adapting. It's still unnerving, but we cope. Ada County's COVID caseload of 113 was exceeded by Blaine County's caseload of 115. Blaine County is near or at Sun Valley.

Testing here is a joke: daughter's test is delayed again, despite her state-given status as critical personnel. By the time she gets results back, a positive result may as well be ignored, since the body's immune system has overcome the virus and is cleaning house. Another degree of involuntary blindness on the whole.

I ventured out to get meat for red beans & rice: despite all stores having partitioned lines outside, saying only 200 people in the store at a time, there's not that many in the stores at one time. All stores have put blue lines/squares at all checkstand lines 6 feet apart, keeping waiting customers at bay; Winco installed plexiglas sheets at all checkstands between customers & clerks.

In quieter moments, I wonder--when all is over--how much of all this will vanish...and how much of it will remain the norm.

Last night, in late twilight, I watched heavy, dark storm clouds dump rain on Eagle to the north: no lightning, just pounding rain, evidenced by the opaque streakage under the clouds. Nature goes on, as it always has, oblivious to the plight. I recalled Sara Teasdale's "There Will Come Soft Rains", took a sip of my strawberry-lemonade water, looked at the storm...and quietly said "Bravo".

Despite our trying, despite our fear, despite ourselves...we'll make this.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: DippyDawg and NooNoo
BobbiSueEllen said:
Testing here is a joke

Wow, no kidding. I don't even know your daughter and I'm on edge. Can't imagine how frustrating it must be for you and your family.

Well, if it is COVID, then we're proof that, as healthy people, the virus is no more dangerous than other typical flu viruses; the only differences are that this one is more hotly-contagious and is not as dangerous to the under-18 group as said other viruses. Only one known death of an under-eighteen person so far, in Lancaster CA, whereas regular flus killed nearly 500 kids in the 2018-19 season. As typical of flu viruses, it is claiming otherwise-healthy people in the 70-and-up groups (with more deaths in progressively older groups)...and people with chronic health problems such as heart/lung problems or diabetes. That much we have come to know, to our advantage for future use.

I still wonder how we may think of ourselves and others in regard to how we reacted, with all the panic-buying and other knee-jerk reactions. I guess that's for a later time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Midwest82 and BigBlueBear
Unfortunately this is showing just how ill prepared our healthcare systems and humanity are for something like this.

When you consider that only cases that meet extreme guidelines are getting tested. The number of infected must actually be higher. Milder sympoms and those that are just carriers are getting missed. So the mortality rate is being skewed higher as well.

Don't get me wrong this is nothing to ignore but we simply are not ready for anything even close to this. Let alone one that will be worse.

Still sending happy thoughts your way for a speedy recovery and some answers.

You're right, @Midwest82 : I believe there are far more people infected than the numbers show. Nothing to entirely panic about, unless people who have the chronic conditions and/or are elderly have it and don't know it. I worry for them, since I have parents and many friends who are in their 70s, even 80s...and friends who have chronic health issues, including my dad with diabetes and my mom with COPD. :(

The issue that I can see with it as well is the ones who are carriers or only had mild symptoms and ignore the social distancing are going to continue to spread it as you said, and unfortunately the moment any of this starts to let up the next wave is going to influx because of these people who may not even know they are carrying it. The hope would be that the social distancing last long enough for people to rest and heal and no long be infected.

Honestly I plan to keep up the social distancing for at least a few weeks after the restrictions are relaxed as best as I can.

Yeah, we definitely don't need 'backwash' hitting us!

• Haha
Reactions: Midwest82
There is good news despite it all: how much of Canada's newest territory is afflicted with COVID?

Nunavut! 🤭 🥳

• Haha
Reactions: NooNoo, BigBlueBear and Midwest82
BobbiSueEllen said:
There is good news despite it all: how much of Canada's newest territory is afflicted with COVID?

Nunavut! 🤭 🥳
Just a word of caution the CDC is only allowing inside jokes at this time. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: BigBlueBear, DippyDawg and BobbiSueEllen
Hopefully, this one goes viral. 💪

• Haha
Reactions: BigBlueBear, DippyDawg and Midwest82
Back