Ordering from manufacturers

winterheart01

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Incontinent
So i was looking into ordering directly from thrust vector or forsite's branch in France since they're close but their shipping fees are killing me :(

Thrust vector charges about 11 eur per box of 4 bags o.o
When buying in large amounts this adds up quickly.
Other vendors sometimes offer free shipping on large orders but the manufacturer doesn't.
Really hurts :(

Shipping to where?

Diapers are large, bulky and heavy and that means they cost money to ship. It's never free, it would just be factored into in the cost of the product.

blob said:
Shipping to where?

Diapers are large, bulky and heavy and that means they cost money to ship. It's never free, it would just be factored into in the cost of the product.
Iget that but I had diapers shipped from SaveExpress (DE) to BE much cheaper than what Thrust Vector is charging.
Though it seems they have subscription plans which compensate.

As to whether or not a manufacturer is cheaper to buy from depends upon the logistics structure of that business. If they're not set up to make residential deliveries, then shipping fees are likely to be higher than from a dedicated distributor.

I live not too far from a couple of well-known manufacturer's factories-cum-distribution centres and their fees are fairy reasonable, although their products can be bought at a lower price from equally nearby dedicated distributors.
In the past, I often bought, in person, from those manufacturers (as well as several, lesser known others). If you're close enough, it's worth visiting in person, just to have a look around (as much as they'll let you) and have a natter with the folk there.

ade said:
As to whether or not a manufacturer is cheaper to buy from depends upon the logistics structure of that business. If they're not set up to make residential deliveries, then shipping fees are likely to be higher than from a dedicated distributor.

I live not too far from a couple of well-known manufacturer's factories-cum-distribution centres and their fees are fairy reasonable, although their products can be bought at a lower price from equally nearby dedicated distributors.
In the past, I often bought, in person, from those manufacturers (as well as several, lesser known others). If you're close enough, it's worth visiting in person, just to have a look around (as much as they'll let you) and have a natter with the folk there.

That's what I did for Ontex as I live close to their factory.
Unfortunatly the quality of their products declined so I want to switch to betterdry completely. To do this I must either order from resellers but their stock is unreliable, some have either low stock and are sold out quickly or just not restocked in a long while.
I am aware right now all resellers here are out of stock from the problem with the manufacturer, but I prefer a reliable source, so I went to look at the options the manufacturer has to offer. I know DPD shipping to my country is 8.90 or so depenidng on the volume. Some resellers do offer either free shipping or discount based on large volumes.
Thrust vector only offers a discount on subscription orders which is perfectly fine by me, but the fact they charge 11.90 EUR per case (one case contains 4 bags) can be a steep cost.
It's teh same thing when trying to order special potting soil mixes online that none of the local stores have here, same steep shipping fees because they don't want you to order so much, they prefer that you visit them in person, but for me that's a bit difficult, not just because it's a country next to me but also as I am physically unable to drive there. Again and again I am hindered by this problem and it botheres me to no end that I must bite the dust because society wants me to drive there by car...I am heavily reliant on online orders :(

Have you tried Amazon? I've had some ridiculously good deals with regards to shipping costs when buying tools and parts which have, unbeknownst to me (and Amazon by the looks of it) come from Slovakia and the like. Free Next day delivery from Slovakia to the UK 🤣
Worth a look to see if you can get stuff from other parts of the EU.
I'm on Amazon Prime, by the way, because the delivery service is probably the best in the UK.

Last edited:
ade said:
Have you tried Amazon? I've had some ridiculously good deals with regards to shipping costs when buying tools and parts which have, unbeknownst to me (and Amazon by the looks of it) come from Slovakia and the like. Free Next day delivery from Slovakia to the UK 🤣
Worth a look to see if you can get stuff from other parts of the EU.
I'm on Amazon Prime, by the way, because the delivery service is probably the best in the UK.

I did, same problem, sellers are running out of their stock from the earlier mentioned incident, only printed varieties remain and thei're much more expensive.
I too have prime but it turns out that sellers often add part of the shipping fee in the main price.

winterheart01 said:
I too have prime but it turns out that sellers often add part of the shipping fee in the main price.
Yeah, it's all a case of weighing up one cost against another. Even Amazon's goods are often slightly costlier, but that's obviously offset against the cost of going out shopping. Still, you can get some good deals if spend enough time 'window shopping'; I bought some cheapo dispies from Amazon a while ago, three packs of 28 for £9, which I think were a shelf clearance. On that note, Amazon have been in the news (again) for the amount of goods which they send to landfill once a trader's storage-costs deal had ended and the trader can no longer afford Amazon's service. Maybe we'll see more shelf clearance items in light of the bad publicity?

Back