light sleeper

tafkadl

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I occasionally do wake up from the urge to pee. I know I can't make it to the bathroom in time and deliberately use the diaper. I do feel guilty about this.
My spouse is a light sleeper and is sometimes laying awake in bed. I wonder if she would notice the difference when I wet while I'm sleeping or while I'm awake.
She only tolerates my diapers as there is a medical need and it keeps the bed dry. As she also knows I'm a DL, I'm not going to ask her.
Any similar experiences?

Reactions: DiaperedNightly
One time I was sleeping with my SO and I woke up knowing I was about to wet my diaper so I just did it and went back to sleep. I don't think doing that was in any way offensive or wrong. If I woke up and knew I could get to the bathroom of course I would so I would say you shouldn't feel guilty as you knew you wouldn't make it to the bathroom.

Don't really need a diaper at night save for OAB and possible bowel leakage, so when I wet it's while I'm awake... thing is... while I'm in bed, finding a posisition I can easily get back to sleep is hard, so I move to get up to pee generally involves 15-45 minutes of repositioning or at it's worst, up to 6 hours

Oh yeah. I used to wake up several times in the night needing to pee. My wife actually preferred I use my diaper, as did I. If I tried getting up then I would almost certainly wake her. Plus, it would take me 30-60 minutes to fall back asleep as well. We'd both be exhausted in the morning, versus me waking up wet and rested.

My wife would rather I just wet my nappy than get up and wake her. My bedwetting doesn't bother her at all.

My wife knows i need a diaper at night and it was a problem at first. Dare i say she.was a bit embarrassed.

There are times we would rub each others backs to relax so we could go to sleep etc. At first she.was having some issues in that she was rubbing my back and then go low enough to touch the back of the diaper. She was afraid to.touch it for a while but she became used to it being there. Now it seems to be ok but she requires me to wear shorts over it. Thats ok i understand.

I dont feel guilty as it is a need. We both sleep very heavily. I dont wake when i pee so i dont know its happening. Dont make it an issue and it is not an issue.

Now when we are going to have activity at night which does happen a few times a week. That may require.the removal of the diaper. Well not may but is. The issue is that most times it is a spontaneous thing as many of you know. At first it broke the mood and created a divide between us. Now its ok. So lets put it this way. In preparing for this i now either untape my diaper slowly throughout the process or sometimes she asks me to just keep it on until im ready. Im trying to be a bit discreet but can comment more if you want.

Thanks for all the comments thus far. I have been thinking about it a bit further and I think it all comes to one question. It might be a bit blunt, but let me try.
If I don't wake up, the diaper is rather dry in the front which makes me think there is less pressure and thus less noise? If I do wake up, I can't hold it long so I guess it makes more noise. I wonder if one could hear the difference when you wet your diaper on purpose or while asleep. I'm only know for sure I'm not going to ask her.
Any thoughts?

tafkadl said:
Thanks for all the comments thus far. I have been thinking about it a bit further and I think it all comes to one question. It might be a bit blunt, but let me try.
If I don't wake up, the diaper is rather dry in the front which makes me think there is less pressure and thus less noise? If I do wake up, I can't hold it long so I guess it makes more noise. I wonder if one could hear the difference when you wet your diaper on purpose or while asleep. I'm only know for sure I'm not going to ask her.
Any thoughts?

People do tend to slowly leak pee when they are still asleep. And yes, when we are awake we tend to have a much stronger stream that you can sometimes hear. That difference will also affect how well the diaper can absorb and wick pee away too.

Slomo said:
People do tend to slowly leak pee when they are still asleep. And yes, when we are awake we tend to have a much stronger stream that you can sometimes hear. That difference will also affect how well the diaper can absorb and wick pee away too.

All I know is I usually pee heavily while sleeping often much more than any nappy and plastic pants an hold. Other nights I just wake up somewhat wet. I guess some nights it must just come out in a rush and others a steady flow. Pretty much like my daytime incontinence.

I also often wake up from the urge. Since my IC started the problem is, that if I move or sit up my bladder often cramps and then I loose most of it's content. It's more or less the same as over daytime but meanwhile I'd learned some techniques to control it better what gives me time window from round about 15 min. to react.

When I sleep that doesn't work that well and so I have often accidents. How ever - even if I would make it maybe in 40% of the cases to the toilet in time meanwhile I decide often to let it go because it much easier to fall back into sleep. There are also cases when I wake up wet but this have probably something to do with the deep of my sleep. First I thought it was from my snoring but meanwhile I checked that in a out in a sleep lab and it's luckily not the case.

So I think it's not that unusual with IC to wake up before wetting - how ever this depends of cause on the IC type.

But despite of the fact that it might be not the best idea to start lying about the reason of use of the diapers.

I can understand the problem. My wife knows also about my kink and she doesn't like diapers too. So we had to find arrangements what was also a challenge. How ever - the really hard discussions started when my IC began because she thought that this happened to me because I wont it (what was definite not the truth) and she felt that it was my own fault.

Luckily we are meanwhile over it and it was a hard time for me, but I feel that it's much better to have a trust-full open relationship where each other knows about the "turn on's" and "turn off's" as to have something "undefined" that causes often miss-understandings or frustrations.

mickdl said:
But despite of the fact that it might be not the best idea to start lying about the reason of use of the diapers.

I can understand the problem. My wife knows also about my kink and she doesn't like diapers too. So we had to find arrangements what was also a challenge. How ever - the really hard discussions started when my IC began because she thought that this happened to me because I wont it (what was definite not the truth) and she felt that it was my own fault.

Luckily we are meanwhile over it and it was a hard time for me, but I feel that it's much better to have a trust-full open relationship where each other knows about the "turn on's" and "turn off's" as to have something "undefined" that causes often miss-understandings or frustrations.

I think you hit the nail on the head. My wife also knew before my accident I liked diapers but I never confronted her with them. I was diagnosed with an OAB after the accident which caused accidents. As strange as it sounds, this helped me to control my bedwetting: if I drink a glass of water just before hitting the bed, I have a 99% chance of wetting the bed without waking up. Unfortunately, if I drink too much or there is alcohol involved, I do wake up with an urge. Either I pee in the diaper trying to make it to the toilet, either I just let it go and fall back asleep in just a minute. The latter still makes me feel guilty, especially as I never know if she is awake during that time.

At this point, I don't dare to bring that discussion up.

I almost always wear a diaper to bed because of being a light sleeper and needing the toilet so much. I wake up so much and sometimes can't tell if I need to go that bad or if I can wait, then I just stay up until I can't fall back asleep. I've had anxiety about wetting my bed since I was a little kid and that never has seemed to go fully away. My current gf knows about both my fears and occasional bed wetting (when I drink too much) and has said it's ok to wear to bed if I want or need to. She gets up a lot too to use the bathroom but somehow sleeping with her I am a lot more calm and relaxed then I have been in years. Maybe because I know she won't get mad at me for getting up to use the bathroom like previous partners did.

I'm 60 years old and having to get up a number of times at night to go pee ruins a good nights sleep. I used catheters for 3+ years but I needed to try something new. I've been through a number of different products and configurations and came up with one that works for me.
I wear a large BetterDry disposable diaper with a NorthShore Booster Pads & Contoured Diaper Doubler 2X large 10.5 x 27 inch. Over that I wear a Gary 2X large pull-up cloth diaper, and a pair of Gary 2X pull-up plastic pants. This will catch any leaks and keep the bed dry. Lastly I wear a pair of extra large Dignity Washable Pant with Built-In Protective Pouch from Allegro medical. They keep the plastic from sticking to my legs. I know that these kinds of multiple layers my seem like a bit much but I'm sleeping through the night. I barely wake up and feel the urge, roll onto my front or back, go pee, and go right back to sleep. It works for me.

tafkadl said:
I occasionally do wake up from the urge to pee. I know I can't make it to the bathroom in time and deliberately use the diaper. I do feel guilty about this.
My spouse is a light sleeper and is sometimes laying awake in bed. I wonder if she would notice the difference when I wet while I'm sleeping or while I'm awake.
She only tolerates my diapers as there is a medical need and it keeps the bed dry. As she also knows I'm a DL, I'm not going to ask her.
Any similar experiences?
I don't think she would know. I've wet while laying in bed with my husband while we are both awake watching tv. I don't make a big deal of it and he doesn't even notice. I have wet the bed long before I got married and it's something he has accepted. For me if I do wake up and feel the urge to go I won't make it to the bathroom anyway so I just pee and go back to sleep.

I am a light sleeper as well. and move frequently during the night. When I started to wear diapers 24/7, the diapers I wore tended to leak and I wet the bed, It was very embarrassing. My husband is aware of my bladder issues, however I look at my incontinence as my personal issue and I try not to involve him with my issue. During the night when awake I used to check the sheets to see if they were wet, but most of the time they were dry. I have since changed my night time diaper to a prefold with an insert, and have had great success. I still wake up during the night, but I do not know when I pee at night, and wake up in the morning with a very wet diaper. I am now sleeping better (according to my smart watch) and only leak minimally on rare occasions.

Back