I finally did it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scifer555

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
First I want to say that it's been awhile since I posted anything, hello people of ADISC, I hope all if not at least some are doing good.

Now on to the main point of this post. I actually was able to go into the public eye and purchase Goodnights! A few days from Christmas no less, so there was quite the crowd of people. I used a self checkout, but I'm sure some might have seen them. I had a random boost of courage and managed to do it without incident. I never really thought could do it, but if this is any indication, 2017 will be a good year. Would it be weird to say that I'm 'proud' of myself? Maybe? Maybe not? Well no matter the case, I feel good about it for sure. I suppose my next venture will be to buy diapers online and somehow get them without being questioned to death. This of course won't be a concern until I actually have the money for it. Speaking of money, I may have a job opportunity nothing fancy. It would be a job and that's what counts as I work towards independence. 2016 was a rough year... but I will keep going forward.

Here's to a good year and a fresh start!

Reactions: neophyte
PyjamaBaby said:
Well done and I hope this year continues well for you
Thank you! I hope this year goes well for you.

Congrats - very good. The first time is always the hardest, but reality probably is that only in our minds do we imagine that other shoppers will notice :)

Congrats as well, more so for getting a job. It sounds like you're traveling in the right direction.

Well done mate. It's the best feeling to after it's all done and bought. Though if you're like me it's usually a struggle each time. Some say the first is the hardest but honestly my first time buying drynites was in 2014 and I still struggle sometimes to buy diapers in store to this day. Although it is easier it still is a struggle with some of those times being just as bad as when I first tried. In fact only recently I spent an entire day driving around to different places trying to get the courage to buy some. But all the best and hope you do gain confidence more and more from here :)

Maxx said:
Public diaper purchase is indeed a win over social anxiety. Hopefully the start of a winning streak including other things as well.
The anxiety does get to me sometimes, I'm just glad I powered through it. The risk was well worth the reward that's for sure. I hope this will also be the start of something good.

- - - Updated - - -

jguy said:
Congrats - very good. The first time is always the hardest, but reality probably is that only in our minds do we imagine that other shoppers will notice :)
I felt like everyone near me was staring, despite the fact that upon a glance I noticed no one really looking. Maybe someone looking around here or there, but I'm sure it was more in my mind like you said lol.

- - - Updated - - -

dogboy said:
Congrats as well, more so for getting a job. It sounds like you're traveling in the right direction.
In my mind I see both as an equal accomplishment, maybe not so much in a literal sense, but I have similar feelings about both.

I remember purchasing my first Goodnites in the summer of 2012 while vacationing in Maine; I was so nervous at the register, but once out of the store I felt so proud.

HuggiesGuy said:
Well done mate. It's the best feeling to after it's all done and bought. Though if you're like me it's usually a struggle each time. Some say the first is the hardest but honestly my first time buying drynites was in 2014 and I still struggle sometimes to buy diapers in store to this day. Although it is easier it still is a struggle with some of those times being just as bad as when I first tried. In fact only recently I spent an entire day driving around to different places trying to get the courage to buy some. But all the best and hope you do gain confidence more and more from here :)
Thank you haha, yeah I would say to do it again might be just as nerve wracking. I made a few posts on here about buying them, but to finally follow through is a good feeling. I truthfully don't know where I got the courage from, but it was strong enough to overpower my anxiety. I hope that I will be able to do it again, but I know that it will be a battle in my mind so to speak. Here's to finding strength to buy them once more.

- - - Updated - - -

handsomestallion said:
I remember purchasing my first Goodnites in the summer of 2012 while vacationing in Maine; I was so nervous at the register, but once out of the store I felt so proud.
I definitely felt good after I managed to buy them. It probably helped a lot that it was a self checkout, still a feat for me considering the other people around. It's nice to see I'm not alone in being nervous.

One of the difficulties to contend with in that first time purchase - is the sizing - you want so very much to get it right on - so that you will not have to face the embarrassment
of returning them if you can do that at all. Reading the sizing label and avoiding having to ask someone behind the counter if this will be my size and fit me ! Other concerns are
will this be OK for all night use - will plastic leakproof panties be necessary - I am on a budget do you have smaller packages to try for size. The package holds a dozen and the
largest bag does not cover them discretely and I just want to slip out the door unnoticed - what me buying diapers - no way - Oh those they are for someone else - holding them
in a death grip an arm length behind your back !
When you are in line at the check-out counter be wary of those little ole ladies who have the all knowing wisdom of knowing everything there is to know about diapers and baby gear
and start to babble on about is it your first - are you sure - those look awful big for a newborn and the best reply yet - yeah I wear incontinence aids too my insurance pays for them.

Well at this point have I struck a nerve - yes your nerve and keeping your composure with a neutral color (RED is not a neutral color) as the pharmacist comes out from behind the
counter - you seem to be having some trouble here young man may I be of assistance - did your doctor give you a prescription for your incontinence and your stress level and blood
pressure is going thru the top of aisle 5 - you need aisle 6 where we have the incontinence aids are - step this way.

There is no way to have this fade to black - so you have arrived in your own twilight zone of securing a dry nights worth of sleep - but this nightmare keeps you on edge.

So wear a diaper and take two of these and call me in morning ! Thank You for shopping at the B and A Supercenter (that's Babies and Adults) - you all come back ya hear !

The latest statement in vogue right now is "Get Over It" so snap out of this
dream state buy the damn diapers and blow this B & A Supercenter before
you actually need to use them and make a scene.

Realize that Pee and $hit happens Yes it comes naturally to everyone !

babylock1 said:
One of the difficulties to contend with in that first time purchase - is the sizing - you want so very much to get it right on - so that you will not have to face the embarrassment
of returning them if you can do that at all. Reading the sizing label and avoiding having to ask someone behind the counter if this will be my size and fit me ! Other concerns are
will this be OK for all night use - will plastic leakproof panties be necessary - I am on a budget do you have smaller packages to try for size. The package holds a dozen and the
largest bag does not cover them discretely and I just want to slip out the door unnoticed - what me buying diapers - no way - Oh those they are for someone else - holding them
in a death grip an arm length behind your back !
When you are in line at the check-out counter be wary of those little ole ladies who have the all knowing wisdom of knowing everything there is to know about diapers and baby gear
and start to babble on about is it your first - are you sure - those look awful big for a newborn and the best reply yet - yeah I wear incontinence aids too my insurance pays for them.

Well at this point have I struck a nerve - yes your nerve and keeping your composure with a neutral color (RED is not a neutral color) as the pharmacist comes out from behind the
counter - you seem to be having some trouble here young man may I be of assistance - did your doctor give you a prescription for your incontinence and your stress level and blood
pressure is going thru the top of aisle 5 - you need aisle 6 where we have the incontinence aids are - step this way.

There is no way to have this fade to black - so you have arrived in your own twilight zone of securing a dry nights worth of sleep - but this nightmare keeps you on edge.

So wear a diaper and take two of these and call me in morning ! Thank You for shopping at the B and A Supercenter (that's Babies and Adults) - you all come back ya hear !

The latest statement in vogue right now is "Get Over It" so snap out of this
dream state buy the damn diapers and blow this B & A Supercenter before
you actually need to use them and make a scene.

Realize that Pee and $hit happens Yes it comes naturally to everyone !
It sounds like you've had some rather interesting experiences. o.o Thankfully for me the Goodnights do fit, I can't imagine going back for a return, just thinking about it makes me anxious. I do agree though, everybody goes, no reason to make a fuss about it.

well done I remember my first time and many visits going into boots the chemist getting my pads or pulls up then going to the queue and paying for stuff , then great the self serve tills come long great no body to hand the product over , but then you think the person next to you see what I have or walking around the shop and I used go in the evening always find staff with there trolley reloaded the shelves that's time I did t like it but as I needed then I just get on and buy then .Now I use a medical supply shop in the city and feel great when I go in there , I explain why first time I went to this shop I felt embarrassed as the shop assistance asked if could help I could feel myself going red , I first asked about if they the pants reusable that keep you dry if you leak , she said yes what size do you need for the person ,Then I explain it was for me then she said don't worry I am here to help you she asked what is problem and told her that it was due to my enlarge prostrate and O A B she asked how much do I leak I told her I go 150 ml at time so she sold me right pads for that amount to try , then she measured me to see what size I need for my water proof pants then she ask how my night time like as she explain that she have lot young men with problems at night time use a nappy ,so i made out i did not use nappies but i give that i try now go in there monthly get my pads ,pull ups and nappies as i use the pads for work , pull ups if go drinking or out in the day not sure where loo is and the nappies for night time .
i now feel great going to that shop nice relax she even ask me to try another brand to see what they like as used Molicare now use premium from forma-care nappies and pull ups they are very good , then when went back in the shop she asked what they like if they were comfortable if they hold well this was in front other customers with my nappies at the shelf as they waited to be serve i did not even feel embarrassed , i don't worry now even at work as i carry spare pants and pads as they know about my problem ,i found i not only one wet myself at work as i drive buses .

Wow, you must he pretty small with like a 24 or max 26 inch waist (not hips) for goodnights to actually fit.

Congrats on getting over your social anxiety. As I'm sure you've found, almost nobody ever notices and even if they do notice most don't care any ways. That fear was all in your head and you conquered it.

Premetheus said:
It sounds like you've had some rather interesting experiences. o.o Thankfully for me the Goodnights do fit, I can't imagine going back for a return, just thinking about it makes me anxious. I do agree though, everybody goes, no reason to make a fuss about it.

My dad was a pharmacist and the family owned a drug store in the late 1950's and early '60s. I filled in on the night shift to pay for college. Dad and Mom always had stories to tell and discretions to pass
on with certain items requiring the utmost aplomb - certain things you NEVER did was holler across the store where do I find the XXX (fill in any sensitive item - any item ahem) and expect to see that
embarrassed customer again in the store. Education of the help was always a task - a new product was introduced with little or no definition of what it was and it's use - Oops that was one of those new
items that - well I won't go there - you should have caught the drift on this one. And that one about the busy body grandmother type shopper who knew all about diapers and babies - had to divert her
attention away from the check-out counter when one of those unidentified items was being sold to a customer needing counseling in it's application. It is amazing the inventory of items that needed such
discretionary counseling. We always provided large opaque bags for the items that would be most revealing in leaving the store. Of course the regulars knew something was in the bag that required that
level of attention and also to keep their nose out of other peoples business. The drug store had an old fashion soda fountain and after a customer left the chatter was not about that Lady Chatterly but
then there I go revealing a secret that now is well past the statue of limitations - so no foul - no harm !

Those were the days - - - and about asking the pharmacist about those sensitive items just who the heck are you going to ask for help in a drug store ?
Get over it - for the most part they have seen and heard all of the horror and gossip stories about Prep H etc. --- OK relax - resume LOL at this point !

babylock1 said:
Get over it - for the most part they have seen and heard all of the horror and gossip stories about Prep H etc. --- OK relax - resume LOL at this point !

"I tried that stuff once, horrible I tell ya, absolutely the worst tasting toothpaste on the market!"

busman said:
well done I remember my first time and many visits going into boots the chemist getting my pads or pulls up then going to the queue and paying for stuff , then great the self serve tills come long great no body to hand the product over , but then you think the person next to you see what I have or walking around the shop and I used go in the evening always find staff with there trolley reloaded the shelves that's time I did t like it but as I needed then I just get on and buy then .Now I use a medical supply shop in the city and feel great when I go in there , I explain why first time I went to this shop I felt embarrassed as the shop assistance asked if could help I could feel myself going red , I first asked about if they the pants reusable that keep you dry if you leak , she said yes what size do you need for the person ,Then I explain it was for me then she said don't worry I am here to help you she asked what is problem and told her that it was due to my enlarge prostrate and O A B she asked how much do I leak I told her I go 150 ml at time so she sold me right pads for that amount to try , then she measured me to see what size I need for my water proof pants then she ask how my night time like as she explain that she have lot young men with problems at night time use a nappy ,so i made out i did not use nappies but i give that i try now go in there monthly get my pads ,pull ups and nappies as i use the pads for work , pull ups if go drinking or out in the day not sure where loo is and the nappies for night time .
i now feel great going to that shop nice relax she even ask me to try another brand to see what they like as used Molicare now use premium from forma-care nappies and pull ups they are very good , then when went back in the shop she asked what they like if they were comfortable if they hold well this was in front other customers with my nappies at the shelf as they waited to be serve i did not even feel embarrassed , i don't worry now even at work as i carry spare pants and pads as they know about my problem ,i found i not only one wet myself at work as i drive buses .
It sounds like despite the embarassment at first, you had a relatively pleasent experience. It's nice to see that there are many different experiences when it comes to the ABDLIC community. I believe in time that I'll completely conquer my fears of public purchase. It might take some time, but I know that I can do it. I figured I wasn't alone when it came to embarassment or anxiety, just really isn't fun to have.

- - - Updated - - -

Slomo said:
Wow, you must he pretty small with like a 24 or max 26 inch waist (not hips) for goodnights to actually fit.

Congrats on getting over your social anxiety. As I'm sure you've found, almost nobody ever notices and even if they do notice most don't care any ways. That fear was all in your head and you conquered it.
I'd like to think I'm pretty lean, not quite a body builder but not overweight by any means. They fit and they fit well. Anxiety is a cruel mistress, you know in all reality no one really cares if you're buying them, but in the moment it feels like all eyes are on you. I felt pretty empowered when I walked out of the store. Thank you though on the congradulations, it certainly wasn't easy for me.

- - - Updated - - -

bambinod said:
"I tried that stuff once, horrible I tell ya, absolutely the worst tasting toothpaste on the market!"
I actually laughed for a good minute about this... A+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back