Looking for interested person near Lancaster, PA

Dlforpurity

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I have begun exploring and planning with a goal to manufacture my own style of diapers and maybe try to get some lines to manufacture for example ABU in the future. I figure designing a diaper and look at machines to get used. I am a machinist so many parts can be made in house. Anybody interested in getting there foot in diaper manufacturing?

Carlisle here sounds interesting

Do you have any business background or expense plans for purchasing and maintaining machines, stocking materials, distributing, packaging, etc.? Do you have a warehouse, etc.? It's a massive time and monetary commitment. I'd be surprised if you could make the required parts...in your house. Before trying to find people to get on board with you I think you need to either step back and consider and get more planned out or show us you have a lot more planned than what is coming across as a sudden, impulsive "today I feel like starting a niche adult diaper company"

First need to aquire a model to work off. I am thinking of getting some vintage pampers luvs and or huggies as the model then expand it to adult sizes. There is much research to do and suppliers to locate. Once a plan is put together I would then apply for a VA business loan.

Dlforpurity said:
First need to aquire a model to work off. I am thinking of getting some vintage pampers luvs and or huggies as the model then expand it to adult sizes. There is much research to do and suppliers to locate. Once a plan is put together I would then apply for a VA business loan.

Eastern PA here. That wouldn’t work unless you heavily modify it. Babies bodies are much different builds that adults. You’d be better off creating one from scratch. As for the machine, to make one yourself would takes years of trial and error and a lot of money. I don’t want to deter you but I don’t think you’re approaching it from al angles.

Dlforpurity said:
I have begun exploring and planning with a goal to manufacture my own style of diapers and maybe try to get some lines to manufacture for example ABU in the future.

There are some good videos on youtube showing diaper manufacturing machines and lines. About 1/2 of them are adult diaper lines. They'll usually do a walk-through from when the shell enters the line from enormous rollers, all the way down to the machine that stuffs stacks of finished diapers into the bags and seals them. The line / machine is always very long and the walk-through takes several minutes. Gives you a good chance to see just how many steps and mechanical intricacies are involved.

A lot of it goes by like a blur too, the machines are pretty fast. It doesn't look like something a single person could ever design or assemble. Occasionally you'll even run into these machines for sale, 500k is a median price for a used machine. But when you put raw materials in one end and a finished product rolls out the other end, ready for sale, you're basically minting money.

Reactions: mayhem
I'm actually in Lancaster, but don't see how I could help. IMHO the place to start is understanding where to procure all the raw materials and learning their industrial names. Buy a plane ticket to the city where Depends, Attends, Tranquility, etc. are manufactured and hang around the plant until you can get an employee to spill the beans? PM me if you want to talk.

Last edited:
depends4me said:
I'm actually in Lancaster, but don't see how I could help. IMHO the place to start is understanding where to procure all the raw materials and learning their industrial names. Buy a plane ticket to the city where Depends, Attends, Tranquility, etc. are manufactured and hang around the plant until you can get an employee to spill the beans? PM me if you want to talk.
What is your trade? I sense oppportunity doing this.

I'm an IT guy, mechanically-inclined but not an engineer. More to the systems/software side.

Dlforpurity said:
I have begun exploring and planning with a goal to manufacture my own style of diapers...

I say Go For It! You'll get the last laugh when you're relaxing in "your" diaper on a private beach in Tahiti. The diaper market is on fire and will only get hotter. North Shore knows that.

I'm an engineer with many years of experience designing manufacturing machinery, among other things. Designing and building your own diaper production machine is certainly not impossible, but please be aware that it's going to be a very, very large and expensive undertaking. I would not tackle this level of design without an engineering team (two mechanical, one controls, and a draftsman as needed, at a bare minimum) and significant support from vendors or outside experts to solve the challenges of adhesives, heat sealing, pad production, and web cutting.

The first challenge is how to produce the pad. I understand that most current manufacturers use a spray deposition of SAP and cellulose fibers into a vacuum mold, so you'll have to work out how the spray nozzle work, how to entrain the materials in the feed lines, and how to handle the bulk materials.

Once you have the pad production portion designed, you'll need to deal with the inner liner. This is generally done as a hot spray/hot press operation with hydrophobic synthetic fibers such as polypropylene, with the sheet density designed such that you get a permeable but continuous sheet.

Next up is web handling for the PE backsheet rolls. To minimize waste, though, you may want to cut them asymmetrically from the web, which will add to the challenges of handling the material since you'll no longer have a continuous web. Also, you'll have to work out cutting methodology - steel rule dies are easy and cheap but need the web started and stopped, while rotary die cutters are more expensive and complicate your changeovers but handle the web better.

Now that you've got your primary raw material feed, you'll have to work out how to assemble it. Adhesives, heart sealing, impulse sealing, and ultrasonic sealing all come to mind, and it's likely that various parts will require various solutions. What holds the liner and backsheet together might be very different from what holds the elastic cords for the legs and waist.

Once you get past all that, you'll just need a folder and a packaging stage, ideally feed from a pre-printed PE web that can be impulse sealed at the edges to form a bag, then held open while the stack of complete diapers is compressed and dropped in.

Beyond these basic steps, you'll want prices controls, quality inspections, and likely a vision inspection of the finished goods prior to the folder. There are going to be significant controls that go into this machine - I can visualize at least half a dozen servo drives, and banks of Mac valves running various air cylinders and nozzles. Off the church, if expect a machine of this magnitude to require at least a hundred square feet of panel space for the PLC and all the I/O.

You'll need a plant with a good air supply, probably on the order of a rotary vane compressor and a large receiver tank. You'll need equipment to handle master rolls and supersacks of raw materials. Depending on the material handling systems chosen, you may need a mezzanine with flow bins, or you may need an air entrainment transfer system. Don't forget to keep OSHA happy with how you handle airborne didn't and explosion hazards.

Over you get done with all this, the real money is going to be in selling machines to manufacturers. There's going to be a tremendous amount of NRE cost to absorb, and if you're primarily interested in manufacturing diapers you might do well to let a machine supplier handle the NRE.

FWIW, my company is busy with a capex project to add a new line of products at our existing plant. The machines are much simpler, just vertical fill/seal units similar to what we've been running, maintaining, and modifying in out existing line for many years. Even with four machines that we have considerable expertise with, it's much cheaper to source then from a supplier whose whole business is building vertical fill/seal machines.

I am sorry for the delay. Been dealing with health issues. Does anyone have any pampers or luvs from the ealry ninetys to late eighties? I plan on trying to replicate them in adult sizes. In same to better materials but in adult sizing. May also do a children's line also.

As a machinist myself, I find this to be a fun and exciting idea. Of course it would be hard without the necessary working capital. Being able to make parts and repair your own machines is a plus and would get your overhead down some. I think its very doable even without a team of engineers it would just be time consuming. You either have money or you have time.

Dlforpurity said:
I am sorry for the delay. Been dealing with health issues. Does anyone have any pampers or luvs from the ealry ninetys to late eighties? I plan on trying to replicate them in adult sizes. In same to better materials but in adult sizing. May also do a children's line also.
You still sound like you're way in over your head. First producing adult diapers, now a childrens' line? Also why would children want vintage-style baby diapers? And as people have said before, if you're just going to try to scale them up, you're going to fail miserably

You won’t be able to 100% replicate them. Adult diapers are functionally and physically different from baby diapers due to the difference in anatomy between adults and children. The concept is the same, they serve the same purpose, but are two different things. Honestly, not to discourage anyone, but your ideas are somewhat unrealistic.

Dlforpurity said:
What is your trade? I sense oppportunity doing this.
Not unless you have loads of money to work with and are willing to make some choices that are going to probably be met with some backlash. Starting up an adult diaper company is not an instant way to become rich. Catering to Adult babies/diaper lovers won't win the Incontinence market and Adult Baby/Diaper lover are a niche market (people making these post seem to forget they aren't in the majority)

Are you sure you'd even be up for such a stressful undertaking if you have to state this in a message board?

Last edited:
You know you may be right I have no clue in making diapers. I see an opportunity to jump at. You may hate it or call me dumb so be it. That seems to be the case with many entrepreneurs.

Successful Entrepreneurs have a clear goal, they surround themselves with people who can achieve specific points of their goals and bring to the table what they can, they go in knowing that even with all this they can still lose even under the best conditions.

Dlforpurity said:
You know you may be right I have no clue in making diapers. I see an opportunity to jump at. You may hate it or call me dumb so be it. That seems to be the case with many entrepreneurs.
Rennecfox put it well. You're diving into an industry which you are overconfident in your knowledge in. You want to build/buy a $50k+ without knowing the process, you expect to be able to create a diaper without knowing how they work specifically and are manufactured, and you see an opportunity which really isn't that clear. As put as well you also don't really seem to have a clear goal in mind and just kind of expect to be able to do this or that however you think and then have cash flow into you; I know this sounds blunt but you kind of need to wake up--it's a difficult industry and a herculean task to expect to do this without a significant investment which I don't see you having or getting. Many many many entrepreneurs fail. Just because you call yourself one doesn't mean you're going to be successful

Last edited:
Reactions: rennecfox
Topex said:
Many many many entrepreneurs fail. Just because you call yourself one doesn't mean you're going to be successful
Doesn't mean you won't either. The world needs dreamers. Makes it a more interesting place.

OP, I hope you follow your heart and make something remarkable.

Reactions: ltaluv, gamefreak94 and mayhem
Back