Hyponatremia

freechris

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
So I have seen a few ABDL sources out there that recommend drinking a lot of water to enhance the wearing experience. While I've taken advantage of that, myself, I want to point out a concern. Accordingly, to research, the kidneys are able to process only up to one liter of water per hour; anything more than that can cause you to develop a condition called hyponatremia, which is the medical term for "too little sodium", which can potentially be fatal.
I'm not saying to completely stop what you do, but just make sure you keep track with how much water you drink in a given time period. I usually drink a liter of water and then set my timer for an hour before drinking any more.

Reactions: CaterpillarSick
This is always good advise to those of us who like to wet our diapers. It has been brought before, but it's something that needs to be repeated so no one gets sick.

Reactions: CaterpillarSick
freechris said:
So I have seen a few ABDL sources out there that recommend drinking a lot of water to enhance the wearing experience. While I've taken advantage of that, myself, I want to point out a concern. Accordingly, to research, the kidneys are able to process only up to one liter of water per hour; anything more than that can cause you to develop a condition called hyponatremia, which is the medical term for "too little sodium", which can potentially be fatal.
I'm not saying to completely stop what you do, but just make sure you keep track with how much water you drink in a given time period. I usually drink a liter of water and then set my timer for an hour before drinking any more.

You are right, drinking too much water (or beer :)) can be dangerous. But 1 liter per hour is still A LOT. The capacity of your kidneys to excrete water is more like 0.5 liter per hour (that is: in healthy kidneys). People have died or become seriously ill from drinking more than 10 litres. Be careful.

freechris said:

Nobody said to drink 50 liters a day, otherwise you may have problems, as usual you have to be reasonable about the quantities.

Staying hydrated is definitely a good way to wet your diaper, as others have said though, no one is endorsing water intoxication or drinking enough to cause hyponatremia.

I usually drink about 3 bottles a water a day regularly, and staggered too; one in the morning, one in the afternoon, one in the evening. When I regress, I maybe have a single bottle of water before taping up, afterwards it's a warm baba before nap time and another before bed :)

Drinking a bottle of water or two isn't going to upset anything and neither is drinking reasonable amounts of other milder liquids, like milk. Staying hydrated also means spacing out what you drink ;)

It's a good PSA and reminder, but anyone who takes the advice stay hydrated as carte blanche to drink a gallon of water in under an hour is doing it wrong :cautious:

Poofybutt said:
Staying hydrated is definitely a good way to wet your diaper, as others have said though, no one is endorsing water intoxication or drinking enough to cause hyponatremia.

I usually drink about 3 bottles a water a day regularly, and staggered too; one in the morning, one in the afternoon, one in the evening. When I regress, I maybe have a single bottle of water before taping up, afterwards it's a warm baba before nap time and another before bed :)

Drinking a bottle of water or two isn't going to upset anything and neither is drinking reasonable amounts of other milder liquids, like milk. Staying hydrated also means spacing out what you drink ;)

It's a good PSA and reminder, but anyone who takes the advice stay hydrated as carte blanche to drink a gallon of water in under an hour is doing it wrong :cautious:

3 * 1.5 liters seems to me a lot, do not forget the liquids bring otherwise, you asked your doctor if it was a good idea? You know that the kidneys is something fragile so avoid using them.

trysexiea said:
3 * 1.5 liters seems to me a lot, do not forget the liquids bring otherwise, you asked your doctor if it was a good idea? You know that the kidneys is something fragile so avoid using them.

Three bottles of water is 1.5 litres (500 ml x 3) spread out over a day and it is completely healthy.

Most physicians and doctors will tell you that the average amount of water you should drink in a day is around 2 litres, spread out of course, that's what my family doctor told me. I'm also sure you've heard of the 8 x 8 rule, drinking 8 eight-ounce glasses of water a day, which equals roughly 2 litres, that's the general rule of thumb for the ideal intake ;)

Sometimes your water intake can be higher too, say if you are working out or running marathons, in that case you are often sweating out more than you are retaining.

I know kidneys are important, but water cleans them out and helps them to filter better, besides water is a lot healthier than coca-cola, soft drinks and beer, if you drink litres of those a day then your kidneys might be in trouble, keeping within the healthy limit of water intake in a day means healthy kidneys :)

Last edited:
Poofybutt said:
Three bottles of water is 1.5 litres (500 ml x 3) spread out over a day and it is completely healthy.

Most physicians and doctors will tell you that the average amount of water you should drink in a day is around 2 litres, spread out of course. I'm sure you've heard of the 8 x 8 rule, drinking 8 eight-ounce glasses of water a day, which equals roughly 2 litres, that's the ideal intake ;)

Sometimes your water intake can be higher too, say if you are working out or running marathons, in that case you are often sweating out more than you are retaining.

I know kidneys are important, but water cleans them out and helps them to filter better, besides water is a lot healthier than coca-cola, soft drinks and beer, if you drink litres of those a day then your kidneys might be in trouble, keeping within the healthy limit of water intake in a day means healthy kidneys :)

you realize that it is more than twice the recommended average per day, it seems to me a lot. I know it's water, but even water requires work to be filtered.

trysexiea said:
you realize that it is more than twice the recommended average per day, it seems to me a lot. I know it's water, but even water requires work to be filtered.

No it really isn't. Suggested water intake may vary a bit depending on who you ask and other factors, but the average that is recommended is 2 litres a day. Three 500 ml bottles consumed in the span of a day, spread out, is less than the recommended intake of 2 litres and you can be slightly over and under without it impacting your health at all. It is when you push well past a gallon in a short span of time that you could encounter complications.

I'm sure you wouldn't argue with my Family Doctor and I wouldn't argue with your own. Yes it's good to be mindful of your intake, but my intake is perfectly healthy :)

I appreciate the concern, but it is unnecessary. Stick to the 8 x 8 rule and aim for 2 litres a day or just slightly under, that's usually what doctors will suggest.

Last edited:
Poofybutt said:
No it really isn't. Suggested water intake may vary a bit depending on who you ask and other factors, but the average that is recommended is 2 litres a day. Three 500 ml bottles consumed in the span of a day, spread out, is less than the recommended intake of 2 litres and you can be slightly over and under without it impacting your health at all. It is when you push well past a gallon in a short span of time that you could encounter complications.

I'm sure you wouldn't argue with my Family Doctor and I wouldn't argue with your own. Yes it's good to be mindful of your intake, but my intake is perfectly healthy :)

I appreciate the concern, but it is unnecessary. Stick to the 8 x 8 rule and aim for 2 litres a day or just slightly under, that's usually what doctors will suggest.

Ok, you do what you want with your health, the idea is just to prevent others from taking it as advice, not everyone will react the same, and generally you do not see the result right now

trysexiea said:
Ok, you do what you want with your health, the idea is just to prevent others from taking it as advice, not everyone will react the same, and generally you do not see the result right now

Sigh, this is getting old :cautious:

Nothing I said should be raising any red flags for you or making you talk like an after-school special. I also find it curious that you are the only one complaining. Nothing I have said conflicts with what anyone else has quoted or said here either.

2 litres (Actually it's closer to 1.5 litres) of water in a day; 500 ml in the morning, 500 ml in the afternoon, 500 ml in the evening with often 3-5 hours between them is completely healthy and normal, period!

Consult this article and then tell me I'm off base:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-...nd-healthy-eating/in-depth/water/art-20044256

In-case you don't, it lists the adequate daily fluid intake for men is 3.7 litres (I consume far less than that factoring in both water and other fluids) and for women it is 2.7 litres a day. It also references the 8 x 8 rule and says it's a good mark to try and hit in a day.

I probably consume between 1.5 litres to 2.5 litres of fluids a day, not all at once or multiple times a day, but in a single day.

And please don't make it sound as though I am misleading others and advising them poorly :(

I never suggested anything of the sort. I plainly laid out my routine and how much water I drink in a day, nothing more.

Last edited:
Poofybutt said:
Sigh, this is getting old :cautious:

Nothing I said should be raising any red flags for you or making you talk like an after-school special. I also find it curious that you are the only one complaining. Nothing I have said conflicts with what anyone else has quoted or said here either.

2 litres (Actually it's closer to 1.5 litres) of water in a day; 500 ml in the morning, 500 ml in the afternoon, 500 ml in the evening with often 3-5 hours between them is completely healthy and normal, period!

Consult this article and then tell me I'm off base:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-...nd-healthy-eating/in-depth/water/art-20044256

In-case you don't, it lists the adequate daily fluid intake for men is 3.7 litres (I consume far less than that factoring in both water and other fluids) and for women it is 2.7 litres a day. It also references the 8 x 8 rule and says it's a good mark to try and hit in a day.

I probably consume between 1.5 litres to 2.5 litres of fluids a day, not all at once or multiple times a day, but in a single day.

And please don't make it sound as though I am misleading others and advising them poorly :(

I never suggested anything of the sort. I plainly laid out my routine and how much water I drink in a day, nothing more.

It's bottles of 500 ml is different then, the standard format of the bottles is 1.5 L (1500 ml) you will notice that higher up I ask you if it was 3 * 1.5L, you do not do not have clearly contradicts, 3 * 1.5L = 4.5L.

Poofybutt said:

Ok I did not understand it in this way, I do not know why.

trysexiea said:
It's bottles of 500 ml is different then, the standard format of the bottles is 1.5 L (1500 ml) you will notice that higher up I ask you if it was 3 * 1.5L, you do not do not have clearly contradicts, 3 * 1.5L = 4.5L.

Ok I did not understand it in this way, I do not know why.

It's all good my friend, I just noticed now that you are from France, so after a while, I figured it may have been miscommunication or misinterpretation :)

I am unfamiliar with how things are portioned out in France, but our water bottles in Canada are 500 mls per bottle and I usually drink 3 of those in a day, so 3 x 500 ml, not the equation you said :)

So yeah, no worries all good :) I didn't mean to get blunt in my last reply, but it was aggravating when I wasn't doing anything unhealthy and I was providing proof to back it up, but I was being responded to like I was way off base :LOL:

Once again, no worries, I thought I clarified things well, but obviously there was still a bit of a barrier.

As a side note, I actually know some French, admittedly though it is a bit rusty, but being around some friends from Montreal, Quebec, lately, I'm getting better at it ;)

Poofybutt said:
It's all good my friend, I just noticed now that you are from France, so after a while, I figured it may have been miscommunication or misinterpretation :)

I am unfamiliar with how things are portioned out in France, but our water bottles in Canada are 500 mls per bottle and I usually drink 3 of those in a day, so 3 x 500 ml, not the equation you said :)

So yeah, no worries all good :) I didn't mean to get blunt in my last reply, but it was aggravating when I wasn't doing anything unhealthy and I was providing proof to back it up, but I was being responded to like I was way off base :LOL:

Once again, no worries, I thought I clarified things well, but obviously there was still a bit of a barrier.

As a side note, I actually know some French, admittedly though it is a bit rusty, but being around some friends from Montreal, Quebec, lately, I'm getting better at it ;)

No problem, yes France, actually the most standard bottles in France make 1.5L there are smaller bottles, but more expensive per liter, so the 1.5L remains the norm

French is not especially a stretch I'm proud of, it's not really a very useful language outside France, it's not Useful to talk with business partners, it's not useful to talk here xD, so it's a little useless.

trysexiea said:
No problem, yes France, actually the most standard bottles in France make 1.5L there are smaller bottles, but more expensive per liter, so the 1.5L remains the norm

French is not especially a stretch I'm proud of, it's not really a very useful language outside France, it's not Useful to talk with business partners, it's not useful to talk here xD, so it's a little useless.

But seventy nine, four twenties...
Can't beat it. Its one of the reason I like the French language so much.

Drinking water good. Drinking so much your cause an electrolyte imbalance, not so much. Still, dehydration is often time worse than too much hydration, as it in itself will cause kidney and organ damage as well.

Azie said:
But seventy nine, four twenties...
Can't beat it. Its one of the reason I like the French language so much.

Drinking water good. Drinking so much your cause an electrolyte imbalance, not so much. Still, dehydration is often time worse than too much hydration, as it in itself will cause kidney and organ damage as well.

I prefer " nonante " or "Ninety" Haha

Haha yea i guess "a bottle" can be very ambigous as a unit... do people from non metric countries like the US even use liters or do they use gallons or something like it? (I inevitable have to think about the DieHard scene here where Bruce Willis & Samuel L. Jackson have to play aroaund with varing sized bottles measured in x gallons)

I would also refer to the 1.5 liter variant as a bottle, while the 0.5 would be a small bottle. Usually you wouldnt buy the small ones for home usage, they are dominantly used for travel or by snackbars/hotdog stands and such.

Back on topic...
During winter i usually drink 2 of those 1.5 liter water bottles a day (= 3 Liters), during summer time this may double up to 6 liters. (Those numbers are based on my observed weekly requirement to buy them)
And no starting to wear hasnt changed this. As i dont feel the need to force myself to pee whithin a certain timeframe... i just let it come naturally whenever that may be and wear the diaper till its full... its that simple, sooner or later it will come, no need to worry or force it, just relax :)
In fact, for me that behavior would even partially defeat the purpose of wearing, i mean not having to think about "when you have to go" is a vital part of the fun for me.

About that Hyponatremia topic... sure when im really thirsty i can easily drink more than that quoted liter whithin an hour, but its unlikley that i continue drinking that much in subsequent hours. Even my high summertime statement will equate to an average of only 0.25 liter per hour of such a high demanding day, and most of it probably gets sweated out rater than beeing channeld throu the kidneys getting out as pee.
The individual bodysize will likley also a matter (increasing/decreasing those general numbers recomended for average humans) and how much of the stuff you wash out with an overdose of water is balanced out by what youre eating.
In the end i suspect you actually have to literally torture yourself to drink soooo much more above your natural thirst over a long period of time that you will be able to reach Hyponatremia.

In a normal person it takes a ton of water consumption to induce hyponatremia. Now if you couple it with a lot of sweating or whatever, you may have issues (it's not uncommon in marathon runners).

Last edited:
What works best for me to go often is 2x 10 oz.. coffee in the morning. Every 30 minutes I drink 4oz. Thru out the day. Has me wetting everytime new water touches my lips.

Back