If Pampers Easy Ups elastic siding could be used for UnderJams

Prairie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
I noticed that Pampers Easy Ups has some superior elastic siding/waist. The construction seems to be elastic fibers which take the tension, and an excess of the nonwoven material that bunches up into the folds you see. I wonder whether they will eventually move this over to UnderJams, with their currently terrible elastic siding which rips easily. Their inferior construction looks like a plastic layer with cuts in it so it stretches the plastic somewhat.

Those Easy Ups look almost like generic drug store night underwear, with the accordion-like elastic all the way around the top, and the absorbent pad not going all the way to the top of the waist as on GoodNites/UnderJams.

I’ve honestly wondered that myself as well, being that Underjams still are basically the previous version of Easy Ups, albeit a bit larger. It would definitely be something to keep a eye out for in the future.

In my opinion, though, I think a combination of the two would work best. The thing I like about the Underjams’ side panels is they taper more towards the core, providing for a snugger and better fit versus Easy Ups, which pretty much run elastic bands all the way around the sides and core. As you said, it has much more of a generic look and feel to it, and I’d be concerned with leaks at that point if I used the products. This is why I suggested a potential hybrid of the two would work best. I know Pampers is using their absorb channels left and right, but I feel like the core of the Underjams and tapered sides, combined with the material and stretch of the Easy Ups sides, could make for a great product. Just my two cents though.

It amazes me how Pampers have not fixed the side panel issue for Underjams, yet have changed the package several times, and the graphical design at least one time. Why are they not being more competitive with GoodNites? Pampers needs to fix UnderJams, instead of letting it fall to the wayside.

Probably because that elastic doesn't have the same stretch as the fabric in Underjams. It probably would make it less of a size range in each size, and I'm pretty sure they don't want to make a different size because of costs. Also the baby diaper market is in recession because the birth rate has slowed significantly over the passed few years. I don't think they're in the market of spending money to make another size. That would also make them look less like underwear.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MeTaLMaNN1983 said:
Probably because that elastic doesn't have the same stretch as the fabric in Underjams. It probably would make it less of a size range in each size, and I'm pretty sure they don't want to make a different size because of costs. Also the baby diaper market is in recession because the birth rate has slowed significantly over the passed few years. I don't think they're in the market of spending money to make another size. That would also make them look less like underwear.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The funny thing about that is I’ve read plenty of reviews and letters that people have written to P&G asking for a third, larger size for Underjams. Parents have been pushing for it for a while, but nothing has come of it. If they really wanted to be competitive with KC and Goodnites, they really oughta increase either the size range, or make another size altogether. I’d be all for it, Underjams seem to perform better than Goodnites, but they’re too small to use on their own.

Underjams doesn't need another size, just more flexible elastic like their other diaper products or Goodnites.

PaddedBrony said:
The thing I like about the Underjams’ side panels is they taper more towards the core, providing for a snugger and better fit versus Easy Ups, which pretty much run elastic bands all the way around the sides and core. As you said, it has much more of a generic look and feel to it, and I’d be concerned with leaks at that point if I used the products.

Agreed. I noticed another detail on the Easy Ups that also looks just like the generic brands: a horizontal section where you can see that the elastic portion goes all the way around. The generics these look like (I think Walgreens youth night pants) had terrible leak guards without very good elastic. Like you say, the fit is different and not very secure. Underjams have an excellent leak guard system, and tapering etc. of the core.

I recently bought several boxes of Underjams and was worried they might improve the elastic and I'd want to exchange these, hah.

Back