Aaaarrrhhh! My autism/ADHD is keeping me awake at some ungodly hour!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelic

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
I wonder if this is a symptom commonly known to people with autism and/or ADHD: being awake in the early hours and not even knowing if you went to sleep at all!

It's incredibly annoying and especially because I am going to feel that in the morning and be so moody and sad!

How do you drop off asleep if your brain won't let you!? Ok, seriously how do you make yourself sleep if you can't, I need some tips, but mind you I think I know why, we didn't exactly learn anything in college today so I didn't use my brain hardly! I usually learn something at home as well on days off.

Is it stress because today the class was filled with students were like just left school and just loud and immature and I just want to punch them for what they did to me, keeping me awake!!!! I was actually starting to feel sick and I was getting stressed because the college class really resembled school in a sense that they even had SPELLING TESTS!!! And some people just didn't' want to be in class or were even remotely interested! One cheeky little shit! He is actually 2 years younger than me but he is stereotypical teenager and so moody and such a little shit! One guy was fat and had a weird haircut and I imagined him yelling "HEYEHEYHEYHEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Fucking idiots reminding me of school that I even after 2 years I can't even recover from the horror of school and bullying!

I wasn't thinking about them in any way, I just lay in bed and just shut off without falling asleep and then my cats decided to come into my room and be noisy!

I dunno, but in this case you seem to have insomnia (I'm sorry if you don't agree with me, I don't know your point here is to sleep at night or during the day, this is just my opinion), personally this caused by psychological problems like "stress" such problems that you through everyday so make you mind not calm and difficult to sleep well. On what I know about overcome this problems when you want to sleep in physically ways is,

Maybe your room "light", make sure your room light is dim when you want to sleep (I don't know you sleep with room light or not), avoid drinking any coffee, keep clock away from yourself when sleeping because it can make you more stress for calculating the time or it could be the noise, keep away all electronics things from your bed, and also make sure your room don't mess because our mind will be calm if the room looks tidy, besides the fresh air also help, therefore open your window in the day for air cycle.

You say your cat in, because of that keep your pets away from where you sleep and also take time to doing something relaxing and refresh your mind, reduce for think too much about problems that burden your mind such anxiety for you can sleep well,
enjoy your life little girl!

Quick seek the professional if you still cannot sleep to get solutions for stress or anxiety disorders.

All for you be well.
AEther*

Last edited:
Sometimes I get those nights when I can't sleep and mostly I can

It ain't your autism - I have autism and I can sleep fine.

What is it then!?

Angelic said:
What is it then!?

It could be anxiety, or it could be a number of things, you may have to see a doctor on that one. the anxiety is what it is for me anyway

I think it may of been because I had to buy bras today and it doesn't feel right, I was crying this morning before I went. I was dreading buying bras because I feel like a little girl and dirty having breasts.

Angelic said:
I think it may of been because I had to buy bras today and it doesn't feel right, I was crying this morning before I went. I was dreading buying bras because I feel like a little girl and dirty having breasts.

Wow, I think you need a bit calm yourself from annoyed your physical body you have, talking about physically sometimes difficult to accept what we have in our physically selves, but you should know that there are still a good side of your physical body that you have because nothing is more perfect than you have now, I don't know what is but you have to be grateful for that, you will always feels guilty if you always think yourself like that, believe you're not looks dirty with it, you must know in this world there are many people live with physical disabilities who wanted them self born normal, so try to slightly appreciate your life even though it feels bitter for you can live with more better. Regression should make you feels better with your life circumstance not to make you hate your physical self.

(Sorry if this seems opposite).

AEther*

Last edited:
I'm also autistic, by any chance do you also have sensory issues?

I know silly things like an itchy mattress will keep me awake, or being too stressed.

Doing things out of the ordinary can do it too.

For some with autism sleeping can be a bit of a issue, for others maybe not so much.

Have you been like this though childhood, I know that my sleeping problems have always stuck to me.

A good way of telling if you have sensory issues, is if some noises are "painful" to you, or with me walking bare feet is painful, could even be with food, I'm a fussy eater because of my sensory issues.

But yes, simple things like stress, excitement or fear can keep a person awake.

I'm what we call over-sensitive, I have trouble sleeping due to small things such as sensitivity to light, sound touch. I find it hard to cut out sounds etc. I don't like being touched and I have to wear specific clothes.

Last edited:
I am like that but I couldn't think what the problem was, it was a pattern from childhood I always had, I sometimes had trouble going to sleep at night and it would take ages for me to go to sleep.

Angelic said:
I am like that but I couldn't think what the problem was, it was a pattern from childhood I always had, I sometimes had trouble going to sleep at night and it would take ages for me to go to sleep.

What type of autism do you have if you don't mind me asking?, It's quite common in high functioning autism, and Asperger's to also have a sleep disorder of some kind.

With me it's falling asleep that is the problem, my brain doesn't "switch off", I can sleep like a baby (literally ahahaha), if I've been up for days, or I'm exhausted.

I have Asperger's if I am not mistaken. It is always going to sleep that is the problem for me.

Angelic said:
I have Asperger's if I am not mistaken. It is always going to sleep that is the problem for me.

Yeah, could be related to your Aspergers, I'm the same, I think it's to do with some of us having hyper-sensitivity.

Even than I think ADHD can also cause sleeping problems if I'm not mistaken, usually we have a combination of things.

Now, Asperger isn't a separate diagnosis anymore and is just known as autism from what I've gathered.

I am very much a Night Owl.
I normally go to bed at around 2:00 AM to 2:30 AM.
Of course I am an Aspie too.
But, I do my best thinking/creativity in the late evening from 10:00 PM to around 2:30 AM.
I am not a morning person.

I have ADHD and sometimes can find it difficult to sleep, also most of the time I don't go to sleep until around 2-3am

have you tried taking melatonin supplements? you can get them fairly cheap at drugstores or grocery stores in the vitamin section. i take them all the time when i need to go to bed early and they help a lot to reset my internal clock. plus melatonin is the chemical your brain naturally produces to fall asleep so it's very safe!

I could consider that yes, I am pretty sure I am always going to have problems every now and again, I will see if I can find them anywhere, how much are they on average?

- - - Updated - - -

How often do you take them?

very cheap! i always get the store brand for about $5 CAD. i don't take them very often, only when i feel like i need them but my partner takes them almost every night. usually takes about 10 minutes after i take it and i'm asleep

Stress can often keep me awake at night, and sometimes I'm just not sleepy (I tend to be a night owl). I've found that it's easy to fall into the trap of becoming more stressed as the hours go by and your chance at sleeping passes. :frown: Usually, I'll get up and do something else for a little while, then try again. I've even turned the clock around so that I don't notice how late / early it is getting.

I've also found you can't really "go to sleep" per se so much as let sleep come over you. So, what usually works for me is finding a relaxing distraction so that I'm not thinking about "trying to go to sleep". I've had good luck in the past with watching Bob Ross painting happy little trees...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back