How the hell do you survive the summer heat without a/c??

theancientmariner

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Can't use the swamp cooler because of my electronics and I'll be leaving in a week anyways for the remainder of the summer. I'm dying here!šŸ˜­

Last year was the first year I didn't. Seattle is only supposed to have about a week's worth (generally spaced out) of uncomfortably warm weather over the summer but the days keep adding and last year I broke down and got a window unit. I took it out in the fall and haven't had the need to put it back yet. I'll be quite happy if it isn't needed.

Trevor said:
Last year was the first year I didn't. Seattle is only supposed to have about a week's worth (generally spaced out) of uncomfortably warm weather over the summer but the days keep adding and last year I broke down and got a window unit. I took it out in the fall and haven't had the need to put it back yet. I'll be quite happy if it isn't needed.
Wow quite the coincidence, Seattle is where I'm going! Well for about 2 hours or so until I fly to Alaska.I wish I could live up there but my family is all here in socal.i probably need to take your advice and get my damn self a window unit, because I have about $3000 invested in my PC and don't want it ruined by my swamp cooler.

Antientmariner said:
Wow quite the coincidence, Seattle is where I'm going! Well for about 2 hours or so until I fly to Alaska.I wish I could live up there but my family is all here in socal.i probably need to take your advice and get my damn self a window unit, because I have about $3000 invested in my PC and don't want it ruined by my swamp cooler.
you'll be ok running a swamp cooler - it won't hurt your pc - I run one out in my garage down here in Houston we see a lot of +90% humidity when it's cold or hot. never had a single issue - i used to run plasma/oxy cnc machines down here as well - one was even a diy job with an off the shelf pc not even 6' from the water table - no problems.

unless it leaks water on the pc you'll be good.

Borya said:
you'll be ok running a swamp cooler - it won't hurt your pc - I run one out in my garage down here in Houston we see a lot of +90% humidity when it's cold or hot. never had a single issue - i used to run plasma/oxy cnc machines down here as well - one was even a diy job with an off the shelf pc not even 6' from the water table - no problems.

unless it leaks water on the pc you'll be good.
Well that's where my problem lies.i can't rearrange my room because of how it is and my tower is like 3' from the cooler, pointed right at it, so that's not an option for me

You keep windows and blinds closed and you use regular fans and ceiling fans and you dress lightly. I am someone who grew up without any AC. But I live in the Pacific Northwest. In Montana it would get very hot in the summer and I spent most of my time in the basement. But it would cool at night and you open the windows for fresh air and have fans going. When I lived on my own, I always wore a bathing suit and used a mini fan because I didn't have a regular fan and my house had poor insulation so it would get real hot inside. I also took cool showers too.

When I lived in my apartment, same thing and also we had fans we bought and I would use the wall AC and run it for 3 hours to cool the place down and then use regular fans. I only used the AC if it got above 90 degrees. AC was expensive. Plus I would just go to a bookstore or something to keep cool.

Reactions: Trevor
It is kind of rough during the hot summers in New York City. I have a dog so I usually pay a high electric bill during the summer months. A/C keeps me from taking cold showers during the summer and I try to stay in the pool most times during the heat. There are certain people that can take the heat and don't use A/C .. More power to them.

Reactions: trysexiea
I have the bad luck of being located in a apt building and all my windows face the strong and hot sun of the afternoon, and not any shades to protect my windows from it except the curtains inside, so without a windows A/C unit (can't install any more permanent solutions), that sometimes go up to 41C (107F I think) inside and real humid here, The owner of the apt (not sure of correct term for it in english) refuse me the right to put some curtains around my balcony area, that would put some shade down on my A/C unit and prevent it from powering off because the sun shine directly on it while its the mostly needed time for it to run, I suppose there's an emergency cut off because its too hot in there.

CodyBaby said:
I have the bad luck of being located in a apt building and all my windows face the strong and hot sun of the afternoon, and not any shades to protect my windows from it except the curtains inside, so without a windows A/C unit (can't install any more permanent solutions), that sometimes go up to 41C (107F I think) inside and real humid here, The owner of the apt (not sure of correct term for it in english) refuse me the right to put some curtains around my balcony area, that would put some shade down on my A/C unit and prevent it from powering off because the sun shine directly on it while its the mostly needed time for it to run, I suppose there's an emergency cut off because its too hot in there.
Seriously? You landlord (apt owner) won't allow you to put a shade above your a/c? Dose he know anything about electronics and how got they can get, especially in the summer time? Take a look at Japan. Every a/c unit has some kind of shade above it.

Reactions: CrazySmoker and trysexiea
Antientmariner said:
Seriously? You landlord (apt owner) won't allow you to put a shade above your a/c? Dose he know anything about electronics and how got they can get, especially in the summer time? Take a look at Japan. Every a/c unit has some kind of shade above it.

I may try to do something this year, no matter if he wants it or not, I will choose a white color material and try to improvise some kind of a protective tent on the A/C unit, will need to figure out something next week.

I have a room set up in my basement that has a recliner and tv. It stays really cool down there. In the late afternoon, if it gets too warm, I just head downstairs and relax in the cool basement and watch movies.

Like Trevor, I live up in Washington (until this summer) too and AC isnā€™t really a necessity except for a week or two in the summers. For those days, a window unit works wonders.

I just hate heat and I am in the UK so we don't get very hot temperatures but it is enough! I find I have to be more careful of rashes etc. I have fans in my bedroom no A/C but find the noise of the fans to be bothersome. I have thought about A/C but for the UK it really isn't worth it.
I have a section in my blog about Nappies and heat so feel free to take a look.

Living in England we cope by tutting and complaining about the weather, and then having a cup of tea.

• Haha
Reactions: Malverndl
I survived my first 40 sweltering New England summers with out air conditioning but for the last 20 I've been happy to pay the extra $125 a month on my electric bill to cool my entire home.

The best idea is to buy blackout curtains. I have a movable AC for the Living room. The bedrooms when it starts getting cool have it blow cool air in. If you wake up early. Shut the windows before it gets hot.

If I'm cold, I'll turn on the heat. If I'm hot, I'll turn on the air.

I'll gripe about all the other bills as is my privilege since I pay them, but if there's one thing I won't complain about is the electric or gas bill here in Wisconsin.

Last edited:
Nam Repaid said:
I survived my first 40 sweltering New England summers with out air conditioning but for the last 20 I've been happy to pay the extra $125 a month on my electric bill to cool my entire home.

What 125$ a month extra just to run a A/C unit either you have a full big house or damn your electricity cost an arm and a leg compared to what we have here, without A/C during summer my bills were around 75-80$ for 2 months (between 58 and 63 days, they have a very weird system, we don't receive a bill every month) and with my A/C running this goes up to around 100-115$ for 2 months, I'm in an apt a 3 1/2 to be exact.

I canā€™t! Once it gets a bit warm and humid I need ac!!!!!

Only substitution is a fan blowing on me and a fan that fits in the window and blows the cool night air into my room!

Back