Johnson and Johnson loses baby powder case

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the talc based powered, though. Most of the stuff you can get in the store now is cornstarch, which is safe! Still, many of us were exposed to talcum powder as babies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrandonBabypup said:
A lady was awarded 70 million
J+Js baby powder VERIFIED to cause cancer.

This actually isn't a true statement. Please re-read the article again.

This article only shows that the lady won her lawsuit ... this doesn't mean that baby power = cancer. Merely that a jury could not find any other cause more probable.

Yes, talcum powder has been implicated in potential for ovarian cancer (and unclear if any other may be involved). However, this is only assumptive at best and the reason is that there has been no complete study that shows pure causation - merely association with the use of talcum powder. And no study will ever be performed (or could ethically be performed) -> this is because it would be unethical to expose x number of babies/people to a potential carcinogen and the other half not exposed. This means that all studies to date have been retrospective (meaning that they look back at data and try to exclude possible confounding factors). However, this type of study is not considered the best and can be easily misinterpreted.

Also, keep in mind that I know it sounds bad that Johnson and Johnson created this and have exposed many children/women to a potential carcinogen. However, you have to remember that this was done at a time that science did not fully understand everything. The evidence they had at the time suggested that talcum was safe to use on the skin. I can show you a number of drugs that were released to market that at the time appeared safe (and not manipulated to appear safe). However, after years/lifetimes of use signs of sinister things appeared. This is the problem with drugs/cosmetics/any products for human use. We cannot test these products effects over a lifetime, therefore we only get a glimpse of what may or may not happen. Some things take a lifetime to develop, and we would not see these in a 5 or 10-year study ... and drugs/products aren't usually in studies of that duration unless they are potentially implicated with something sinister.

Lastly, please don't confuse a ruling in court with actual scientific evidence. There are a lot of things that depend on a ruling in court as opposed to the scientific evidence. Yes, scientific evidence is usually used in court cases to try to show causation. But this case didn't prove that baby powder caused her ovarian cancer. This ruling was for neglect conduct - meaning that the failed to warn consumers about the "potential" that could exist for cancer. So actually check the scientific evidence which to date (and to quote from the news article you posted):
Much research has found no link or a weak one between ovarian cancer and using baby powder for feminine hygiene, and most major health groups have declared talc harmless.

Reactions: Trevor
I went to the Bloomburg report to see if the Global News was a reliable source and it is. This is the third suit J & J has lost. Talc, if I'm correct, acts much like asbestos in that its an irritant.

I haven't followed this case, but one of the issues with talc is it's often contaminated with asbestos as well (naturally occuring). The Japanese have discovered this many deades ago. I remember writing this up in a paper in my senior year in high school.

J&J baby powder and most similar products switched to corn starch long ago.

Like Zeek61 said, that's a legal case. Jumping from there to insisting it's scientific proof is the sort of sloppy, careless thinking that drives the clickbait and sensationalist dominance in contemporary media. To get slightly offensive, but relevant, it's the same sort of thinking that leads to ABDL == pedophile.

According to International Agency for Research on Cancer (a quite reputable source) talc is in the category of carcinogens as coffee and cell phones. So, grains of salt.

Last edited:
Well the polio vaccine when first made is what gave us all the cancer virus.
They made the vaccine in monkey livers when they pulled the vaccine out they also pulled out cancer virus then gave it to us kids in a suger cube.
Now we all have it just like the monkey's
Read the book Isabelle's monkey.
A genetic researcher told me the book is true.

Cancer in humans predates J&J by a very long long time , it also predates our use of asbestos, cancer has been around for thousands of years , the only good thing is modern science is finding ways to kill it and cure it.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Maxx said:
It's not clear from your profile how old you are, but my guess is that you're not old enough to have, or know anyone who had polio. Even if true, a few cancer cases vs the plague that was polio is a trade most informed people would make in a heartbeat.

<sarcasm>That said, I'll do my best to keep talcum powder out of my vagina <sarcasm>
You was not there when I talked the the bio researcher that I talk to about the book that I just read.
He told me it was a true story.
Tell me this how many die from cancer now.
I said the first vaccines were tainted and I very much remember the sugar cube.
You dont have my experience's if we could mind meld then you would understand what I was told.

Correlation is NOT causation ( https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10472327 )
Also, cancer predates modern medicine, so clearly something as recent at 1950 cannot be the origin (unless you'd like to propose a time-travel theory to explain it?)

I think it's just money-grubbing lawyers, that have figured out how to harm a huge conglomerate like J&J. Honestly, if this stuff is bad to be dabbed on your coochie, then my lungs are going to die, long before me, because I've breathed it in, to some slight degree, for the past 40+ years. You think I have a case, too??? Seriously, we need torte reform in this country, so people that ignore warnings, and get sick, don't benefit. Again, in this case, J&J is being punished because they knew talc had some minor cancerous properties, and they covered it up. The lawyers figured that out, and sniffed out some coochies that were baby like, AND had cervical/uterine cancer, and made a case out of J&J's deception. Christ, every baby born in the past 60 years was exposed to Johnson's baby powder, and there's never been a connection made between lung cancer & J&J's, has there?

OK, here's a little extra tidbit... The VA keeps checking my lungs for cancer, because they is something in the base of my lungs that shouldn't be there, but isn't growing after a half dozen X-rays. So, is it baby powder, drywall dust, or the asbestos I was exposed to in the late 1970's? And, should I be more worried about my Agent Orange exposure at the end of the war in Southeast Asia, or Johnson's & Johnson's??? As I see it, my life has been made WAY BETTER by my use of J&J's, and I'll just have to accept whatever consequences there are for that, as well as for riding my bike behind the mosquito fogging truck, and my asbestos & AO exposure....

Live fast / die young, and leave a good looking corpse!

Kind of like an alcoholic, regardless of whether baby powder causes cancer, I am not giving it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back