Was anyone “allowed” to use their nappies on purpose as a child?

PCS

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
One of my early memories from when I was about three involved being put into a nappy in advance of a long car journey during which it was felt that I would probably fall asleep.

I think I was told, (or at least I had the impression!), that I didn’t need to worry about asking to stop if I needed a wee as I could just go in the nappy.

At the time I was day trained.

Was anyone else ever allowed to wet their nappies on purpose for convenience in this way?

Although this wasn’t my DL trigger I think the memory of it may have contributed in some way.

Reactions: karmag, TheDideeboy, Blekyss and 8 others
Also when on long car or train journeys I was told to go in my nappy as that is what they are for.

Reactions: Weeboy, LiddleBigBoy, espectro and 5 others
Same here on car journeys and also if staying away from home - didn't want me to wet the bed.

Reactions: russell100, Blekyss, checkingoutall and 1 other person
Only when I had them for bed wetting (aged around 9).

Reactions: Thalie, Blekyss, perlFerret and 1 other person
SlashNBurn said:
Only when I had them for bed wetting (aged around 9).
how long did you wear for bedwetting?

I don't ever remember being told to use them. I wore cloth pants, I guess training pants, that were pretty thick and plastic pants for long car rides and the occasional event until I was 5-6 maybe. At least a little past kindergarten. I would often end up wet on long car rides when I fell asleep. I don't ever remember wetting any other time. Always wanted to wear real diapers that I saw on commercials, Pampers.

I think my grandmother made the training pants. They were cloth diaper material and somewhat thick. I wore those at her place every night and when I stayed at my Dad's until I was 7 or 8. Stopped staying the night at my grandmothers after my dad moved away. Parents divorced when I was around 5.

It was until I lived with my Dad at 13 that I finally wore a disposable diaper. Absolutely hated it and loved it at the same time. Was never told use those either.

Reactions: theancientmariner and checkingoutall
I don’t ever remember being told it’s ok to use your diaper either, but I do have some memories of being young and over hearing other moms tell there kids it’s ok to use there diapers.
One such memory was when I was around 6 or 7, my moms friends kids were at our house, the girl Ashley was a year younger than me and she was car sick on the way up to our place ( think they lived 2hrs away) She had a little brother that was around 2 1/2 or 3, he was still in diapers (circa 1990) when they were leaving the house the mom changed the younger brothers diaper, then asked Ashley if she wanted to wear a diaper on the way home Incase she got car sick again.
I was so jealous

Reactions: Blekyss, GoodnitesXL21, Freddie07601 and 3 others
One of our old neighbours's 3 y/o wore a pull-up at a local bbq just in case he had an accident, but he did come to tell his mother he had to go to the toilet, but she told him to use his diaper since it was on pretty nice and snug and there was no facility to change him, so it would be inconvenient to take it off.

Myself, I was never told to use my diaper, they put me in them intul my 4th because a lot of things were going on then and they didn't want the added stress of potty training back then. (yes they had very valid reasons)

Reactions: checkingoutall
As a bedwetter, and someone who would go on long car trips, yeah, I would often wear a goodnite because we were on the road so early it was obvious I'd be asleep. Now and then I would claim to have "diarrhea" before running errands with my mother and I would wear a goodnite and wet it in public, just to be a little naughty.

Reactions: checkingoutall
NeilwearsNappies said:
how long did you wear for bedwetting?

Not that long. A few months perhaps at best. I already liked diapers before I had to wear for bedwetting.

I have no memories of wearing nappies first time around and very much doubt I would have been allowed to use mine for convenience, but I think this idea is pretty central to many DL desires including mine. It is a validation of what we like and what we do, not just from within the DL community but by ordinary people, making the idea seem more official and acceptable. If it's OK for ordinary potty-trained kids to use their nappies instead of the toilet, then maybe it really is OK for us.

I do remember a neigbour's niece and nephew getting ready for a long trip home, and their mum asking them if they wanted nappies on (certainly the daughter, not sure about the son). I was probably in my early teens and although the concept was not new to me (perhaps I thought I had invented it), to hear her almost encouraging the girl to wear a nappy was thrilling.

Reactions: Ickledan89, Andy86, Palle and 2 others
I was always in nappies for long journeys until I was about 6 or 7 and just expected to use them.

Reactions: Ickledan89, Blekyss, perlFerret and 1 other person
Same here. I recall being diapered for long trips, I clearly recall one time whining that I had to pee and my mom said “you’re wearing a diaper, use it” lol

• Love
Reactions: Blekyss, GoodnitesXL21, littleluvs and 1 other person
I can't remember directly wearing diapers myself at any point when I was young (I was potty trained REALLY early).

BUT, I do distinctly remember my little brother, who's 5 years younger than me, being told by my dad numerous times while we were camping (in a tent, in the middle of the night) to just pee in his diaper when he happened to need to 'go' in the night. Particularly when the weather was bad out. Weirdly enough, one thing I remember clearly about it was that my mom would always be upset about him doing that, and get mad at my dad for allowing it.

(We camped a LOT growing up. Usually every single weekend, more or less.)

Last edited:
Reactions: sinceiwassmall
I would've loved to be able to have heard this myself. Sadly I was potty trained around age 2 and never wore them again after that. With my kids I would be more relaxed on it and probably allow it on long car journeys or certain occasions.

Two stories not my own but would love to find them again. I am paraphrasing I cannot remember exactly how they went.

1. I was in line at a supermarket and the lady in front of me had a boy maybe 4 or 5 years old that was squirming around saying he needed to pee. The mom leanded over by him and said you have your diaper on so it is okay if you can't make it. The kid did not make it obvious that he had peed but he soon stopped squirming around.

2. I was waiting in line at a department store this lady with this boy about 5 years old was talking to someone and the boy said mommny I need to use the bathroom she said okay hold on and kept taking the boy kept saying it finally just say just use your diaper the boy looked embarrassed.

• Love
Reactions: denis97y, checkingoutall, AJFan2020 and 1 other person
Never had this happen to me, as far as I can remember. We did put our youngest in Pull-Ups, after he was potty-trained, for long car trips. I never minded the occasional bathroom stop, but when he was younger, the stops were just way too frequent. He had no ability to hold it. So we did the "go ahead and use your diaper" thing for a year or two. It's surely very common.

Reactions: xxPampersBoyxx and Spottypuppy5
I hear parents tell their kids to use their Pull-Ups or diapers quite a lot while I go at the mall or at some outdoor events, but I would say the oldest I've seen that was told to use his Pull-Ups could have been no more than 5 yrs old, so I guess its ok, some parents tell their kids public bathrooms are gross and dangerous and that's why they have diapers or Pull-Ups on so they don't have to go there.

I was at the zoo the other day and this little girl was asking her mom to go to the bathroom. The mother said “just use your diaper, thats why i put one on you”

Reactions: Diapercutie
I was 5-6 and my grandparents put me in pampers for long road trips.

Reactions: ronnieM, Diapered28 and checkingoutall
Back