Mid-90s Pampers and when was cloth-backed introduced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteyUK

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I was born towards the end of 1993 and I’ve been trying to work out which nappies I wore as a baby, as I don’t have many photos. I just know they were Pampers.

Would they likely have been white, plastic-backed, and with a patterned tape along the top?

And when were cloth-backed nappies introduced? I quite like them but I’m not sure where that comes from.

Reactions: EternalBaby94 and BobbiSueEllen
I think cloth backed came in about 1997.

There was a version of Pampers that was definitely plastic but had a stretchy side.

There were definitely unisex plastic Pampers in the UK after the boy/girl era.

With other brands the transition was staggered. The last plastic nappies seemed to be Wilkos budget version which were still plastic in 2014.

Reactions: abdilly and PeteyUK
Aren’t these “Soft System” ones cloth-backed though?

Reactions: Deleted member 53140
I'm not sure specifically when Pampers went cloth-like but I do know it wasn't until after 1998, the year they introduced Size 6. Huggies, on the other hand, was definitely cloth-like no later than 1996.

Reactions: abdilly and PeteyUK
Pampers Premiums was a separate line to Baby Dry.

Certainly Baby Dry was available in plastic until around 2000ish. Definitely late enough for there to have been plastic size 6 (which were huge- up to 30kg!)

See the vid of the 1997 plastic size 6 and be amazed at the size of them (this isn’t my vid).

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: bigtoddler96, pdiapered, LittleScotty and 7 others
That video is amazing for its nostalgic value. I can't remember the details, but I must have known someone's child who wore those, as I have memories of swiping the odd nappy or two with that exact pattern, and just seeing him hold it up took me right right back. Quite incredibly.

Even that "Baby Dry" writing in the balloon font is soooo nostalgic to me. Thanks for sharing it!

Reactions: BigKid25
Thanks for the info. Are there any diapers that specifically emulate mid 90s Pampers in the same way Super Dry Kids do for late 90s?

PeteyUK said:
Thanks for the info. Are there any diapers that specifically emulate mid 90s Pampers in the same way Super Dry Kids do for late 90s?
- IMO no, also to vex further Superdrug own-brands were plastic-backed when I bought them BUT that was in 2013/14 and they only went to size 5!!!!!
I seem to remember I used them as stuffers.
Anything for adults with velcro-fastners is satisfactorily close though.

PeteyUK said:
I was born towards the end of 1993 and I’ve been trying to work out which nappies I wore as a baby, as I don’t have many photos. I just know they were Pampers.

Would they likely have been white, plastic-backed, and with a patterned tape along the top?

And when were cloth-backed nappies introduced? I quite like them but I’m not sure where that comes from.

I was in nappies also from early 1994 to mid 1996.. Pampers also, would be interested to find the specific type/version from that time..?

Gaga94 said:
I was in nappies also from early 1994 to mid 1996.. Pampers also, would be interested to find the specific type/version from that time..?
I know I have at least one photo of me wearing in 1995 or 1996. I’m away from home at the moment but I’ll try and dig it out next week and see if we can do some detective work with it!

Was there any difference between the UK and the US, design and date wise?

Reactions: pdiapered
PCS said:
Pampers Premiums was a separate line to Baby Dry.

Certainly Baby Dry was available in plastic until around 2000ish. Definitely late enough for there to have been plastic size 6 (which were huge- up to 30kg!)

See the vid of the 1997 plastic size 6 and be amazed at the size of them (this isn’t my vid).

- Holy moley!!!!!! As big as a Tena Slip Junior at least, guess the planet didn't need saving back then!!!!!!!

I’m pretty sure there was a difference between US and European designs of Pampers.

These are the earliest UK/European Pampers I remember:

Which are obviously different from the US Pampers from the same year:

Reactions: pdiapered
there are lot's of test markets where new things are introduced way in advance of national roll outs.
In 1989 I was still buying pampers in the purple and orange boxes. plastic backed, no prints and still perfumed.

Huggies definitely had cloth backed in 1995. They were the first, from the research I've done in trying to figure out when exactly the transition started.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
+PCS
- says something about the different markets, no UK infant nappies advertise something else / a different brand.
Yes I know ASDA Pull-Ups are Peppa Pig ones!!!!!!!!!

SweetPrincess said:
Huggies definitely had cloth backed in 1995. They were the first, from the research I've done in trying to figure out when exactly the transition started.

You are correct about Huggies being the first. They did release the "cloth" backed a year earlier though. They were Huggies Supreme and were released along side the Ultratrim which were still plastic backed at the time and were just fading out the boy and girl designs.

I remember this well since I was in 9th grade and I was sneaking my nieces diapers. I got to see and use them through the transitions. If memory serves me correctly the plastic backed boy/girl design diapers were the best and most absorbent diapers Huggies ever made.

• Love
Reactions: babybobby and LittleMissPink
To answer your original question, although they are not AB/DL nappies, I can confirm that the plastic used on Tranquility ATN’s is IDENTICAL to UK/European late 80s/early 90s Pampers.

It’s not as thick as the SDK’s, which emulate the American Pampers.

The Tranquiity ATN’s are not available in the UK, however, and I had to import them from
the US off eBay.

They’re not the thickest but the coverage is good and the padding is squared off hourglass cut rather than rounded, adding to the 80s/90s feel. They crinkle like 80s/90s European Pampers too.

Well worth a try and they hold 3 wettings.

• Love
Reactions: PlastiBrain, Rezzu, BigKid25 and 1 other person
PCS said:
To answer your original question, although they are not AB/DL nappies, I can confirm that the plastic used on Tranquility ATN’s is IDENTICAL to UK/European late 80s/early 90s Pampers.

It’s not as thick as the SDK’s, which emulate the American Pampers.

The Tranquiity ATN’s are not available in the UK, however, and I had to import them from
the US off eBay.

They’re not the thickest but the coverage is good and the padding is squared off hourglass cut rather than rounded, adding to the 80s/90s feel. They crinkle like 80s/90s European Pampers too.

Well worth a try and they hold 3 wettings.

I knew there was a reason I liked them so much!!! I'm a huge fan of the ATNs and they are super cheap at vitality medical.

In the US, pampers made the switch mid year in 1999 on the baby dry line, I was buying size 6 baby dry diapers and was surprised with a hybrid diaper, the front taping panel and rear wings with the tapes were still plastic backed, then diaper core its self had a thin cloth like cover, there were pretty good, super soft and strong, they did not stretch out or anything. In that same time line of 98 - 99 pampers premium w/ aloe were cloth like cover, I could only find size 5's though locally and while they fit decently, size 6's were my obvious go to's.
I remember when huggies switched to a cloth like cover, I bought a pack of size 6's to try out and while the diaper fit a little snugger after wetting I would feel slimy on my thighs, didn't like that feeling, it was like wet newspaper resting on your skin, also the cover would wick through so if you wet you would pretty much have to change within the hour, kind of bad when your a dl that likes wet and squishy.
After pampers shifted over to cloth like I was pretty much alternating between them and luvs which still was 100% plastic backed, I though loves were pretty good, a little thinner then pampers but they could take a real good beating and not break up, the barney designs were kind of a turn off but you can have it all

Reactions: Deleted member 53140, BobbiSueEllen and BigKid25
Wow those 1997 Pampers are just amazing.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back