World Coins

Lonelydl said:
The 1916d is the one that will set you back abit

Found one for $150. the only question is if that smudge in the worn edge is actually a D.

egor said:
Found one for $150. the only question is if that smudge in the worn edge is actually a D.
You would want to confirm that before purchasing. 150 is abit cheap unless it is heavily beaten up. That is the rarest of the mercury dimes

egor said:
Added the gold out of another three packs of pay dirt.
Everything came out of the bottle when I was attempting to drain the water. So that gave me the opportunity to correct something I had not done before. The bottle empty weighs 4.5 grams, with all of the gold added it weighs it weighs 6.1 g. So I have 1.6g of dust or .0514 oz. of gold.
The joke is it cost me $133.32 for $74.11 worth of gold.

Sorry to hear that. I've lost a lot of money investing in the stock market, especially when I was young. There are so many creative ways to lose money......sigh.

egor said:
Added the gold out of another three packs of pay dirt.
Everything came out of the bottle when I was attempting to drain the water. So that gave me the opportunity to correct something I had not done before. The bottle empty weighs 4.5 grams, with all of the gold added it weighs it weighs 6.1 g. So I have 1.6g of dust or .0514 oz. of gold.
The joke is it cost me $133.32 for $74.11 worth of gold.
Are you buying packages of dirt to pan with?

Lonelydl said:
Are you buying packages of dirt to pan with?
Yes off of amazon.

It just for fun. I had a place locally that I got "pay dirt" to work, but it got left behind in a move. Then when I went back 14 years later the river had changed so much that with my bad knees I could not get to the place again.

egor said:
Just finished my coin collection inventory/records and I now officially have 246 countries and 15246 coins.

The sad /funny part is most of those are worthless. This is definitely a hobby that you literally through good money for bad.
I can’t imagine collecting from that many countries! The US has enough coins to keep me busy for a lifetime. I have been working mostly on standing liberty quarters, walking liberty halves, Indian heads and my US type set. I would like to get a trade dollar soon.

Do any other countries have type set books that you have found?

RedPandaDL said:
I can’t imagine collecting from that many countries! The US has enough coins to keep me busy for a lifetime. I have been working mostly on standing liberty quarters, walking liberty halves, Indian heads and my US type set. I would like to get a trade dollar soon.
Trade dollars are nice. Check apmex.com. when they have them in stock they have varying conditions you can buy. Be warned though. They are abit pricey. I think currently they have some in good to fair condition at a not so bad price

RedPandaDL said:
Whitman's has a good selection of Canadian coin books. They also have blank book pages with different diameters but they are spendie. That is why I use Notebook size binders and 1 1/2/X1 1/2 in 30 square sheets or 2x2 20 square sheets. Not cheap when you have 20 2 in binders full of coins.

Reactions: RedPandaDL
For all the coins we've collected, I wonder how much we could sell them for. That reality always seems so disappointing.

RedPandaDL said:
Isreal does. They are already put together booklets of uncirculated coins from a specific year

Lonelydl said:
Trade dollars are nice. Check apmex.com. when they have them in stock they have varying conditions you can buy. Be warned though. They are abit pricey. I think currently they have some in good to fair condition at a not so bad price
Thanks for the recommended site. I am fairly picky on the coins I buy, especially for my type set. I usually bid on lots of coins on eBay but win very few, because I try to be patient to get a good deal. I expect the trade dollar to set me back a bit. My son got a nice one for his birthday and I am jealous. He actually has way more coins than I do. My father in law is a big collector and got him started young.

egor said:
Whitman's has a good selection of Canadian coin books. They also have blank book pages with different diameters but they are spendie. That is why I use Notebook size binders and 1 1/2/X1 1/2 in 30 square sheets or 2x2 20 square sheets. Not cheap when you have 20 2 in binders full of coins.
Good suggestions.

Lonelydl said:
Isreal does. They are already put together booklets of uncirculated coins from a specific year
Sounds similar to US mint sets. Good to know. Thanks.

RedPandaDL said:
Thanks for the recommended site. I am fairly picky on the coins I buy, especially for my type set. I usually bid on lots of coins on eBay but win very few, because I try to be patient to get a good deal. I expect the trade dollar to set me back a bit. My son got a nice one for his birthday and I am jealous. He actually has way more coins than I do. My father in law is a big collector and got him started young.
The low grade ones are a shade under 200 dollars. A good starter piece that could later on be used as trade fodder. I would stray away from Ebay when it comes to higher grade items personally

Lonelydl said:
The low grade ones are a shade under 200 dollars. A good starter piece that could later on be used as trade fodder. I would stray away from Ebay when it comes to higher grade items personally
There are a couple sellers on Ebay that sell thousands of coins and I trust. They have coin stores as well and mostly buy estate collections and then break up to sell. I have had very good experiences with them. They also have very high quality pictures and I always reference a current price guide. Your caution is probably very wise though.

RedPandaDL said:
There are a couple sellers on Ebay that sell thousands of coins and I trust. They have coin stores as well and mostly buy estate collections and then break up to sell. I have had very good experiences with them. They also have very high quality pictures and I always reference a current price guide. Your caution is probably very wise though.
I suppose it's just because of my other hobby that I learned to be careful. Maybe I am about harsh on Ebay sellers

dogboy said:
For all the coins we've collected, I wonder how much we could sell them for. That reality always seems so disappointing.
Bottom line (when I got my heart tromped on years ago.)Nothing!

Actual Told by several dealers/buyers US coins face value unless key date and then they will not give you that much. Most foreign coins are devalued so very little unless they are key dates, then again they will not give you that much.

For me in Vancouver. 2 cents for wheat backs, face value for everything else, 3/4 spot market on silver and gold. All Foreign coins 2 cents each unless there is a lot of Canadian, then it is 30cents on the dollar, and they will not take Euro.

So like I have said before this is a hobby where you actually do through good money after bad.

Lonelydl said:
I suppose it's just because of my other hobby that I learned to be careful. Maybe I am about harsh on Ebay sellers
There are ones that just looking at there prices are so proud of their coins that I let them keep what they sell over priced. I have had some real "winners" that I dealt with ONCE. Then there is a handful that have my number and I should stay away from there sites, but $100 later I don't.

That is why I have a coin budget every month.

Back