Rearz Barnyard

On the rearz homepage, the ad for the barnyard says it has a new dimpled inner layer. It doesn’t say anything about what that means in the description and of course they don’t post photos of the features of the diapers. Anybody know what that means or has tried them and know what it is? Can anybody that have got some in verify what the wings are made out of (just plastic or stretchy like the magnifico?)

Several people have received in these diapers but I haven't seen any reviews / mini-reviews of them yet. My barnyard are due to arrive on Monday. If nobody's posted anything by then, Ill be sure to post some pics and a bit of a review.

Reactions: pampers4U
bambinod said:
Ill be sure to post some pics and a bit of a review.
I always enjoy your reviews, there honest and you provide great details and truthfulness

pampers4U said:
I always enjoy your reviews, there honest and you provide great details and truthfulness

Thank you! While it doesn't really take that much effort for me to do them, it's good to know that they're helpful and appreciated :)

Last edited:
Just plastic, the dimpled core isn’t like the peekaby

There is a video review on YouTube by K Huck. They are a wonderful couple that do reviews together.

OK picked them up today. They bear a great resemblance to Tykables Overnights/Galactic and Changing Times Bear Hugs, so I'm just going to go over the differences between Barnyard and those two.

same: shell material, tapes, tape panel, leak guards

Bear Hugs and Barnyard are more similar in size, they have the same shell length and width, whereas Overnights are a few inches shorter and narrower, so naturally they should fit a few inches smaller. Barnyard however has a narrower tape panel for some reason, so you lose a little in the waist there.

When I plugged in the numbers, here's what I got, vs what the packages claim:

Overnights: 36-48 claimed, 36-53 expected
Barnyard: 32-55 claimed, 37-52 expected
Bear Hugs: 36-46 claimed, 37-54 expected

Notice how my expected numbers are almost identical for all three, yet their claimed ranges vary wildly.... they're clearly going on different assumptions here. I take into account tape panel width, longer reach needed for lower tapes, minimum reasonable tape separation, and also tune slightly for overall length.

Overnights and Bear Hugs use virtually identical looking padding and top sheet, although Overnights for some reason weigh significantly less (6.2oz) than Barnyard and Bear Hugs, which are identical. (7.9oz) So I have to assume this directly affects SAP quantity and overall capacity.

Barnyard uses a distinctly different looking top sheet, with regular perforations probably intended to improve acquisition speed. They also feel slightly less compressed than the other two, possibly due to looser packing. Barnyard also packs 12 diapers per bag, Overnights and Bear Hugs pack 10.

By the case, including shipping to USA, Overnights are $2.00/pc, Bear Hugs are $3.30/pc, and Barnyard are $3.36/pc.

There are other minor differences, like how close the taping panel is to the top in front, (height is identical), the amount of plastic ribbing in the front/back, and the distance between the leg gather elastic and the edge of the shell. But overall these would be extremely difficult to tell apart blindfolded. Although difficult, you might notice the weight difference in the Overnight. The thicker padding in the Barnyard (or the dimpling in the top sheet) may be more obvious. Everything else is going to feel identical.

If I had to venture an opinion, I'd say the Bear Hugs are the best looking AB diaper, Overnights are the best looking DL diaper, and Im expecting Barnyard to have the best performance of the three.

Weird observation - "Rearz" appears on Barnyard in a stitched cursive font, backwards, so it's only going to look right in the mirror! Oh and I did notice one thing that's probably just coincidence - the artwork pattern on the bag is by some miracle almost perfectly aligned.

Also, almost forgot to add, Barnyard have the same perfume as is used on Little Monsters. I don't know if it's an old Pampers scent or what it is, but it's very noticeable. Overnights don't seem to have any added scent. Also worth noting, Overnights are the only one of the three with a distinct side panel design - Barnyard and Bear Hugs maintain the same pattern on the side as on the front/back. On one hand, this makes it easier to get a symmetrical job left-to-right with the tapes, but on the other hand I don't care for heavy repeating patterns on the other side of the border, like you see on Overnights, Little Paws, etc.

Attaching images...

Attachments

• aligned art.JPG
    aligned art.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 89
  • inside Barnyard.JPG
    inside Barnyard.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 100
  • inside Bear Hugs.JPG
    inside Bear Hugs.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 95
  • inside overights.JPG
    inside overights.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 97
  • three folded.JPG
    three folded.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 100
  • three opened.JPG
    three opened.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Reactions: pampers4U and Jonnythepony
Nice breakdown. I noticed the the bear hugz and Tykables have a oval pattern to the sap that the rearz doesn’t. If they are just like Tykables without the chemical smell these may be my new favorite diaper. I will have time to try them tonight or tomorrow morning can’t wait

So I just put one on. they are super thick and soft. So far really impressed, and will definitely be ordering a case. I love the hook and loop tapes. I still have a bunch of safari's, but they have the old tapes, so these would definitely top them. i know the website talks about putting a booster in here, but i am waddling without one.

Just crawled outa bed. I didn't have a terribly large amount to drink last night, but there's no mistake, these diapers have a huge amount of swell to them! The front is very swollen, thick, and firm, and despite how soaked I am I don't feel even slightly wet. (they must use some good SAP) I had around four major wettings overnight, and didn't even reach the padding in the back of the crotch, capacity is amazing. Make sure you tape these a little loose at bedtime to account for the swelling! (although the velcro makes adjustments easy)

The grass works as advertised, disappears almost completely when wet. (they don't stand out too well to begin with though so you might not notice when they disappear) Tapes are holding great, are easily adjustable, and hold fine when moved. They've got that small band of velcro, flanked by a generous area of adhesive, so they should keep the "diaper burrito" from unrolling when it's time to change. Fit overnight was very comfortable, padding is soft and flexible even when dry, (moreso than waddlers/bear hugs) and the large swell under the smooth plastic shell gives the wet part of the diaper the perfect feel. They also have a nice crinkle, wet or dry.

I really have nothing bad to say about their performance, they're great diapers!

What I would change: as mentioned earlier, they have that strong perfume first used on the Little Monsters - I don't care so much for that and could do without it personally. (though would probably help hide odors if you mess, which I don't) And the "barnyard" print isn't interesting to me at all. It's novel but not ugly, and it's a "lightweight" print as I like to say, with characters spread out on a white background, but it just doesn't "do" anything for me, if you know what I mean. Compared to say Crinklz with their super sharp detailed artwork, Little Rascals with their bold and fun characters, or Bear Hugs with their pastel sleeping bears, it just seems a bit boring. They went with a lighter pastel coloring, but didn't combine that with an AB-theme - if you're going to go with pastels, finish the job with a more AB theme. Or if you want to push the DL farm theme, make the colors bolder. Right now you're just sitting on the fence and not making a strong impression in either direction.

I need to re-test the Bear Hugs though, to see how they compare, particularly in the swell/capacity department. They look so similar, it just seems unlikely that they perform very differently. (although the dimpled padding definitely suggests there may be a difference) I might just not have given them enough wetting to work with for a proper judgement. I'll post a follow-up shortly. But there's no doubt they are better performers than Overnights.

dethpuck said:
i know the website talks about putting a booster in here, but i am waddling without one.

I really can't imagine a booster in these, they swell so much that even with the high (2") leak guards they'd still really crowding me out down there! I also can't imagine needing a booster, even for a very long sleep-in on a weekend.

Last edited:
bambinod said:
Just crawled outa bed. I didn't have a terribly large amount to drink last night, but there's no mistake, these diapers have a huge amount of swell to them! The front is very swollen, thick, and firm, and despite how soaked I am I don't feel even slightly wet. (they must use some good SAP) I had around four major wettings overnight, and didn't even reach the padding in the back of the crotch, capacity is amazing. Make sure you tape these a little loose at bedtime to account for the swelling! (although the velcro makes adjustments easy)

The grass works as advertised, disappears almost completely when wet. (they don't stand out too well to begin with though so you might not notice when they disappear) Tapes are holding great, are easily adjustable, and hold fine when moved. They've got that small band of velcro, flanked by a generous area of adhesive, so they should keep the "diaper burrito" from unrolling when it's time to change. Fit overnight was very comfortable, padding is soft and flexible even when dry, (moreso than waddlers/bear hugs) and the large swell under the smooth plastic shell gives the wet part of the diaper the perfect feel. They also have a nice crinkle, wet or dry.

I really have nothing bad to say about their performance, they're great diapers!

What I would change: as mentioned earlier, they have that strong perfume first used on the Little Monsters - I don't care so much for that and could do without it personally. (though would probably help hide odors if you mess, which I don't) And the "barnyard" print isn't interesting to me at all. It's novel but not ugly, and it's a "lightweight" print as I like to say, with characters spread out on a white background, but it just doesn't "do" anything for me, if you know what I mean. Compared to say Crinklz with their super sharp detailed artwork, Little Rascals with their bold and fun characters, or Bear Hugs with their pastel sleeping bears, it just seems a bit boring. They went with a lighter pastel coloring, but didn't combine that with an AB-theme - if you're going to go with pastels, finish the job with a more AB theme. Or if you want to push the DL farm theme, make the colors bolder. Right now you're just sitting on the fence and not making a strong impression in either direction.

I need to re-test the Bear Hugs though, to see how they compare, particularly in the swell/capacity department. They look so similar, it just seems unlikely that they perform very differently. (although the dimpled padding definitely suggests there may be a difference) I might just not have given them enough wetting to work with for a proper judgement. I'll post a follow-up shortly. But there's no doubt they are better performers than Overnights.

I really can't imagine a booster in these, they swell so much that even with the high (2") leak guards they'd still really crowding me out down there! I also can't imagine needing a booster, even for a very long sleep-in on a weekend.

I feel you on the print on these. I wouldn't mind if they put these tapes on all of their diapers. its just so superior in my opinion to all other tapes now.

dethpuck said:
I feel you on the print on these. I wouldn't mind if they put these tapes on all of their diapers. its just so superior in my opinion to all other tapes now.

I'm still on the fence with velcro for overnight diapers. I was initially concerned about them staying stuck down overnight. but I've only had a tape shift on me a few times. But I like to pre-tape my overnight diapers and pull them up, to insure a perfect and consistent fit, and you can't DO that with velcro. The uppers are fine, but the lower tapes get pulled sideways while pulling up the diaper, and velcro just has no tolerance for sheering force, and the velcro tapes will immediately twist and pop right off while I am pulling up the diaper. So I have to at least tape the lwoers after I'm pulled up. At least the tops are symmetrical to start with. But avoiding the material kinking when I'm trying to tape down the lowers is tricky.

So I think I prefer adhesive tapes overnight. It's not like I'm going to be moving them anyway. I just need them to be hassle-free at bedtime and reliable overnight. I also don't like the rough feel of the velcro tape panel. They've done a good job of making it not terrible feeling, but there's only so much you can do with it. I'll take a soft all-plastic front like on confidry or betterdry any day. (and o be fair, hard taping panels like on paws or safari can be just as rough on the wrists, especially if they get creases in them) Of course during the day under clothes, smooth plastic or hard velcro doesn't matter, so I'm fine with Little Builders for daywear. Those don't need to be pre-taped, and rough panels or sharp tape edge s won't ever be touched.

I also prefer smooth plastic on the front (rather than a dull velcro panel) when I'm at home in my usual diaper/socks/tshirt dress-code, with diaper fully exposed.

Last edited:
bambinod said:
same: shell material, tapes, tape panel, leak guards

The tykables and bear hugz shell is not the same. I have both in my hands now. Bear hugs has a smoother and slightly thinner plastic, while tykables has a little bit of a texture to their plastic and a little thicker. So which one is the barnyard like?

MaxiPad89 said:
To be fair, I don't think many people are going to leak even in a 5,000 ml diaper,
People like me who are incontinent need to drink a lot of fluids to keep odor down. Trust me, we use the capacity.

Reactions: Jonnythepony
i want these so bad but for some reason even though im in canada i still gotta pay $20 shipping fees on top of a $50 pack

need To exceed the minimum purchase amount in order to avoid shipping fees

tomviper000 said:
The tykables and bear hugz shell is not the same. I have both in my hands now. Bear hugs has a smoother and slightly thinner plastic, while tykables has a little bit of a texture to their plastic and a little thicker. So which one is the barnyard like?

I pulled those three back out and compared again, they are VERY similar. Now I don't have a Galactic to try, it may be different than the waddler overnight I have here, it's been awhile since I had any Galactic on-hand and I don't have much info on them handy.

Doing a little closer comparison...
- barnyard have a slight perfume to them, overnights and bear hugs have no scent added
- the thickness of the plastic shells are hard to compare as they are all fairly thin. overnights seems to be thinner, but bear hugs and barnyard are about a toss-up. part of the problem is the underlying padding (which IS different) makes them hard to compare. I compared by feeling the edge of the diaper where it occasionally extends a few mm out past the padding that's under it
- I'm also noticing a slight difference in the waist elastic on the barnyard, it's just a little more coarse and not quite pulled in as far as on the other two, and the pleating is a little longer
- the tape panel is about 1/2" closer to the end of the diaper than on the other two

But I think as far as feel goes, you're really going to be splitting hairs trying to compare barnyard and bear hugs in a blind test. For all practical purposes, it's the same diaper. (though I haven't had a chance to closely compare capacity and swell)

dethpuck said:

Could you give me some pointers on the Velcro tapes? Every time I try a hook and loop diaper, they don't seem to hold well. So far I'm pretty impressed with the Barnyard, performance wise, but the tapes keep popping off with movement, etc.. I finally used diaper pins on the lowers to hold them in place. What am I missing here? What am I doing wrong?

Sometimes if you give the tapes a little tug it set the hooks. I haven’t had any problems with the tapes on any hook/loop diapers. I’m really starting to like having them so I can adjust or use the potty for a #2.

dethpuck said:
Sometimes if you give the tapes a little tug it set the hooks. I haven’t had any problems with the tapes on any hook/loop diapers. I’m really starting to like having them so I can adjust or use the potty for a #2.
Please use your Rearz Barnyard diaper for #2, thanks.

Back