Was it common for bedwetters to use Diaper Genies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XLdiapers

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Was it common for older bedwetting kids to use Diaper Genies for their diapers? Did any of your parents have you use them?

my mom and aunt did not think kids older than 2 should be in diapers, so even if there had been a diaper genie back then, we would not have used one.

Never used a Diaper Genie or anything similar.

My siblings were bedwetters as children (not I) and they did not have diaper genies, although they did use pull-up type diapers for sleeping. It's possible that diaper genies were not invented however, in the early to mid 90s when this was happening in my house. No idea honestly. Today, for our children, we have not used diaper genies at all - we just take out the trash daily or every other day. No noticeable odor, ever.

cm90210 said:
It's possible that diaper genies were not invented however, in the early to mid 90s when this was happening in my house. No idea honestly.
John Hall of Mondial Industries invented the diaper genie in 1998. It did not see widespread use until the early 2000's.

My parents had one for my youngest brother and he was born in '93 so they had to be around by that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure my parents used a small or mid sized trash can that had a lid on it.

AAO said:
My parents had one for my youngest brother and he was born in '93 so they had to be around by that time.
Well it wasn't invented until 1998, they could have used something similar maybe. I am not sure what other products may have been available, but it could have just been a modified trash can more or less.

okmis said:
Well it wasn't invented until 1998, they could have used something similar maybe. I am not sure what other products may have been available, but it could have just been a modified trash can more or less.

I can 100% guarantee you it was a diaper genie style and not a modified trash can. I'm not sure where you are coming up with 1998 but I'm sure they were around before that.

Here is an ad for a Diaper Genie from 1994.
7b9be3212fdac7b9fcb957e6e6b2d23f.jpg

I don't see why anyone would need a diaper genie for just wet diapers. It is primarily used for soiled/messy diapers where the odor is unbearable.

FrumJewDL said:
I don't see why anyone would need a diaper genie for just wet diapers. It is primarily used for soiled/messy diapers where the odor is unbearable.

Also with babies that are getting 5-8 changes per day, compared to a bedwetter that's getting one change per day. Huge difference there. Those are meant to hold what, 15 diapers, probably get closer to 10 for a larger kid, and even that can's going to get pretty ripe after 10 days. Something like that is intended to be emptied probably every other day. Not worth it for two diapers.

FrumJewDL said:

Even a wet only diaper will beging to emit a strong smell withing two days. Really not even one day, but if you'd rolling it up for disposal like you're supposed to, then it helps contain any smells for a little longer.

Still not 100% though, hence why a closed container of some sort is needed. Either that, or you'll need to take out the trast at least every other day.

Slomo said:
.... or you'll need to take out the trast at least every other day.

Do people not do that already? I take my trash out every day when I leave my home. How long do people keep trash in their house?

Llayden said:
Do people not do that already? I take my trash out every day when I leave my home. How long do people keep trash in their house?

Until the can fills up. For me that's once or twice a week.

AAO said:
I can 100% guarantee you it was a diaper genie style and not a modified trash can. I'm not sure where you are coming up with 1998 but I'm sure they were around before that.
I was going off of patents, you can look up the patents for it online, it is possible the patents were pending when the product was released of course. But that advertisement is actually from no earlier than 1997 not 1994 even though it mentions a 1994 copyright date, Mondial Industries did not move to Macedonia, Ohio until 1997. If it were from 1996 or before it would have said Streetsboro, Ohio instead of Macedonia. They are presently located in Ravenna, Ohio just as an aside.

But there was another similar product on the market sometime around late 1994 to early 1995, so it is very well possible it was the other product you had.
Also that is a neat ad, always interesting to look at advertisements from years back.

Vic92 said:
Until the can fills up. For me that's once or twice a week.

Honestly my "take-out schedule" is largely determined by my diaper usage, because that's what's in 85% of my trash. I average around 3-4 days before the can under the sink is level full and needs to go out. Even though I roll up and tape shut my wet diapers, there's usually a bit of odor developing by then.

Each day I put my used diapers in a plastic grocery bag. At the end of the day, I tie the bag closed and put it in my garbage can outdoors. The city picks up the garbage every other week. This system essentially eliminates any diaper odour in the house.

My son who was incontinent (urine) kept a diaper genie for years. Fortunately, after the transplant he's doing much better.

I've gone through a diaper genie and now am on the a Dekor pail. As pointed out, even wet diapers get smelly after a day or so. Nice thinga bout the Dekor is you can put a regular 13 gal (tall kitchen) trashbag in it rather than their "endless tube" diapers.

Llayden said:

Most cities in the US only have weekly trash pickup. So the trash only goes out once a week, or when the bin gets full.

And so long as the trash or diaper bin has a decent enough lid on it, smells are never a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm curious too though. Does that mean you are taking out lots of partiLly filled trash bags all the time? Isn't that a bit of a waste?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back