Diaper that can take side-wetting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osito

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Can any disposable diaper take a side-wetting in bed?

If there isn't, then presumably a cloth diaper could take this?

I'm not sure I want to wear cloth in bed - but it would solve this and some other problems - like feeling a bit freer but not leaking after shifting around in the night and ending up pointing up.

In cloth diapers how does your skin get on being wet all night?

Thanks,
Pinguinito

Was having the same problem. Some of the high quality disposable can handle well but I couldn't justify the cost personally . Bought some cloth to test out should be here by Friday can't wait.

I haven't found a disposable diaper that can deal with side wetting. That doesn't mean they don't exist, but I'm not aware of one.

I use pin-on terry squares and my experience has been pretty positive. I do find that my skin seems to feel it a little more than when I was trying to deal with my wetting in disposable diapers - so protecting it with lotion / powder is probably a good idea.

I find Dry 24/7 to work the best for both side and stomach wetting. The fit is real important size wise. If it is too big, it will be more prone to leaking. My issue when I sleep is that I almost always end up "pointing" to the side or up. This makes going while on my back a risky act as the urine finds its way to the sides. Most diapers will then leak, especially if I flood. So I do find it a challange to stay contained. The Dry 24/7 have a lot of capacity and for me, work the best ar preventing a leak. They just are expensive per diaper and I won't wear that often unless I know I will be wearing a good long time.

Unlike cloth, the problem with disposables is that the padding does not extend around the sides. I do not understand why no manufactures provide side padding.

I suspect that almost any disposable diaper will leak if you have a major flood when sleeping on your side. For many years, I experienced almost no leaks at night; but that apparently was because I almost always was lying on my back or stomach when I wet. However, several times recently I've wet while sleeping on my side and had major leaks. This morning I woke up with my pyjamas absolutely soaked on the left side. Thank goodness for the Goodnites bed mat that was on my bed. And the diaper I was wearing was a Rearz Inspire Plus, one of the highest capacity diapers on the market.

i think the reason the sides are free of padding has to do with the diaper fitting under your existing clothing. But, really, a diaper marketed for night time use should have full padding from edge to edge and top to bottom, just like the original Pampers had. I don't think it would be hard to do on today's automated machines. I wonder if you could marry a large insert like the big Abena's with a large disposable bed protector and come up with something.

Right, side padding is the key. Notice that baby disposables have side padding but adult ones don't. Obviously the people who design them have never had to use them.

I like to use flat cloth that I get from www.AdultClothDiaper.com . Even though I am rather thin, I use the largest they have in four layers. (They shrink about 20% in size given the first few washings.) I fold it into a trapezoid to give lots of fabric in the front, and a good snug fit. I almost never have a leak, even on my side. The same supplier has pants like the ones in the ebay mentioned by 2yearold.
I also like the large size diaper pins. They hold up very well, and seem scaled better, 3 inches long. I have a pair for a year without a failure. They are very strong though, and for littles with weak fingers or dexterity troubles, they are not the answer.

It's not a diaper, but I know Abena makes an incontinence pad that's designed for bedwetting men who sleep on their sides. I think it's called Abri-Man, but that might not be right. Either way, you should probably consider it (unless you're double incontinent, though).

I'd recommend a big, washable bed wetter pad to sleep on at night. If you have a few of those, a leak only leads to a quick diaper change and swapping to a dry pad. The reusable pads / mats do not crinkle and are comfortable.

FWIW, many diapers have a much wider coverage in the back, which is indended to ncrease overall capacity overnight. You can take some advantage of this by putting on your diaper backwards so the back is in the front. This will give you improved side padding on many diapers. It also may require someone to diaper and change you if you can't manage to either pretape and shimmy on or tape normal in front, shimmy down, turn around, and shimmy back up.

If you do this, you may need to trim a litle of the sides of the front wings back a bit if the rear padding is overlapping them - you need to keep 100% of that side padding against your skin.

Tentatively switching to disposables from cloth last fall I was and still am dismayed that they are ineffective when sleeping on one’s side and/or pointing up. I got to believe a significant portion of adult diaper sales are used by males at night. Which begs the question, why in the world hasn’t someone marketed a diaper with the bulk of the padding in the front and sides for this group?

Cloud said:
I'd recommend a big, washable bed wetter pad to sleep on at night. If you have a few of those, a leak only leads to a quick diaper change and swapping to a dry pad. The reusable pads / mats do not crinkle and are comfortable.

I like crinkly bed mats! Why don't you like them!?

WBxx said:
Tentatively switching to disposables from cloth last fall I was and still am dismayed that they are ineffective when sleeping on one’s side and/or pointing up. I got to believe a significant portion of adult diaper sales are used by males at night. Which begs the question, why in the world hasn’t someone marketed a diaper with the bulk of the padding in the front and sides for this group?

Speculating... it would increase the cost quite a bit (and thus reduce product sales), and too many of their engineers are just replying "you should be sleeping on your back, pointed down?"

Thanks for all the great advice. I can see I am not the only one struggling with this.

The consensus seems to be that cloth is better for side wetting - and that flat, pinned cloth is best. I tried an all-in-one which was fine until it disintegrated. Cloth pull-on pants look intriguing - but I can't help thinking they would soon disintegrate too. I move around a bit in bed. I don't know how my skin would fare with cloth - but it would probably be OK.

I also considered just ignoring the leaks and putting a big bed pad under me. I had a disposable bed pad under the top sheet - and after last night's major leak I have two. The only problem is that I woke up after leaking and then couldn't get back to sleep - but I think I would get used to it and not wake up so much.

As far as the Engineers who design these things, they do realise that our bits move around by themselves in the night? I'm not IC and am typically awake when I wet - but I still feel like I'm having a shower sometimes even when I lie on my back, and sometimes I wake up pointing up and needing to go - and am sort of stuck (sorry TMI). I'm trying to train myself to lie on my back - but my natural position is on my side - and if I don't think about it I end up wetting on my side.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to get some flat cloth diapers with pins and try them out. Can anyone suggest an English supplier similar to http://www.adultclothdiaper.com ideally that can deliver to a Doddle office? Actually it looks like Cuddlz do terry towelling square diapers - so I'll try one of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Dlsteven said:
Was having the same problem. Some of the high quality disposable can handle well but I couldn't justify the cost personally . Bought some cloth to test out should be here by Friday can't wait.

I hope they work out well. Let me know how you get on.

- - - Updated - - -

bambinod said:
FWIW, many diapers have a much wider coverage in the back, which is indended to ncrease overall capacity overnight. You can take some advantage of this by putting on your diaper backwards so the back is in the front. This will give you improved side padding on many diapers. It also may require someone to diaper and change you if you can't manage to either pretape and shimmy on or tape normal in front, shimmy down, turn around, and shimmy back up.

If you do this, you may need to trim a litle of the sides of the front wings back a bit if the rear padding is overlapping them - you need to keep 100% of that side padding against your skin.

Thanks. That is an interesting approach. I'll try that out.

Last edited:
bambinod said:

This worked brilliantly. Thanks Bambinod. As you say it is a bit difficult to put them on backwards - and would be easier with a helper - but is doable.

Not sure whether a side wetting would be OK - but definitely much better for everything else.

In my experience, either the Bambino Bianco/Classico or Bellisimo diapers are capable of handling a side-wetting.

Cloth actually breathe significantly more than a disposable , I wear cloth overnight every night and my skin is as healthy as can be, and no wet bed in the morning because they are superior protection, especially for a side sleeper, they are also a bit more sturdy shall we say , I have never gotten up in the morning and found myself pointing up or anywhere other than were I left it. No they don't choke you or feel uncomfortable they just don't give in or stretch when the tent pole gets going . Cloth also have one distinct difference from disposables no artificial feeling of dryness and since the entire diaper is absorbent you will feel wet when you are and may feel wet in places you have not felt it before, if you go cloth remember to buy rubber or plastic pants to go over top.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Pinguinito said:
This worked brilliantly. Thanks Bambinod.

One is happy to be of service!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back