How fast

WoodenBelly

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
How fast does incontinence go, like stages? Example, for the past year I’ve dealt with streams, constant running to the bathroom and literally sitting there until I thought I was done, just to stand up and realize I wasn’t.

Now, I’ve had a few night time accidents, I don’t run as I’m learning my “urges”.. sometimes it’s resulted in a straight up stream coming out. Like if I have to go now the second I get up and walk/run to a toilet, I either go as I’m unbuckling or before I get there.

Curious on y’alls stories because for the past 30 days it’s been an absolute hell. If my stuff sounds weird and unfamiliar please PM me and I’ll go in detail. So far all my tests have been negative, but I’ve ordered pads, underwear for daytime and actual diapers for at night to see what works best..

Cheers

• Sad
Reactions: JaysonTheRegressor
I'm sorry you're going through all this!
Best wishes

Reactions: WoodenBelly
JaysonTheRegressor said:
I'm sorry you're going through all this!
Best wishes

I’ve read even doctors articles, and posts on here that diapers don’t cause real incontinence. I’m fucking scared shitless and I’ve worn depends underwear 24/7 for a month. Because day time if I cough I leak (but not if I sneeze or laugh oddly enough)

I found out today I can’t get a second opinion, even if I offer cash for basic tests without a referral from the VA. So I messaged them asking if I can bump up if a no show happens so I don’t wait until October.

Fuckina. I get the fetish shit, but props to those who have to deal with this 24/7 and wear thick diapers everywhere. Seriously, I don’t wish this on anyone. Those who want it are suckers living in a fantasy when you realize it’s in the back of your mind from walking downtown, going to a bar or concert or just hiking with loved ones.

I have had a catheter held in place by a chastity device, and there is some fun in this................until you really realise you are held incontinent by the device and your nappy is getting close to leaking and the embarrassment this is likely to cause. I have managed a few days but this experience showed to me that it is nothing you should wish for, I was lucky that when I really (and I mean really) had enough that I could simply cut the lock or wait until the post office delivered the keys I had posted to myself and remove the catheter, and apart from a little dribbling for a few hours afterwards you are back to having control. I take my hat of to those who are truly incontinent and deal with it on a daily basis. I have the odd dribble after going to the bathroom but put that down to the nerve damage caused by my long term diabetes and can handle it, I certainly do not look forward to the day when I am truly incontinent. As for a time frame from the odd dribbling post bathroom use to becoming a nuisance as it is now I reckon three years?

Last edited:
WoodenBelly said:
How fast does incontinence go, like stages? Example, for the past year I’ve dealt with streams, constant running to the bathroom and literally sitting there until I thought I was done, just to stand up and realize I wasn’t.

Now, I’ve had a few night time accidents, I don’t run as I’m learning my “urges”.. sometimes it’s resulted in a straight up stream coming out. Like if I have to go now the second I get up and walk/run to a toilet, I either go as I’m unbuckling or before I get there.

Curious on y’alls stories because for the past 30 days it’s been an absolute hell. If my stuff sounds weird and unfamiliar please PM me and I’ll go in detail. So far all my tests have been negative, but I’ve ordered pads, underwear for daytime and actual diapers for at night to see what works best..

Cheers
It is always different person by person, but I can tell my experience. It started suddenly for me with minor amounts going into my pants, not being able to undo my pants in time or not reaching the toilet just as you described. I started using pull-ups, but after a few days (two weeks maybe) that proved to not be sufficient enough. I have to use full diapers now as I either don't feel the need before start to wet myself or have very short (and by very short I mean few seconds!) warning before peeing myself. First accident happened in Dec, but that was a stand alone one, issues started at Feb, now it is Sept, so you can tell, for me it was damn quick. But I know of people for whom this takes years.
Docs don't know the reason, my labs, tests, ultrasound etc came back all negative. They suspect nerve damage in my lower back but unsure. Basically, all docs I've seen ended up clueless and I've been to quite a number...

Bounduptoplesse said:
I have had a catheter held in place by a chastity device, and there is some fun in this

How did this work and how long did you keep this in for? Catheters freely flowing into a pad are a big UTI risk.

If it gets worse, what should I expect? Is it little streams and bursts daily, or is it always a flood?

My gut says night till get better, idk why. But daytime I’m fucked

I had the occasional spurt that would come out in my underwear, but ignored it for about 6-12 months, it only happened a handful of times in that time period. That all changed when one day I woke up at 3 or 4am to a wet bed. The next day too. I made an appointment with my doc and got referred to a urologist who ran months upon months of tests, and couldn't find anything (other than I was retaining ~300mL), but that my kidneys and back (and everything else) seemed to be in great shape.

From there, the amount of spurts increased, as did their volume, but I'd go through dry spells of 1 week to 12 weeks, never knowing the time it would hit. On one of those dry spells I was walking home from the train and dumped my whole bladder into my pants while I was trying to unlock my front door. I've been diapered since then, and generally have 2-5 accidents a day, plus I wake up wet about 25 out of 30 days in a month (or more).

It sucks, but you get used to it. I wear NorthShore Supreme diapers because they can hold a lot, ensuring I rarely have to change at work, they're not terribly bulky (as long as you're not wearing form-fitting pants), you can only hear them in the very most quiet of settings, and they don't swell much when wet.

Yeah, when the VA said everything was fine, I felt as if I was going crazy, like Is this all in my head?

I usually wear depends real fit 24/7, for about the past month. Not used to a actual diaper. I will say it was easy to take off but hard to put on another depends real fit the other day in public. That was a game changer.. so I may try my hand.
Did they ever check your pelvic floor?

WoodenBelly said:
Did they ever check your pelvic floor?
They ran every test conceivable, from totally non-invasive to so goddamned invasive I needed a beer and some quiet time afterward, hahaha.

eastcoastdl said:
They ran every test conceivable, from totally non-invasive to so goddamned invasive I needed a beer and some quiet time afterward, hahaha.
Oh yeah. I’ve been told I’ll have shit put in both ends for prostate and bladder check.. The VA woke me up once during a colonoscopy at age 30... That wasn’t fun

Attachments

• 71ABD580-06A0-4C04-9643-3DC10D2CC2C6.jpeg
    71ABD580-06A0-4C04-9643-3DC10D2CC2C6.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: eastcoastdl
Every one has a different experience with incontinence I went from bed wetting once or twice a week to 24/7 due to medical mistake from pain clinic

Bounduptoplesse said:
I do not think the risk of a UTI is as bad as many think for a male given the length of the urinary tract, IMO there is more chance of a problem getting infections during the fitting period. Catheters can be worn for weeks at a time with a bag or a nappy without issue, and given there is a constant flow away from the bladder I would think the incidence of infection is quite low.

For me I would say a few days at a time, and it depends on how active I plan to be and if there are any social gatherings to attend.

I also meant how did it work physically? I saw some chastity devices on Amazon with catheters, but they weren't for making the wearer incontinent, but for some other chastity related reason.

I had mild stress incontinence since 10 years, occasional bedwetting due to surgery, over time the bed wetting decreased but the urges started to show up
The past year they increased drastically and now i need to run every 15 minutes to the bathroom or wear a diaper.

However, latest tests confirm i have neurogenic bladder with reduced feeling in some areas as well ss detrusor sphincter dyssinergy with retention as consequence. I'm due next week for 2 surgeries in one since they're out of options and then they proposed inserting catheters for a while after everything has healed.

For me the biggest problem is dealing with the urges without any protection, my mother, who lives with me, fails to understand this affliction requires some form of protection as i can't go run around to the toilet so often....and she thinks z tena lady would be enough, simply because she despises seeing me with a thicker butt....

Last edited:
Bounduptoplesse said:
I do not think the risk of a UTI is as bad as many think for a male given the length of the urinary tract, IMO there is more chance of a problem getting infections during the fitting period. Catheters can be worn for weeks at a time with a bag or a nappy without issue, and given there is a constant flow away from the bladder I would think the incidence of infection is quite low.

I've been reluctant to respond, since we're getting far afield of the purpose of the incontinence forum, but this is important.

Since the 1950s, the standard of medical care in Western nations has been the closed system catheter for those patients who need a Foley. In a closed system, the catheter remains attached to an (initially sterile) collection bag, and an anti-reflux valve is used to prevent urine from returning to the bladder. If the tubing must be disconnected, it is cleaned with an alcohol prep pad before being reconnected. The bag is emptied regularly and handled carefully to help prevent infections from starting.

Even with these precautions, infections occur regularly with Foley catheters, to the point that Foleys are now supposed to be used only in those patients for whom there is no alternative. Catheter-associated UTIs are the largest class of healthcare-acquired infections, and are often no longer covered by insurance or Medicare if they are acquired in a hospital.

The open system Foley, where it drained into a bedpan or diaper, was last considered appropriate about 70 years ago. The problem is that urine in the tube can make its way back into the bladder as the wearer moves and as the bladder tenses and relaxes. The skin is teeming with bacteria, and E. coli, one of the most common skin bacteria, enters the opening of the catheter and the urine reflow moves it readily to the bladder. A Foley leaves a small amount of urine around the balloon because of the position of the drainage holes, and this is a perfect place for the bacteria to grow and a UTI to start.

If you choose to have an indwelling catheter drain openly, please understand that you are putting yourself at risk for infections. Doing so is your right and privilege, of course, and there is no guarantee that you will or won't get an infection, but it's important that you understand and accept the risks, and that you be ready to get medical attention if you do start having symptoms of an infection.

TL;DR Letting a Foley drain into a diaper is an infection risk. See a doctor promptly if you think you have an infection.

Trust me, italuv is very right about this.
And even if UTI's are not your main concern, there's also the risk of urethral scarring from innappropriate insertion, bladder stones etc.
I am soon to be trained for inserting foley's in the hospital and was already pre-warned about this.

And also, when putting the open end of the catheter in a diaper, the bacteria not only enter through the opening, but they also infect the entrance on the foreskin, creep alongside the catheter tube, this is why even when wearing them with a collection bag, regular cleaning and disinfection of the outer end of the catheter tube and foreskin is mandatory.

Even with a reflux valve it is required to use disinfecting pads to clean the exit valve before emptying the bag and never let it touch the toilet seat.

winterheart and italuv. Yes keeping an open catheter is putting you at risk of a uti. It is serious and you have to understand the risks to a high extent.

No about two years ago I developed OAB due to BPH. Trust me I would not want to wish this on anyone. At first it was "get to the bathroom" then turned into "go now". I wore a mens pad for a couple months but it was not working very well. I also had many medications the urologist gave me that had side effects that were not pleasant.

I went onto some boards about OAB. No diaper boards but people who were dealing with this. Just simply many were wearing a diaper or pull up and dealing with it. Now if you have never experienced OAB, it is uncomfortable to say the least. It give little warning and it is quite uncomfortable. In fact the next month I changed to a diaper and basically was protected but the pain of retention was relevant. So I started to dig deeper and found a group of people who used a foley catheter to stop that feeling. Trust me that last thing I wanted was a tube up my penis.

I finally resorted to using a catheter and with the slight sensitivity in my groin for a couple weeks, I was more comfortable. The bag sucked. Even with the leg sock, which is much better, the bulge on my leg was unsightly. So after a couple of months of a catheter, no problems by the way, I decided to resort back to a diaper. Now I was not only more comfortable in not having to pee but the diaper was far more comfortable.

I am not and repeat not suggesting to anyone to do this. I have not had a problem being cathed and diapered for the past 17 months. I am sure it will come and I know the symptoms so I can make it to the doctors. Lets just say, dont do it. but if you are going to then read up and be very clean and drink!!! do not dehydrate as that will cause UTI quickly.

redhawkpath said:
o about two years ago I developed OAB due to BPH. Trust me I would not want to wish this on anyone. At first it was "get to the bathroom" then turned into "go now". I wore a mens pad for a couple months but it was not working very well. I also had many medications the urologist gave me that had side effects that were not pleasant.
Thats pretty much me you describe.
had 2 TURPS in the past. So yes, I definitly know what you mean.
Yet i have to use bags as I cannot afford to have any possible risk factors for an infection, given the fact I have urethral strictures etc

I have interstitial cystitis, which is in some ways similar to OAB. I have ongoing problems with urine retention couples with bladder pain and urgency, which as you know is a very uncomfortable mix. I straight cath 6-8 times a day to get my bladder empty and get some relief from the feeling of pressure from having it partially filled. I've been cathing for several years and so far I've only had one confirmed UTI, but of course a straight in-and-out catheter is lower risk than an indwelling catheter for the reasons winterheart01 listed.

If what you're doing works for you, then that's great. I'm not so presumptuous that I'm going to try to tell you what you should and shouldn't do. I just want to make sure that people who read this thread realize that there are risks associated with it so they can go in with their eyes open.

ltaluv said:
I have interstitial cystitis, which is in some ways similar to OAB. I have ongoing problems with urine retention couples with bladder pain and urgency, which as you know is a very uncomfortable mix. I straight cath 6-8 times a day to get my bladder empty and get some relief from the feeling of pressure from having it partially filled. I've been cathing for several years and so far I've only had one confirmed UTI, but of course a straight in-and-out catheter is lower risk than an indwelling catheter for the reasons winterheart01 listed.

If what you're doing works for you, then that's great. I'm not so presumptuous that I'm going to try to tell you what you should and shouldn't do. I just want to make sure that people who read this thread realize that there are risks associated with it so they can go in with their eyes open.

Out of curiosity, did the doctors ever mentioned anything about what if there was too much trauma from intermittent catheterization ? That they might be willing to perform a sphincterectomy in this case?

I'm asking because my biggest fear is ending up like that, i had a completely unresponsive bladder once, couldn't get sphincter open either then. It was frightening.
Since such situation is last resort and extreme, I'd think they'd consider making life more comfortable by removing the blockade if catheterization is no longer possible, but I'm not sure.

Back