Summary Data for Advanced Diaper Reviews (April 2020)

This is impressive stuff. I’m very curious to see how the “medical” diapers fare in these tests. I’m especially interested to see how the Tena Slips perform because high SAP ratios seen to fare well in the saline tests (and we all know how Tena Slips swell). Also I’d love to see what your thoughts are regarding the Seni Quatros.

Reactions: Mattswet
Side sleepers require plastic pants to keep bed dry.

Reactions: Fascinating
fastchange said:
Side sleepers require plastic pants to keep bed dry.
Putting a small towel or even a washcloth inside the plastic pants and under your hip helps, too

Fruitkitty said:
Methodology:

Nearly all ABDL diapers available in the United States in size medium in January 2018 for ~$3.50/diaper or less were purchased to create a panel for testing under the new ADISC testing protocol. Diapers that differed in print but were otherwise the same diaper were treated as the same diaper for the purposes of generating capacity test data. For one diaper that was backordered (ABU Preschool), a stock on hand was used in testing.

Price per diaper was determined based on the lowest price inclusive of shipping I could find on a given diaper at the end of January 2018. For most diapers, this means price was based on buying 1 case. For several diapers sold only in single packs, this means prices was based on buying 1 pack. For one diaper, DC Idyl 2017, this meant price was based on buying one quad-case. For comparisons which involve price, diapers which were grouped as one diaper for capacity because they differed only in print were further subdivided in the cases of Rearz and ABU products for which different prints have different price points.

Results:

294-1-SideBySideResults.png

Capacity Testing Results for H2O Test and Saline Test (Error Bars are SD)

The results show that Thrust Vector Crinklz is clearly on a tier of its own in both tests. Most other diapers are closer to each other than they are to Crinklz, but a loose next tier would include Tykables Overnights, ABU LittlePawz/Space/Simple, Rearz Safari/Princess/Seduction/InspirePlus, and ABU BareBum.

294-2-mLSalineVsmLH2O.png

Correlation Between H2O and Saline Test Results

294-3-DryMassCorrelation.png

Correlations Between Dry Mass and H2O Test Results but not Saline Test Results

Noticeably, ABU BareBum improves significantly test and Thrust Vector Crinklz pulls further away from the pack on the saline test relative to the H2O test. While the overall correlation between the two tests is fairly strong, thinner "SAP-heavy" diapers seem to do better with the newer test. Along these lines, there is a weak but significant correlation between dry mass and H2O test result, but not between dry mass and saline test result, which is in line with the idea that SAP, which is lighter than wood pulp, helps a diaper overperform its H2O result.

294-4-HalfFloodsPerDollar.png

Price per "Half-Flood" (Error Bars are SD)

Being both a relatively cheap diaper as currently purchased through NorthShoreCare and the clear highest capacity diaper already, Thrust Vector Crinklz easily wins out as the best deal in ABDL diapers. Other top cost-efficient diapers include ABU BareBum which performs on par with other top ABU products at a lower price point, Tykables Overnight which is an excellent all-around choice, and ABU Simple, which with no print is priced cheaper than ABU LittlePawz/Space.

Broadly speaking, most diapers fall into a narrower capacity range than the difference in across the field in pricing. Nearly every diaper available for ~$2/diaper or less is in the top half.

294-5-NoPriceCorrelation.png

No Apparent Correlation Between Price and Capacity

As of this writing in early 2018, there does not appear to be any correlation at all between price and capacity test result. There are several different factors at play which seem to lead to this result. First, newer manufacturers are in several cases selling diapers with mediocre testing results in only in single packs, which have a higher price per diaper. Second, the diaper that breaks the curve in capacity testing is also one of the cheapest. Third, even among more established manufacturers like ABU and Bambino, their best products are not their most expensive. Fourth, several manufacturers sell the same underlying diapers at different price points but with different prints.

The net result is fairly dramatic, in that it appears that there's very little connection currently between price and performance. This strikes me as a very validating result for the project of testing diapers, as it demonstrates clear value in performing independent testing rather than relying on market signals to assess ABDL diapers.
WOW!!!
I did not expect such a impressive analysis. I skimmed through it and plan to read it carefully when I have a few minutes. I was gratified to see the Rearz Princess so highly rated. My sample should be here Friday. This is the type of analysis I would see during my MBA program. Impressive group of people here.

Gotta love cold hard data! Excellent work by all involved.

Thank you for all the great information. As an active, urinary incontinent adult, I have found it difficult to find the right combination for every situation. The information here really helps. The mainstream continence forums are focused on cures. Those of us who don't have that option need the focused help that this forum provides.

I have been using Abena L4s and M4s along with Confidry Mediums and Depends Real Fit L/XL with Garywear PUL briefs over any of these products. All of them have their strengths and weakness. I have gradually moved to the L4's from M4's and am now trying the Better Dry Large and Confidry Large. What I have observed is that the slightly larger products give me a more comfortable fit, don't chafe as much and resist leaking better than the very snug fit M4's. The medium Confidry products are larger than the M4's but are still a slightly snug fit. I will post my non-scientific observations after using a few bags of the Better Dry and Large Confidry diapers.

Thanks again for the support and information.

wow

lol, i realy feel this info is acurate, i had a "testing" a while back, found thrust vector did it right, in absorbancy, feel, comfort, discreteness, and a cute factor to boot, prints done by a legit artist btw

Excellent use of SPSS (I assume, although there are other statistical software packages). Next step might be effect size with Cohen's d??? Nice job, possible doctoral dissertation?? Been there and done that.

Gotta have to give you a ton of Kudos for all the professinal-level work on diaper-reviewing and gathering/processing data. That is a really epic contribution over all these years. I tap my hat good Sir!

Cheers

Frungie said:
Excellent use of SPSS (I assume, although there are other statistical software packages). Next step might be effect size with Cohen's d??? Nice job, possible doctoral dissertation?? Been there and done that.

huh? Crohn's Disease ?

Dartplayerinwvc said:
huh? Crohn's Disease ?
No, Cohen's d is an effect size used to indicate the standardized difference between two statistical means (an average). An effect size is how large an effect of something is. For example medication A has a better effect than medication B. d= 0.2 is a small effect size, 0.5 is medium, and 0.8 is large. This means that if the two medications' statistical means (average effects) don't differ by 0.2 standard deviations or more, the difference is trivial, even if it is statistically significant.

Thanks - With all the typos or Baby talk on here it's hard to tell at times

Fruitkitty said:
Methodology:

Nearly all ABDL diapers and several medical diapers from premium brands commonly available in the United States in size medium in January 2020 for no more than ~$3.50/diaper were purchased at various points over the previous 2 years to create and further build a panel for testing under the newer, "advanced" ADISC testing protocol. Diapers which are no longer available have been excluded. In rare cases where major changes to a given diaper are known, they have been retested, but one caveat is that if unreported run-to-run changes have been made, the particular test may not perfectly reflect the current product. Diapers that differ in print but are otherwise the same diaper are treated as the same diaper for the purposes of generating capacity test data.

Price per diaper was determined based on the lowest price inclusive of shipping I could find on a given diaper at the end of February 2020. For most diapers, this means price was based on buying 1 case. In rare cases where several diapers were only available in single packs (FAB SENSE City Print, AwwSoCute), this means prices was based on buying 1 pack; this situation has become rarer with time as such products have typically either failed or have scaled up to sale at the case size. For DC products (DC Idyl 2017, DC Amor 2018), this meant price was based on buying one quad-case. For comparisons which involve price, diapers which were grouped as one diaper for capacity because they differed only in print were further subdivided when products with different prints have different price points – for some but not all diapers with multiple prints, solid color versions typically are sold at lower price points than those with prints.

Results:

298-1-H2OTest.png

298-2-SalineTest.png

Since the original publishing in 2018, the top tier Thrust Vector Crinklz/BetterDry has been joined by ABU PeekABU and ABU DinoRawrz. Many of the new products released in the past 2 years have filled out the middle between the previous 2nd tier of products; Tykables Overnights/Little Rawrz/Puppers/Unicorns which is an improvement from previous versions of the Overnight leads this tier 1.5.

298-3-SalineVsH2O.png

In general, new products of the past few years have consistently improved capacity over what was common 5 years ago, and have increasingly shifted towards hook-and-loop tapes. Where there is some divergence between the H2O and the (more realistic) saline test is that thinner, higher-SAP diapers and new hook-and-loop diapers tend to outperform in the H2O test. SAP absorbs pure H2O better than saline and this test more dramatically expands a diaper, so this test can be viewed as a sort of stress test for other physical elements of a diaper’s design. Hook-and-loop tapes notably tend to grip far better and do not slip during these tests, so I anecdotally speculate that mechanistically their out-performance results from being able to maintain a tighter leg seal as the diaper expands.

It is typical among high-capacity adhesive tape diapers to underperform on the H2O test relative to how they perform on the more important saline test. Nonetheless, the overall success seen consistently by several brands over most previous products by this wave of hook-and-loop diapers suggests that this is a helpful feature in both tests.

298-4-DryMassCorrelation.png

Correlations Between Dry Mass Test Results

The dry mass of diapers correlates with capacity overall in both tests but there is a large spread. You cannot generally guess how a diaper will perform based on how heavy/bulky it seems; many other factors confound the issue of predicting performance.

298-5-HalfFloodsPerDollar.png

Medical diapers are generally good deals relative to capacity spread across a wide range of capacities. Crinklz remains the standout ABDL printed diaper, but has seen price increases since it became widely available in the US in late 2017 and the gap has been narrowing. The best deals in ABDL diapers include Crinklz, ABU BareBum, ABU DinoRawrz, and Tykables/GetNappied PlayDayz – not necessarily the highest pure capacity products, but instead a variety of different capacities which are disproportionately effective for other reasons.

Broadly speaking, most diapers fall into a narrower capacity range than the difference in across the field in pricing. Nearly every diaper available for ~$2/diaper or less is in the top half.

298-6-LowPriceCorrelation.png

Low Correlation Between Price and Capacity

As of this writing in April 2020, the correlation between price and capacity is weak and not statistically significant by typical standards. Diapers are priced on more than factors than just capacity; some lower capacity products are very efficient and some higher price products have been disappointing due to design flaws. Most ABDL manufacturers do not sell their products in consistent proportion to capacity, and in several cases unprinted versions of the same diaper are available at a lower price.
In general, you can expect to pay extra for complex prints. Larger cases sizes tend to result in more efficient prices relative to capacity. Current higher-end new flagship products have generally scored well on this measure because the most recent round of improvements to capacity and tapes has been effective.
Oh my gawd ! I love how this diaper review could be published in a peer reviewed journal !!

Fruitkitty said:
Methodology:

Nearly all ABDL diapers and several medical diapers from premium brands commonly available in the United States in size medium in January 2020 for no more than ~$3.50/diaper were purchased at various points over the previous 2 years to create and further build a panel for testing under the newer, "advanced" ADISC testing protocol. Diapers which are no longer available have been excluded. In rare cases where major changes to a given diaper are known, they have been retested, but one caveat is that if unreported run-to-run changes have been made, the particular test may not perfectly reflect the current product. Diapers that differ in print but are otherwise the same diaper are treated as the same diaper for the purposes of generating capacity test data.

Price per diaper was determined based on the lowest price inclusive of shipping I could find on a given diaper at the end of February 2020. For most diapers, this means price was based on buying 1 case. In rare cases where several diapers were only available in single packs (FAB SENSE City Print, AwwSoCute), this means prices was based on buying 1 pack; this situation has become rarer with time as such products have typically either failed or have scaled up to sale at the case size. For DC products (DC Idyl 2017, DC Amor 2018), this meant price was based on buying one quad-case. For comparisons which involve price, diapers which were grouped as one diaper for capacity because they differed only in print were further subdivided when products with different prints have different price points – for some but not all diapers with multiple prints, solid color versions typically are sold at lower price points than those with prints.

Results:

298-1-H2OTest.png

298-2-SalineTest.png

Since the original publishing in 2018, the top tier Thrust Vector Crinklz/BetterDry has been joined by ABU PeekABU and ABU DinoRawrz. Many of the new products released in the past 2 years have filled out the middle between the previous 2nd tier of products; Tykables Overnights/Little Rawrz/Puppers/Unicorns which is an improvement from previous versions of the Overnight leads this tier 1.5.

298-3-SalineVsH2O.png

In general, new products of the past few years have consistently improved capacity over what was common 5 years ago, and have increasingly shifted towards hook-and-loop tapes. Where there is some divergence between the H2O and the (more realistic) saline test is that thinner, higher-SAP diapers and new hook-and-loop diapers tend to outperform in the H2O test. SAP absorbs pure H2O better than saline and this test more dramatically expands a diaper, so this test can be viewed as a sort of stress test for other physical elements of a diaper’s design. Hook-and-loop tapes notably tend to grip far better and do not slip during these tests, so I anecdotally speculate that mechanistically their out-performance results from being able to maintain a tighter leg seal as the diaper expands.

It is typical among high-capacity adhesive tape diapers to underperform on the H2O test relative to how they perform on the more important saline test. Nonetheless, the overall success seen consistently by several brands over most previous products by this wave of hook-and-loop diapers suggests that this is a helpful feature in both tests.

298-4-DryMassCorrelation.png

Correlations Between Dry Mass Test Results

The dry mass of diapers correlates with capacity overall in both tests but there is a large spread. You cannot generally guess how a diaper will perform based on how heavy/bulky it seems; many other factors confound the issue of predicting performance.

298-5-HalfFloodsPerDollar.png

Medical diapers are generally good deals relative to capacity spread across a wide range of capacities. Crinklz remains the standout ABDL printed diaper, but has seen price increases since it became widely available in the US in late 2017 and the gap has been narrowing. The best deals in ABDL diapers include Crinklz, ABU BareBum, ABU DinoRawrz, and Tykables/GetNappied PlayDayz – not necessarily the highest pure capacity products, but instead a variety of different capacities which are disproportionately effective for other reasons.

298-6-LowPriceCorrelation.png

Low Correlation Between Price and Capacity

As of this writing in April 2020, the correlation between price and capacity is weak and not statistically significant by typical standards. Diapers are priced on more than factors than just capacity; some lower capacity products are very efficient and some higher price products have been disappointing due to design flaws. Most ABDL manufacturers do not sell their products in consistent proportion to capacity, and in several cases unprinted versions of the same diaper are available at a lower price.
In general, you can expect to pay extra for complex prints. Larger cases sizes tend to result in more efficient prices relative to capacity. Current higher-end new flagship products have generally scored well on this measure because the most recent round of improvements to capacity and tapes has been effective.
All this said what is your best go to diaper today that you use the most often? Wow it must of taken a while to compound all that info some real data for all of us thank you.

DocBrown said:
Putting a small towel or even a washcloth inside the plastic pants and under your hip helps, too
I have used booster pads on the side. I forgot the brand I had at the time because I did it as a experiment. I think it was a Seni brand boosters and I know it was a mega max . But they was real long pads so it added a couple of layers in the front too. I felt gross before it leaked but that me. It made a huge difference on my side but it was just to see because I learned a long time ago to sleep on my back.

I've noticed that some of the data entries don't have an accompanying review, is there somewhere else the reviews can be found? I noticed this while looking for a review on Rearz Barnyard.

Last edited:
your test and reviews have saved me lots of money, from when I began having to rely on diapers.
betterdry is a very well made and high capacity diaper. Only downside is the enormous bulk in the front when it gets wet.
a tip I learned is to add a cloth booster in the disposable. Cloth is superior in wicking wetness, and the disposable can then last way longer before leaking.
that’s on way of cutting costs from disposable products.

Slomo said:
Yeah, I've tried them ALL! The ONLY disposable I have found which works for side sleepers is Betterdry/Crinklz. Confidry 24/7 comes close, and will also work- but only with a baby diaper booster cupped over your penis. Northshore Supreme comes in third, but starts out too compressed to work good right off the bat.

After that, you're looking at really thick reusable cloth diapers. I've tried them too, but found after a while the added thickness caused a number of problems in my hip alignment (even with a memory foam mattress).

One other remote possibility is to get a reclining bed. While I normally can't fall asleep on my back, I have found that when slightly reclined I CAN fall asleep on my back (though that may just be from my too many, and tiring hospital stays). Short of that, catheters and a bag always works, but at a bit of a trade off for overall comfort.
Try adding a folded terry bath towel to your cloth diaper. Terry bath towels absorb extremely rapidly and can hold large volumes. I fold the towel in thirds to a rectangle and then fold the bottom of that rectangle to its middle and then bring the top over that fold to its bottom. Then place it on my cloth diaper and when the diaper and folded towel are brought up between my legs and up to my stomach I unfold the back and front while keeping the portion in the crotch folded forming a “V” in the front and back. This “V” is very effective at capturing urine before it can escape to your thighs. The terry towel then wicks to the diaper making it ready to absorb another wetting. This night system has kept the bed of this side sleeper consistently dry (as long as I don’t lay around half the day until I’m so soaked leaks are inevitable). By the way this makes for quite a bit of bulk between my legs, but that hasn’t been a problem for me as I sleep with a pillow between my knees to prevent lower back pain. Another factor is that I need to wear plastic pants with a minimum of a 10” wide crotch, preferably 12”.

Back