World Coins

dogboy said:
Egor, you're a high roller!

I saw this the first time and was going to say "no I am just cheap and can get more lesser value coins for the same price"

But I got on line to look at messages and it popped up that this guy I am bidding against just upped it on bid increment. I looked at the book (not 100% reliable value source) and thought about the multiple ways to read your post.

So massage numbers and looking back at the 3 x I have bid on this year/mint before I am going to have to pay eventually.

So I bid again. I can tell my wife that you made me do it. 😁

egor said:
So I bid again. I can tell my wife that you made me do it. 😁

Haha.....and she'll say, "so....who is this dogboy?!"

Well in the LAST SECONDS I lost the bid on the 1909 S. I don't know whether to be thankful that this person same me form me, or pissed because this )*&)*^ person figured out my pattern of bidding and waited until the last second to up the bid past my safety net max.

"Stupid is as Stupid does"!
Definition of and IDIOT: the person that gets a stay of execution and gets back into the electric chair to see what might happen!

SO!!!

I get out of a Financial sticky bidding situation and get a message from E-Bay that there are more options out there for a 1909 S Indian head penny .

So stupid me I put in another bid that is on the edge of my budget!!

egor said:
Definition of and IDIOT: the person that gets a stay of execution and gets back into the electric chair to see what might happen

I did that once. Now I can put a light bulb in my mouth and make it light up!

Sorry you lost the bid, buddy.

egor said:
Definition of and IDIOT: the person that gets a stay of execution and gets back into the electric chair to see what might happen!

SO!!!

I get out of a Financial sticky bidding situation and get a message from E-Bay that there are more options out there for a 1909 S Indian head penny .

So stupid me I put in another bid that is on the edge of my budget!!

I just got out bid again.

Time to step away from the key board!

Haha....yeah. Time to get some fresh air and new perspective. I often have to do that with various things and situations.

egor said:
I do not know if I dare!!!!

I just went on to nerocoins.com and got into trouble again. This is the person I bought the 5 coins from. They deal in Ancient Greek, Roman, and middle east coins.

I just bought another 13 low grade coins for $1.59 US each to practice cleaning before I do the other ones.
All 18 of my Roman coins arrived today. I was surprised it went so smoothly, because the seller warned that he has been harassed by Customs before. Which did not surprise me because of the length of time it took the North Korean coins to arrive with 3 different trips through China and US Customs .

Any way I have done a Quick look at the coins and they are not as "dirty" as I expected. There is diffidently 4 copper coins, and at least two that I can read Caesar on them so that would be 100BC to 130 AD.

This is going to be so fun!!!!

It always amazes me when anyone such as ourselves can own something from the ancient world, something with Caesar's name on it. That said, I'm making a deal to have the original Colossus of Rhodes delivered to my house. It's going to span the entrance to my driveway.

dogboy said:
It always amazes me when anyone such as ourselves can own something from the ancient world, something with Caesar's name on it. That said, I'm making a deal to have the original Colossus of Rhodes delivered to my house. It's going to span the entrance to my driveway.

I think I will add some information just because.

The dealer I am working with buys these lots from the appropriate Government agencies, In this case the Government of Israel. The are suspected to be "Solders hoards" that where buried at the time never to be reclaimed. The governments for the country found investigate the "origin" of them and find them non-historical and them place them up for bid.

I do/did check this out, and saw the documentation that he legitimately has them and can do with as he pleases.

If I understand your comment. I agree. That is why I only buy my Native American art from the actual artist or a licensed dealer.

The cleaning of the coins is very time consuming, but the easier ones I have been able to get some detail and attempt to Identify/date them.

The first one I got cleaned I found this morning to be from the era of Constantine era from 335 to 375 A.D.

The more I research the more I find (if you can find a non-dealer site. Anyway I think the coins that I have are AS or Follies. The small denomination of the Roman Coins. This would make since, since they where soldiers money. They were payed sort of, and could come and go as they pleased, unlike the slaves that were not payed.

Last edited:
I think as Americans we have missed out on living on land that has a long history. If we were living in the U.K., we would have a better chance of finding something as amazing as ancient Roman coinage because Britain was one of Rome's farthest outposts. Occasionally someone will find an ancient coin on one of our beaches, having washed up from a wrecked ship.

dogboy said:
I think as Americans we have missed out on living on land that has a long history. If we were living in the U.K., we would have a better chance of finding something as amazing as ancient Roman coinage because Britain was one of Rome's farthest outposts. Occasionally someone will find an ancient coin on one of our beaches, having washed up from a wrecked ship.
The farthest back that you can attribute American coinage would he the silver coins from Spain or the Dutch pennies

To show what I got. (I finally learned how to save/transfer pictures)

Just to show off.

Better look of partially cleaned and Identifying marks notes for the roman coins34622

I got it. Just bought a 1921 d Mercury dime to complete may collection and for cheaper and in better shape then the one I bid on and lost.

That's awesome and yes, I'm jealous. Of course, I'd rather have a '40 Ford coupe hot rod, but that's just me.

egor said:
I got it. Just bought a 1921 d Mercury dime to complete may collection and for cheaper and in better shape then the one I bid on and lost.
The 1916d is the one that will set you back abit

I do not remember where or when I got it, but it did not go for a price that was that notable.

Update.

Now I understand. I did not have it listed because it is sealed off in the book. So I will have to add and * to the "complete" phrase.

Last edited:
Back