Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelic

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
I feel like I have the brain of a child and some things I am not mature enough for.

Like for example, last night I was watching a documentary on kids in the UK Living in poverty with no toys, illnesses, stinking clothes and hardly any food and living in a rough area. It really upset me afterwards but I was intrigued, I was frightened last night that I was going to end up like that! After I relised that my dads friend would always take us in if anything happens, we would be ok, I calmed down a little. I am a bit scared because since my mom had died, some of our benefits are no longer coming in and my brother had failed the DLA test so that won't be coming in. I not even sure that dad has a job! Anyway I don't think I am mature enough to really be watching things like that, I always get upset at mature topics like that and people with serious illnesses and dementia.

Should I stay away from documentries? Should I just watch children's TV instead? Should I avoid books with bullying and horrible things in them like teen books? Would it really be healthy to avoid things like that? I know things like that happen and I am not going to turn a blind eye to it. I just have had enough bad things happen to me for a lifetime!

Do you guys avoid adult things like this? Do you get upset? Do you feel like you are mature enough?

- - - Updated - - -

Hey what others could I do to be like a child?

I dont know really...what is your living situation, do you work?
I dont watch/read/listen to things that I know will make me upset but I need to stay adult enough to manage my life. I have a childs personality and sometimes I worry about being too childish but the fact that I try to make a budget that works makes me feel like I am on the "safe side", hahaha!!!

My living condition I guess is that I live in a fair sized house? I don't work but I go to college so hopefully my dad gets child benefits because I am only 18. I am adult enough to take care of my own finances, help out in the house and go to college but recently I am not coping too well with college so I just take it easy and try to go each day for as long as possible. I am like you magnolia, I have no adult personality, I may have adult interest like sewing, shopping and watching superhero and sci fi films but there is no adult personality what so ever, I have a child's instead, I get excited to my dad and we get excited together about toys and have some good laughs together. I am glad I told my dad about liking to be a kid but I could never tell him about the baby and toddler sides. Have you told anybody outside of Adisc, magnolia? I think we should private chat if you feel like you would comfortable doing so, if not that's ok!
Back on track maybe I should stop watching stuff like that but I watch a soap called coronation street and I enjoy it but they have upsetting themes in it and I get upset but I love the story line behind it, should I carry watching that?

Angelic said:
Should I stay away from documentries? Should I just watch children's TV instead? Should I avoid books with bullying and horrible things in them like teen books? Would it really be healthy to avoid things like that? I know things like that happen and I am not going to turn a blind eye to it. I just have had enough bad things happen to me for a lifetime!

Do you guys avoid adult things like this? Do you get upset? Do you feel like you are mature enough?

Well, I gotta say that if you don't want to watch documentaries like that, don't. No one's gonna twist your arm over that. If you want to watch childrens tv programming, that's cool. But do try to stay ahead on current events, after all current events are among many different topics that come up in adult conversaton. As for reading books that deal with bullying and things of the like, I'd say, you don't have to, no one's gonna call you out on that anyway.

As for it being healthy for avoiding things that seriously upset you, I'd be hard pressed to say what it is. That's a question for someone more qualified than I.

I tend to avoid some stuff, but mostly gorey horror movies, they're just dumb in my opinion. And also there were and are worse atrocities that were carried out in reality that I wish I never knew about. It sort of upsets me, but I make myself deal with it. And if I really can't handle it, I just take a break from it, although that's not often. I feel as though I am mature enough for my age, people tell me that so I just accept it.

I think the level of introspection and analysis you employ pretty clearly indicates an adult brain at work. You may have some immature traits or preferences or simply be sensitive to certain subjects but that's not the same, which is very good. To be stuck with a child's brain as an adult would be a sad state of affairs, and those who suffer from those conditions require lifelong care and limited development.

The purpose of childhood is to grow and learn and carry those things forward. I think regardless of our individual challenges or disabilities, we have all progressed beyond. We just place a much higher value on aspects of a child's world and worldview than the rest of society. Learn to use it as a strength rather than a weakness.

i love documentaries and some are depressing you don't have stop watching documentaries just be careful which ones you watch

Angelic said:
I feel like I have the brain of a child and some things I am not mature enough for.

Like for example, last night I was watching a documentary on kids in the UK Living in poverty with no toys, illnesses, stinking clothes and hardly any food and living in a rough area. It really upset me afterwards but I was intrigued, I was frightened last night that I was going to end up like that! After I relised that my dads friend would always take us in if anything happens, we would be ok, I calmed down a little. I am a bit scared because since my mom had died, some of our benefits are no longer coming in and my brother had failed the DLA test so that won't be coming in. I not even sure that dad has a job! Anyway I don't think I am mature enough to really be watching things like that, I always get upset at mature topics like that and people with serious illnesses and dementia.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey what others could I do to be like a child?

Hi Angelic.

Deep breaths and nice and carm.

I know the monsters under the bed can be scary and we jump form ABC to xyz in our head space.

It good that you can talk it out with your family.

As for watching grown up TV and stuff well I think its good for us to know thing like poverty, and human trafficking. It is a mean world out there.but if we know thing we can keep our self safe.

Sometime bad thing happen and we have to deal with it. Little space has its place in that but so does having to be an adult at times.

Hope that helps you little one.

Sisi

Angelic said:
My living condition I guess is that I live in a fair sized house? I don't work but I go to college so hopefully my dad gets child benefits because I am only 18. I am adult enough to take care of my own finances, help out in the house and go to college but recently I am not coping too well with college so I just take it easy and try to go each day for as long as possible. I am like you magnolia, I have no adult personality, I may have adult interest like sewing, shopping and watching superhero and sci fi films but there is no adult personality what so ever, I have a child's instead, I get excited to my dad and we get excited together about toys and have some good laughs together. I am glad I told my dad about liking to be a kid but I could never tell him about the baby and toddler sides. Have you told anybody outside of Adisc, magnolia? I think we should private chat if you feel like you would comfortable doing so, if not that's ok!
Back on track maybe I should stop watching stuff like that but I watch a soap called coronation street and I enjoy it but they have upsetting themes in it and I get upset but I love the story line behind it, should I carry watching that?

Umm...perhaps I described myself in a wrong way - my adult personality is fully developed and my childish/childlike side is a part of it. I get the toys I want and I buy them myself, so there is no hiding going on and consequently no need to tell anyone. I have even decorated my ear mufs with colorful beads and the guys at the shooting range thinks that is cool and very much typical me.

Trevor said:
I think the level of introspection and analysis you employ pretty clearly indicates an adult brain at work. You may have some immature traits or preferences or simply be sensitive to certain subjects but that's not the same, which is very good. To be stuck with a child's brain as an adult would be a sad state of affairs, and those who suffer from those conditions require lifelong care and limited development.

I think Trevor has done it again with an insightful and a very good post. He said the same thing I was thinking but in a clearer way than I could.

I admit to being both an adult and a child both in the same body.

caitianx said:

Yes, this is how I feel too :)

caitianx said:

Me too.

After a certain age we can only imagine what it's like to actually have a child's mind unless you had some sort of mental disability. The truth is Trevor is correct. Someone who honestly has a brain of a child probably wouldn't even be thinking about this sort of stuff let alone concerned about whether or not they had such a brain. I think to an extent we are all immature in our own ways. I know I most certainly am at times, but I think this applies to most people in general, not just AB/DL individuals.

I'm rapidly forgetting simple spellings, and I don't really know why. I think it's regression, but if I carry on forgetting stuff like this I'm gonna have to go to someone

Don't worry, you are just regressing, how old are you? Have you had any head injuries? Are you depressed?
Do you have autism or ADHD or both?

If you are over the age of 65, then. Alzheimer's is a possibility. You seem to me that you are quite young, around 20, correct me if I am wrong. If you had any head injuries, both recently or a history of one, symptoms like forgetfulness can be a sign that it's a recurring injury. You should go and see a neurologist if so. With depression, simple things can seem daunting so you are reluctant to try spelling, just a 2 cents there. With autism/ADHD, you can easily distracted by both thoughts and other around stimulation like TV.

It's most likely regression, just relax if these factor are not a likely source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back