Anyone else have FoMO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Argent

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
So I often think of myself not really being a needy or materialistic type of person but I have come to realise that's probably the opposite from reality.

I appreciate I have an addictive personality to things (comic books etc) but rather than just rush out and buy whatever takes my interest I find if I quantify what I am after and then wait a few weeks usually the desire dies down and I don't wind up with things I might just discard later.

All that being said if the object of my desire at the time is of limited run and I might not be able to get what I am interested in I find I get a bit (lot) of a "fear of missing out" anxiety.

Anyone else suffer from this?

I have an addictive personality. It's a big reason why I never tried addictive drugs when I was in college. Unfortunately I did drink, and that continued heavily until I developed an ulcer and had to quit cold turkey. As a musician, I've bought a lot of music equipment, from various sound systems, to keyboards and sound modules. My latest desire is a Yamaha N1, which is quite expensive. The wife has already approved so I've been spending several days organizing all my music, stacking it into crates, just so I'll have a place to move my present 88 key keyboard so I'll have room for the Yamaha.

So yeah, I get these things into my head and then I go crazy, thinking only about that one thing for weeks, months and even years until I get it. It was that way with the 88 key instrument which I bought in 1991, a Korg T 1. Even though it's old, it still has great sounds and I practice my piano pieces on it almost every day.

Sorry Dogboy it's just you and me.... Guess everyone else is normal here... You know what I mean.

I think I have this problem as well.

KryanAshford said:
I think I have this problem as well.

I knew there were more of us! Sorry though it is a bugger in reality.

HypocriticalHit said:
I am definitely this way when it comes to Nintendo games and consoles. Of course, I can never afford them when they come out, so I'm always forced to wait.

Do you mind if I ask, have you actually ever completely missed out or do you find after all the waiting you don't pick up the game/console?

Argent said:
Guess everyone else is normal here... You know what I mean.
yeah, but no need for the insult :disgust:

:biggrin:

i reckon that everybody gets the feeling at some point. I would've had it last week when, as our local DIY store is closing down, i popped in for a few bits before the end, except that their 'everything must go' prices where just bollocks and, even when cheaper than normal, still only the same as Amazon.
the best deal i got from there was a couple of years ago, whilst idly mooching 'round the place: a Ryobi multi-tool kit (like Dremel) for £25. they normally retailed at £80 to £100, so even though i didn't really need one, i got one. well, you would, wouldn't you?
they'd obviously changed their season lines and then found two of these tool-kits somewhere, buried under some other stuff. i've not even used it, yet (the old Dremel still keeps going :giggles:).

I'm like this with certain things, LEGO, computer parts, chemistry lab/glass-ware, anime and Simpsons Tapped Out premium items (a couple thousand dollars worth of stuff :frown: ) and of course diapers... but all this has come to a grinding halt in the past few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back