Pacifiers problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunshineFlower

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
Hoi~ I have a question I was asking myself for a while. I'm sorry if it was topic here a while ago, I can't search on my phone :(

But, what bugs me, is if the pacifier affects the teeth or the mouth in general.

For example, can the teeth start getting lose of sucking too much? Or can you get sores in your mouth?

Addition to brushing your teeth, any other way to prevent those?

~Thank you ~ [emoji173]

From what I've read, pacifiers usually don't affect adult teeth unless you use them all the time. Though I don't think it's that simple, there are many factors in play (size and shape for example).
I am worried about it because I noticed some tooth movement myself, but I'm not sure if it's the pacifier (it's cherry shaped, but I almost exclusively use it at night, and you don't actually suck on it while sleeping). I have gained another wisdom tooth recently (my third I think).

When in doubt, go to your dentist. I'll probably do the same once I work up the courage to call there. No need to tell them about using a pacifier (though even if you come into a situation where you had to - while it would be akward for sure, it's also confidential).

Yes, No, Maybe!

I think this depends on many things. The type and design of the pacifier, where you are in your growth cycle, your bone structure, your teeth and mouth and probably other things as well.

I have been sucking my thumb (I know it is not exactly like a pacifier) since I was a baby and I go to the dentist every 6 months. Except for a few cavities and stains (I am a big cola drinker), my teeth are fine. So for me, it didn't affect my teeth (I never had braces).

Yes a pacifier can distort your teeth (your thumb will do so even worse). Of course you'd have to be using it like 2+ straight hours ever day- for years. The occasional pacifier use will likely not affect your teeth.

I'm paci abuser (sometimes 23/24 hours/day, everynight sleep as a minimum) and I've shifted frontal teeth. And I think it'd be match of other ABs - one time I've seen someone with the same teeth shifted like myself and later I found out pacis...

If I sleep with it to many nights in row my teeth will start to move, but if i stop for a few nights it goes back. also I have to small a size probably at only Nuk 3.

I wish I had the guts to buy a pacifier...

I think you just need to push yourself to do it. There are plenty options to get them, online, in a sanitary housing, at baby stores if you prefer baby ones. I'd say, just do it ~ it's more than worth it :3

SunshineFlower said:
Hoi~ I have a question I was asking myself for a while. I'm sorry if it was topic here a while ago, I can't search on my phone :(

But, what bugs me, is if the pacifier affects the teeth or the mouth in general.

For example, can the teeth start getting lose of sucking too much? Or can you get sores in your mouth?

Addition to brushing your teeth, any other way to prevent those?

~Thank you ~ [emoji173]

The worst I have is sore teeth after biting really hard on mine while I sleep.

Oh noes! Is that an habit of yours? I really never heard about biting a pacifier while sleeping :eek:

Slomo said:
Yes a pacifier can distort your teeth (your thumb will do so even worse). Of course you'd have to be using it like 2+ straight hours ever day- for years. The occasional pacifier use will likely not affect your teeth.

I can agree with this. When I was younger I sucked my thumb all the time. My jaw and teeth are distorted because of this and the roof of my mouth is really narrow.
With that said I still like to use my paci often though.

That's sad to hear... Other question would be, does this only affect little pacifiers for babies or the training pacifiers for adults, too?

As I observed, so it's in this way... bigger paci, bigger "problem..."

I've never noticed anything, and I sleep with my paci more often than not. But I use baby paci's, i don't have an adult one.

I prefer using the baby one, since the bigger one is a little bit too big (I'm afraid of gagging and can't hold big things in my mouth too often), and I noticed, that my teeth, when waking up, are slightly off and I need to push them back in, if that makes sense... Apparently I am not the only one with the issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back