ABUniverse and their stock...

mayhem

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Does this company ever have diapers? How do they stay in business? I can't figure out why they stay with their lousy supplier. If there is that much demand they should be tripling or quadrupling their orders. I don't think their hands are tied, I think they just make really lousy business decisions. Anyone else feel the same?

Nope, I think they are doing a great job and that's why there always out of stock, abu just had a big summer release saying that they're making many changes into this summer, between releasing new products and a commitment in keeping there most popular items in stock 100% guarantee.
I bet the new china tariffs are reeking havoc with them right now

Reactions: Sheepies
pampers4U said:
Nope, I think they are doing a great job and that's why there always out of stock, abu just had a big summer release saying that they're making many changes into this summer, between releasing new products and a commitment in keeping there most popular items in stock 100% guarantee.
I bet the new china tariffs are reeking havoc with them right now

How do you come to the conclusion that a company that doesn’t have any product is good? It’s a stocking failure. It has been for a very long time. The Chinese tarries haven’t done a damn thing to affect their stock simply because they don’t have anything in stock. That is a poor excuse and hardly thought out (no offense).

I lost my sympathy for the company when they stopped delivering to other web-shops. First I had more than one place to go for my orders, now I must order my diapers from ABU themselves, from another country, in larger quantities, with longer delivery times, and for higher delivery costs. If they are in stock at all.

ABU is well known for this problem.
Many (most?) people around here who used to order from them have switched to ordering from Northshore instead.

Reactions: dlguy4life, 12srepaid and mayhem
ABU is now permanently stocking a few brands iirc, and with the amount they sell, sure they can't always maintain stock but it seems like they're keeping business and moving their product really well

Last edited:
ABU is vastly improved over their....questionable past however its in your best interest to try other brands as well so you can at least have something available "Cough Northshore cough" Its rather funny because it took me half a year to be able to get one single pack of peekABUs for the first time and while i love them a ton i dunno if id want to wait another half year for some stock lol

Their lack of stock at least in mediums is why i only order from northshorecare now. Everything is always in stock. I haven't been able to get my 1st, 2nd or even 3rd or 4th choice from ABU for over a year. Its seems like on the rare times they do restock mediums are sold out by the next day.

I order from Northshore. However, I want a single tape diaper for the weekends.

DanielW said:
They must be doing something at least halfway well...they seem to sell all of the diapers that they are able to order...

Not necessarily. If they only make small orders and sell out, that doesn’t mean they are doing things right.

I stopped even checking with them when i restock my stash, they are always sold out of whatever it is i want, i love their diapers but if they dont have them then they dont do me any good. I think the fact that people tend to buy several cases when they do have stock further exacerbates the problem. If they actually are able to keep certain diapers in stock permanently it will probably help. As for me i have moved on, for now at least

Reactions: DprEffect
Bought some ABU form nappiesrus a few weeks ago, cheaper anyway.

probably just a cash-flow bottleneck

If you wear regularly you should keep a decently stocked stash anyway, and buy in bulk when there's a sale. (that's what I do) If I run low on something, I have other options available, too.

I think they have so much demand they can't keep up with it. So once they do get in stock, you have to snag some NOW even if you don't need more diapers. I still think they should raise their stock and perhaps limit the cases per customer and packs too.

Here's the problem: if they order too little and they sell out, they made their money but they're not making more money waiting for restock. However, this also reduces risk from manufacturing defects. If they order too much, they spent too much up front and will wait too long to sell it. They also run the risk of having to throw out more product if there's a substantial defect. They've chosen to go with the former and play it safe, keeping a more guaranteed cash flow.

NovaDL said:
Here's the problem: if they order too little and they sell out, they made their money but they're not making more money waiting for restock. However, this also reduces risk from manufacturing defects. If they order too much, they spent too much up front and will wait too long to sell it. They also run the risk of having to throw out more product if there's a substantial defect. They've chosen to go with the former and play it safe, keeping a more guaranteed cash flow.

That is a flawed logic. Smaller orders do not reduce the risk of defect at all. Defects come from the diaper machine need calibration and a few other things. The company that produces the diapers make them in mass quantities in order to be practical. Defects can and do happen. Imagine a small shipment with defects. Now you’re in even more trouble.

Random fact

REARZ

I ordered some diapers from Rearz on March 25th, I just made another order on May 13th. That's 49 days.

Based on the order numbers 65532 & 61768 I assume they have made 3,764 sales orders in 49 days. That's about 77 orders per day that Rearz fulfills. Nice!

TYKABLES

I orders some onesies on February 7th, I place another order on February 13th. That's 6 days.

Based on the order numbers 44913 & 45229 I assume they have made 316 sales orders in 6 days, thats about 53 orders per day that Tykables fulfills

Now I can't say what the orders are for, could be as small as one shirt, or as big as 10 cases of diapers and 20 shirts.

Last edited:
neophyte said:
REARZ
Based on the order numbers 65532 & 61768 I assume they have made 3,764 sales orders in 49 days. That's about 77 orders per day that Rearz fulfills. Nice!

TYKABLES
Based on the order numbers 44913 & 45229 I assume they have made 316 sales orders in 6 days, thats about 53 orders per day that Tykables fulfills

Now I can't say what the orders are for, could be as small as one shirt, or as big as 10 cases of diapers and 20 shirts.
Using your same hypothesis, I looked at some of my previous ABU orders. They showed a rate of approximately 62 orders per day. That rate falls in line with the competition. Sadly, I also realized that my last order with ABU was Feb. 2017...they've been out of stock of my preferred product for that long. I also noticed that they are having a "Snail Sale" currently. Many of the products on sale are the ONLY available products in that line.

I also applied your hypothesis of order tracking to my NorthShore account. That data suggests they see an order rate of 1087 per day. This would make sense as they are an established medical supplier, not just a niche market retailer.

Last edited:
Reactions: neophyte
Llayden said:
Using your same hypothesis, I looked at some of my previous ABU orders. They showed a rate of approximately 62 orders per day. That rate falls in line with the competition. Sadly, I also realized that my last order with ABU was Feb. 2017...they've been out of stock of my preferred product for that long. I also noticed that they are having a "Snail Sale" currently. Many of the products on sale are the ONLY available products in that line.

I also applied your hypothesis of order tracking to my NorthShore account. That data suggests they see an order rate of 1087 per day. This would make sense as they are an established medical supplier, not just a niche market retailer.
If that is an accurate representation, we'd still need to know whether that numbering is used across all locations or is warehouse specific. They have two US warehouses, Canada, UK, and Japan as well in the mix.

Reactions: Llayden
Back