Idea for ABU's stocking situation

SorcerorElf

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
If I'm understanding this correctly, ABU is struggling to keep up with the demand because they have so many different diapers, several different sizes, and don't want to sacrifice any. (Which a lot of us appreciate)

So, what if ABU used a rotating schedule for their products? If ABU swapped out their products every 4 or 6 months, they would only have to have on hand 1/2 or 1/3 of their total inventory at any given time.

For example: They currently have 12 different "types" of diapers, so perhaps 6 could be available in winter/spring and the other 6 available in summer/fall. Also, that would allow 6 months to get the next batch(es) ready in case there are delays.

Does this make sense?

Why do you think you have insider knowledge of the way ABU operates?

This is clearly speculation rather than fact.

blob said:

Its not hard to see the run out of stock every couple of months, some diapers faster then others.
ABU's issue, as well as others that import is logistics, coordinating with the manufacturer, checking the batch quality before the batch is released, coordinating with the freighter company, having a shipping container dock slip, trucking, and customs, it all adds up to be a time killer.

I know Casey has definitely thought through many different ways of trying to improve this, but for the most part, how he has it set up now is the best way without paying a fortune (which I should remind you, the more a company has to pay for stuff like that, the more you pay for diapers). He's trying to make diapers as affordable as possible while still making somewhat of a profit.

blob said:

I don't have any insider knowledge about ABU. I'm just proposing an idea that may be helpful.

pampers4U said:
Its not hard to see the run out of stock every couple of months, some diapers faster then others.
ABU's issue, as well as others that import is logistics, coordinating with the manufacturer, checking the batch quality before the batch is released, coordinating with the freighter company, having a shipping container dock slip, trucking, and customs, it all adds up to be a time killer.
That's what I'm saying. Basically, having some diapers be sold during the first half of the year, and the ABU staff could do whatever they need to during that time to get the other ones ready (to sell during the second half of the year)

What gets me is their diapers that are almost always out of stock except for the first month or two they get a shipement in. You'd think they'd have figured out by now to order them further in advance. Yet it never fails they wait to reoder when their current stock is already beginning to run out.

sigh....

CrinklyConnor said:
Holy cow!! I read a chunk of posts on that... some of these people def have entitlement issues, how about this... just 10yrs ago we didn’t even have 3/4 of the options that we have today, I’m just happy to have something today, also having met Casey face to face, I can say he’s a pretty cool guy, and I believe him when he says him and his team are working on problems, he doesn’t like stock issues just like everyone else doesn’t like them, he could always raise prices to make the same profit thru slower sales but that’s not his way or in his dna, he’s a fair guy and a younger professional business man that actually cares, does this 24/7 and tries not to get burnt out

Reactions: babybobby
I also read a chunk of those comments. The vast majority are pointing out the always out of stock issue. That isn't entitlement on the customer, it's the failing of ABU. Casey points out they get several (meaning 3) containers per week, but they just sell out that fast. Well.... if 3 always sells out, then why aren't they ordering 4 or 5 containers per week??? It's simple supply and demand, and they aren't meeting the supply per the demand. And this has been going on for years, seemingly without getting much better for the end customer.

Like I pointed out before, Casey/ABU just needs to be ordering more diapers further in advance. Yeah this creats more overhead, but it also creats more sales and happier/loyal customers. Northshore had this figured out in their first few months, and you know ABU is suffering from their inability to follow suit. Reasoning and excuses aside they need to step up, even IF it is to appease one or two entitled customers.

Slomo said:
Like I pointed out before, Casey/ABU just needs to be ordering more diapers further in advance.
I bet Casey hasn't thought of that yet. Maybe they should hire you as a consultant.

• Haha
Reactions: babybobby and LittlestLilly
*takes notes*

Reactions: babybobby, ykdprdave, irnub and 2 others
Last edited:
The number one rule of business: you have to spend money to make money. It sounds to me that what they have is a scaling issue, in that the business and production has not grown with the demand. It’s clear the market and the money is out there, but the business needs to be scaled up more to keep up with it.

Yeah the "Rotating Stock" idea wouldn't work

People want what they want when they want it

All Rotating Stock would do is cause people to buy even more at one time; say PeekABU was in stock the 2nd half of the year

You already have people buying 5 cases at a time (so I have heard about anyways) they might not necessarily buy more at once, but the customers that normally buy 1/2 of a case or 1 case might then buy several cases, so they would still run out of stock

To me there are 2 ideas that could work without giving up any Models of Diapers or Sizes

1. Expand existing warehouses (or maybe make another one, perhaps near the Middle of the US? ) more space would allow them to stock more at once and have more customers at a time; I would expect that they are using up as much space as they can in their existing warehouses until stock is sold out and replaced with other stock

2. (Unlikely) become the Manufacturer to cut down on shipping time so they aren't waiting 1.5-2+ months just on shipping; dream idea but realistically would cost millions of dollars so not likely to happen; also would likely resort in higher prices due to wage differences and high Start-Up cost.

The easiest thing would be to have some money set aside while waiting on a restock though

That way as soon as they get stock in you buy it and dont have to be mad about stock being sold out.

I happened to buy a case of Large PeekABU (after they were out of stock for months) and a couple weeks later they were sold out again

The frustration at the lack of stock is natural. That said, unless we are in the biz, it is extremely unlikely we will have any useful advice for the people living with this day in and day out. If we have any faith they can walk and chew gum at the same time, it has to be a more complex solution than "buy sooner" or "buy more" or "buy on an artificial schedule".

These companies want to survive and thrive. It is not in their interest to restrict the flow of goods unnecessarily. ABU (and Tykables for that matter) don't just serve the community, they are a part of it. They hear our grumbling daily, in and out of work. I'm not saying we shouldn't be annoyed but I doubt there is much we can do to help from our respective cribs.

Reactions: LittlestLilly
Reactions: LittlestLilly and pampers4U
Another thing to consider, which was brought up in that reddit thread, is there are people who buy very large amounts at a given time, several cases, usually. Now, I get money’s money no matter who it’s coming from, but when you’re buying several cases or several dozen packs all at one, that’s a decent percentage of inventory all going to one place. Maybe for some of the items that’s harder to keep in stock, try and institute a cap as to how much of something you can buy in a given order.

Reactions: Honeywell6180
Back