How the hell do you survive the summer heat without a/c??

For years we lived without AC. Not by choice, we couldn't afford to fix the AC. And I live in pretty much the most south you can possibly get in Texas without crossing into Mexico. Summer room temperatures would be over 90 in the day and only tolerable at night while still being in the lower 80s. Outside temperatures would go over 100°F on most days.

The trick is having a good strong fan, not moving, and wear as few clothes as you can. The lighter the better. Light colored clothes are cooler than dark colored. Also block your windows with blackout curtains or with aluminum foil. Even with all that, you've just kind of got to accept it's gonna be uncomfortable. Hopefully you don't live in a place as hot as this.

very hot is san francisco, 97 degrees. Nobody except Library and Movies have a/c.

Apt wiring can't support a/c . able to walk around in just a diaper and tank top, or just diaper. loved this part. . In regular weather I can walk around in Tykable rompers with short legs, and just put regular clothes on these when going into public.

I don't think is possible to survive without an A/C personally I don't find a way to before when I don't have the A/C even a fan add heat so there are no Real solution.

Borya said:
you'll be ok running a swamp cooler - it won't hurt your pc - I run one out in my garage down here in Houston we see a lot of +90% humidity when it's cold or hot. never had a single issue - i used to run plasma/oxy cnc machines down here as well - one was even a diy job with an off the shelf pc not even 6' from the water table - no problems.

unless it leaks water on the pc you'll be good.
Thé electronic part don't like the humidity you should be very careful with the humidity.

Maybe what some of you should do is Lookup Redneck AC for beating the heat. It requires A fan A Ice chest with a lot of Ice in it and PCP pipe to set the direction of the airflow. You can also store your beer in it to keep cold.

Or fill up some old water Bottle freeze them and get some duck tape and tape it behind the Fan.

Last edited:
trysexiea said:
I don't think is possible to survive without an A/C personally I don't find a way to before when I don't have the A/C even a fan add heat so there are no Real solution.
There are lots of real solutions that people have mentioned. Tons of people around the world survive without AC and I know many students who are my age whose sublets have no AC and even in 35-40°C weather they manage to do fine

Last edited:

There are these things, not cheap but they work. They are small and do not produce warm air/exhaust... only cool air!! Great for beside your bed.

I seem to manage without AC somehow during the day, though that said my 'day' is night, as I am a bit noctournal. I can't sleep without my AC or a fan on though... even in winter. (Though usually I just use the AC in the winter for the vent mode and the actual cooling bit is off, just to circulate air in my room because my room gets very dry, stale, and hot, could be 10 degrees (F) outside and 30 in the rest of the house and my room is still like 70) In the summer, I run my AC and a fan at the end of my bed. Keeps the room around 65-75ish, it should hover around 60 but my room has outside on 3 sides of it and the sun hits it all day.

When I'm not in my room I just have a good strong fan next to me. Ironically, my computer puts out cold air from the radiator on the water cooler, if I set the fan right, it'll supercharge the cold air not only back into the PC to keep it cool, but onto me as well. Pretty nice setup imo.

Trevor said:
Last year was the first year I didn't. Seattle is only supposed to have about a week's worth (generally spaced out) of uncomfortably warm weather over the summer but the days keep adding and last year I broke down and got a window unit. I took it out in the fall and haven't had the need to put it back yet. I'll be quite happy if it isn't needed.
Global warming's a lie.

As you know, I'm a Seattlite also. Or, well... now a little north of there, but still... Can't recall if you said you grew up in the area. I did, and I'm pretty sure my childhood featured exactly zero of these week-long stints of 90+ degrees, and month-long stints of smoke-filled skies. I think it's fair to say that our summers have gotten objectively worse these last ten or so years.

About eight years ago, while living just east of Seattle, I similarly broke down and bought an A/C unit, though ours was the kind that stood on the floor and connected to a window-mounted plate using flexible hoses. It made those weeks of mid-90's survivable. As of four years ago, though, I'm about 500 feet from seawater, so as soon as the sun goes down, the temperature plunges. Ceiling fans and a few open windows are enough to keep things comfortable.

For now!

Antientmariner said:
Can't use the swamp cooler because of my electronics and I'll be leaving in a week anyways for the remainder of the summer. I'm dying here!😭
Heh. "Swamp cooler" is a mysterious and exotic term up in this corner of the country. I had to look it up just now to remind myself what a swamp cooler was a how it worked.

Cottontail said:
Global warming's a lie.

As you know, I'm a Seattlite also. Or, well... now a little north of there, but still... Can't recall if you said you grew up in the area. I did, and I'm pretty sure my childhood featured exactly zero of these week-long stints of 90+ degrees, and month-long stints of smoke-filled skies. I think it's fair to say that our summers have gotten objectively worse these last ten or so years.

About eight years ago, while living just east of Seattle, I similarly broke down and bought an A/C unit, though ours was the kind that stood on the floor and connected to a window-mounted plate using flexible hoses. It made those weeks of mid-90's survivable. As of four years ago, though, I'm about 500 feet from seawater, so as soon as the sun goes down, the temperature plunges. Ceiling fans and a few open windows are enough to keep things comfortable.

For now!

Heh. "Swamp cooler" is a mysterious and exotic term up in this corner of the country. I had to look it up just now to remind myself what a swamp cooler was a how it worked.
I've lived in this area all my life and have felt the summers get consistently warmer with higher heat spikes. I remember some very hot days from my childhood but they were an aberration, not the dreaded norm. When people came visitors moved in and asked about A/C, we'd laugh. Why would anyone need A/C in Seatlle?

Last edited:
Cottontail said:
Global warming's a lie.

For now!

LMAO! 🤣 they're great and aren't expensive to run all day like an A/C unit.

Antientmariner said:
LMAO! 🤣 they're great and aren't expensive to run all day like an A/C unit.
Heh, yeah... Alien technology!! But actually, there'd be no way I could run one, if I understand the requirements. My house is on a small private well system, and we have to watch our water usage like crazy.

There are closed-loop water-based heating/cooling systems out there, though, and I've considered something like that for when we eventually have to replace our furnace.

Something that may help as it has helped me, and is not permanent, is a UV blocking film sold at hardware stores. In the USA think Lowe’s or Home Depot. It’s a little expensive around $50US for a roll that will do maybe three windows.

This blocks the heat exchange through the window and helps the sun not heat the room as much when shining through the glass. It can be removed by simply peeling it off when you move out.

Installation can be difficult (think applying window tint to your car) but the end result can be well worth it.

And since this is in the diaper talk topic. I’ll add that hot weather makes for sweaty diapers!

daddyb said:
Something that may help as it has helped me, and is not permanent, is a UV blocking film sold at hardware stores. In the USA think Lowe’s or Home Depot. It’s a little expensive around $50US for a roll that will do maybe three windows.

This blocks the heat exchange through the window and helps the sun not heat the room as much when shining through the glass. It can be removed by simply peeling it off when you move out.

Installation can be difficult (think applying window tint to your car) but the end result can be well worth it.

And since this is in the diaper talk topic. I’ll add that hot weather makes for sweaty diapers!
Lol I noticed this may have been placed in the wrong section, but imo it's the most active, so I was sure I was more than likely to get an answer here than the other topics. But not to worry, I hooked up my cooler, but it's going to be short lived as I'll be leaving for the summer shortly.

How do I survive the summer heat without a/c...? I take off my coat.

Honestly, I'm sick of being cold. It's June! I'd be happy if it was 35 degrees every day -- even without aircon. How did people ever inhabit the UK without central heating?!

neophyte said:

There are these things, not cheap but they work. They are small and do not produce warm air/exhaust... only cool air!! Great for beside your bed.
It a mini Swamp cooler.

Lestat said:
It a mini Swamp cooler.

Personally because I use the A/C to create Cold in the summer and create heat in the winter, the investment is totally justified :) some A/C are reversible.

neophyte said:

perfect to be sick.

Lestat said:
It a mini Swamp cooler.
Yes effectively, so it's very useful surly Haha

I usually wear thinner diapers like goodnights and don’t mess unless I’m at home ready to change or if I’m in public I need to be near a bathroom. Make sure to bring a few diapers if you are in public as because of the thinness. For example I can go through 5 wet diapers a day. And at night I just sleep with only a diaper and covers off if that’s possible.

Back