Is baby powder safe?

Pigs are actually the nearest thing to humans when it comes to animal testing, which is why cannibals used to call missionaries "long Pigs" as apparently we taste like them as well.

Esophegeal cancer can be caused by stomach acid if you suffer from continuous acid reflux. Cancer is often caused by continuous abrasion of soft tissue. Which may explain the J&J case. But I still cannot imagine how baby powder found its way deep inside the uterus of the complainant. Always sounded like misuse of the product to me.

I would also point out that to get a license to use any animals for medical purposes in the UK is now extremely difficult

Reactions: JackandJill
ArchtopK said:
Esophegeal cancer can be caused by stomach acid if you suffer from continuous acid reflux. Cancer is often caused by continuous abrasion of soft tissue. Which may explain the J&J case. But I still cannot imagine how baby powder found its way deep inside the uterus of the complainant. Always sounded like misuse of the product to me.
it was and is cervical cancer rather than uterine cancer and it has affected a lot of women who use it externally just to make themselves feel fresher, just the same as it is used on a baby.

Reactions: JackandJill
PCBaby said:
I would also point out that to get a license to use any animals for medical purposes in the UK is now extremely difficult

I think that's partially why are rats and mice get used here it's because it's hard to get licenses and then also the expense you can breed generations of mices and rats within a few months

Even for lab rats and mice you know need a license in the UK, there are also all sorts of regulations that have to be carried out to the letter and your lab or establishment can be inspected at any time without warning.

PCBaby said:
Even for lab rats and mice you know need a license in the UK, there are also all sorts of regulations that have to be carried out to the letter and your lab or establishment can be inspected at any time without warning.
I think that is also true for over here in the us.

A mouse is a horrible thing to waste!

JackandJill said:
That is correct but we have to keep in mind the mice are horrible analog for humans.

Well my comment was somewhat meant in jest, if you are running a test trying to find a connection, then you probably will find one, even if it doesn't exist. If you're looking for a specific pattern, your test will probably be good. But if you're looking for any pattern, well, patterns are everywhere, and you're going to find a few just because you're looking for one.

The reason they use specific animals in testing is because what they are testing for works close to the same as it does in people. For example, mice (for reasons I don't understand) have an immune system that's almost identical to humans. Rabbits have very similar eye reactions to irritants so they are used to test cosmetics.

bambinod said:
Well my comment was somewhat meant in jest, if you are running a test trying to find a connection, then you probably will find one, even if it doesn't exist. If you're looking for a specific pattern, your test will probably be good. But if you're looking for any pattern, well, patterns are everywhere, and you're going to find a few just because you're looking for one.

The reason they use specific animals in testing is because what they are testing for works close to the same as it does in people. For example, mice (for reasons I don't understand) have an immune system that's almost identical to humans. Rabbits have very similar eye reactions to irritants so they are used to test cosmetics.

You're right that's one thing we got to watch out for is bias testing if you wanted to go one way you can throw the results very easily. There's nothing wrong about having a hypothesis and there is nothing wrong about being wrong. That is how science is supposed to work. You discover science you don't tell science what it is.

Back