World Coins

dogboy said:
I'm gussing that's 1889. I have a 2 cent piece, US coinage.
no its 1989 2 pence. 1889 would be silver.

egor said:
no its 1989 2 pence. 1889 would be silver.

I guess Pence is British? Unless you bought our Vice President in which case I don't know that I would have spent that much for him.

Had a wind Fall yesterday so I did it.

In stead of bidding I "buy it" optioned a 1909 S Indian head penny. Just the 1877 to go.

egor said:
Had a wind Fall yesterday so I did it.

In stead of bidding I "buy it" optioned a 1909 S Indian head penny. Just the 1877 to go.

I think I have the 1909 S Indian head penny. I'll have to go look.

1909 S Indian head safe and sound in its spot .

egor said:
Well since the groups have been dropped. I guess I will go the route of the past discussions and just make a blog page.

I have been collecting coins since my dad started me on my 10th birthday, and made it a tradition by starting my kids collection for them.

I have coins from 245 countries in my collection. Some are easy to get and others are harder.

I have Korea and South Korea, but have only seen two North Korean coins for sale.

One night when I could not sleep I looked on E-bay and found a started set of North Korean Coins so I ordered it.

Turns out the seller is in China. From what I have been able to find out they are in the Chinese Ministry of Finance. Needless to say I have been a tad bit worried about the sale.

The arrival time was 1-22-19 to 2-14-19. They have not arrived yet.

I just did a package track and they bounced around in China from one spot (do not remember the name) to Bajing then back to where they started. They cleared customs on the 22nd and are listed as in rout.

I am getting a very good feeling that they are literally on a slow boat from China.
do you have any Iraqi dinar, Pre, second Iraq war. I do if youd like Ill find it and donate a ferw bills for your collection, they are not worth anything yet!

I have a lot of the Shaw coins from the 50's and a collection set of the coins that my nephew got when he was in the sandbox on his first tour. That and 1000 and 500 dinar notes.

And yes they are worthless, as is most of the coins in my collection. I had that rude awakening back in 2008. Even my British pound coins have been devalued.

I suspect that fewer people collect coins than say 50 years ago so there is less demand, thus lowering the value of old coins.

dogboy said:
I suspect that fewer people collect coins than say 50 years ago so there is less demand, thus lowering the value of old coins.

Most of it came about in 1999 when the Euro Came out. That killed the coins because all of the EU countries devalued there coins. Then With all of the Turmoil in South America the countries changed their coins and devalued the old ones. Then in Africa there was so many revolutions and civil wars that the countries changed names and thus devalued the old coins.

So there is very few countries that have coins that are still in circulation for over 50 years. Japan in the only one I know for sure. China might be another but I know they changed there coin size and style about 1990.

Most of the British principles changed from the British Shilling count to a decimal system in 1969. So all of the old stuff is devalued.

I had some money Thursday that was left over from the purchase of the 1909 s. So I went into the coin store. I did not have enough to buy the 1/2 eagle that they had, but thanks to the big drop in Gold that day I had enough to by a 1/10 oz. South African coin. Then I made the mistake of looking into the bulk box. I picked up several of the Korean Olympic 1000 Won and a 2009 Maui coin and some other stuff for $10. The Korean coins where a good deal because they list at $4 and I payed $1. Then I had time to kill yesterday and I got some Priced as marked less then $5. I got some 1864 Bronze Indian heads for the kids collection and two 1909 VDB and a 1858 Large Letter Flying eagle to up grade mine and give the kids the old one.

I'm going to drop 2 links here for good coin related communities if you are interested
Coin Community - all types of coins, tokens, and stamps. Friendly toward new folks
Token Catalog - most comprehensive index of world tokens, which anyone can contribute. 525,000+ listings - many with pictures, histories, and details.

Well I am going to do it.

I just got the Outbid notification on the last small USA cent that I need so I am going back to the alternative and the best By it now for my budget.

1877 Indian head be mine!!!

They used to be big cents but inflation made them small cents! Good luck on your purchase.

dogboy said:
They used to be big cents but inflation made them small cents! Good luck on your purchase.

So of course the coin I had put on the watch list and not moved was gone, but I did find a better one that was within the budget I set. It should be here next week. Now to finish the Buffalo Nickle collection.

Its Here!!!!

The 1877 just arrived. I put it straight into the coin book.

I took a picture of my complete Indian Head Penny book, but the message just arrived that sending failed.

Have to run, but I will post the picture As soon as I can.

My USA Small Cent collection is complete!!!!

20191120_140503 (2).jpg
Picture of my complete Indian head penny collection

Boy do I have a dilemma (sort of).

I work a concession stand as a fund raiser for a group.
There is one kid that brought in some tokens that her grandfather gave her.
I gave here the third degree as to where they came from, if they really where hers, and if her parents know what she is doing.
I have to give her the shadow of a dought.
I had know idea what these four tokens where worth, but I gave her over the "face' value. One was a Seattle world fair $1 value. I think they have been devalued but have not looked up the coins.
The next time she brought in 5 Euro Coins (3 euro and 2 20 euro cents) I gave her $4 us for them just because that was easy math. She said she has a bunch more euro coins that her uncle who travels a lot gave to her. I keep asking if her parents know what she is doing, but the jist of what she said they are hers to do with as she pleases.

I keep asking, but I buy them in good faith.

Got all of the coins in my bank wrapped and ready to take to the bank in the morning. Then I will go to the Coin shop for the annual Black Friday sale. I have my US coin needs list and it will be interesting to see what I come home with.

Got to the bank. Got my cash and went to the coin shop. $140 later, 9 Quarters and 4 Half Dollars for my collection and 55 foreign coins. Including another new country. bring me up to 247.

Was putting the US coins into the coin books this morning. Got all bummed out with the Walking liberty Half I got. I did not catch it until I was about to put the coin into it's spot when I read the date and the 1927D turned out to be a 1929D. :(

Back