AB/DLs in College/University

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrincessBella

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
I feel like I never see any threads on here about members of the AB/DL community currently in college.

Are any of you still in college/university? If so, what are you studying, why? Did you just recently graduate, and if so, how was it and what do you plan to do now? :graduate:

I personally just finished up my third year and I am super pumped for the summer (even if that does mean working a lot).

After attending the school of life and majoring in Aerospace Propulsion for 14 years in the United States Air Force with a minor in Aircraft Maintenance Technology and earning my Airframe and Powerplant License, I transferred to COCC for an Associates in Engineering (almost there). Then I will transfer to OSU for Civil Engineering. I study the maths, sciences, and mechanicals because they make much more sense to me than any of the liberal arts. I am just happy that I only had to take three classes that were not math/science related.

Last edited:
Finished up my third year as well. I'm majoring in Digital Media. It's a very broad major but I'm using it to learn 3D Modeling in Maya and additional things in Photoshop. With it I'm planning to work in the video game industry or movies.

Been working on a game idea for awhile now and I'm trying to get the idea off the ground and begin its development.

I'm majoring in English, and I just finished my second year and moved back home for the summer (Which is great because my roommate almost never left the room, never had time to put a diaper on). Anyway, I want to be a story writer and like Baxton I want to work in the video game industry.

YoungYoshi said:
I'm majoring in English, and I just finished my second year and moved back home for the summer (Which is great because my roommate almost never left the room, never had time to put a diaper on). Anyway, I want to be a story writer and like Baxton I want to work in the video game industry.

Awesome! Always happy to meet someone shooting for the same field. Do you have a particular company in mind you'd want to work for?

Baxton said:
Awesome! Always happy to meet someone shooting for the same field. Do you have a particular company in mind you'd want to work for?

Oh, that's a tough question. If I had to narrow it down, my top 3 choices would be Bungie, Bethesda, and 343 Industries.

Currently a senior in college studying computer science, considering going after a master's but I'm not quite there yet.

Taking a summer course this year because it's a requirement at my university if I opted out of living in the dorms.

Also had intentions of going into the game industry, however; I might just settle for a job in firmware.

YoungYoshi said:
Oh, that's a tough question. If I had to narrow it down, my top 3 choices would be Bungie, Bethesda, and 343 Industries.

Oh nice! Those are some awesome companies for sure. My main goal is to work for Insomniac, but other than that I don't really know. ^^

Probably should begin looking at other places, maybe Ubisoft and Naughty Dog would be a possibility.

Gatroz said:
Currently a senior in college studying computer science, considering going after a master's but I'm not quite there yet.

Taking a summer course this year because it's a requirement at my university if I opted out of living in the dorms.

Also had intentions of going into the game industry, however; I might just settle for a job in firmware.

Computer Science always sounds like a solid major. Feels like there's always someone looking for a programmer. Which language do you like the best to code in? I was going to go into CS but I quickly learned I wasn't that good at it :p

Baxton said:
Computer Science always sounds like a solid major. Feels like there's always someone looking for a programmer. Which language do you like the best to code in? I was going to go into CS but I quickly learned I wasn't that good at it :p

There's certainly always something to do, which is pretty exciting! At the moment I'm most comfortable with c++ just for the reason that my university drilled that language into me.

As for not being too good at it, I wasn't too good when I started out either, I struggled quite the bit early on in my Visual Basic class in high school, but after seeing something once you just kinda start picking up on methods and it becomes that much easier with some experience.
So, if you're still interested there is plenty of content out there which can help guide you along the way, all you need to do is ask ^^

I'm soon finished with the fourth and final year in animation, though I'll have to practice with CG and experiment more with animation before I try getting work in the field.

Gatroz said:
There's certainly always something to do, which is pretty exciting! At the moment I'm most comfortable with c++ just for the reason that my university drilled that language into me.

As for not being too good at it, I wasn't too good when I started out either, I struggled quite the bit early on in my Visual Basic class in high school, but after seeing something once you just kinda start picking up on methods and it becomes that much easier with some experience.
So, if you're still interested there is plenty of content out there which can help guide you along the way, all you need to do is ask ^^

Oh awesome! I really wanted to learn C++ but my school really shoved java. I didn't do well in it :p

But yeah, I'll probably look for some guides,
see what I can find :)

Is there a language you want to learn? I've been hearing about python picking up.

amon said:
I'm soon finished with the fourth and final year in animation, though I'll have to practice with CG and experiment more with animation before I try getting work in the field.

Sweet! I love animation. The only thing I've animated is a model and camera turning in Maya :p I've done some 2D but nothing really good.

What got you into studying animation if you don't mind me asking?

Baxton said:
Oh awesome! I really wanted to learn C++ but my school really shoved java. I didn't do well in it :p

But yeah, I'll probably look for some guides,
see what I can find :)

Is there a language you want to learn? I've been hearing about python picking up.

Python is interesting for sure, Java and C# are probably more of a priority in terms of job hunting though.

Yeah, they are more universal and commonly used.

That'll be exciting to job search for! Best of luck with that :)

Thanks, Baxton ^^

Baxton said:
What got you into studying animation if you don't mind me asking?

I wanted to improve my drawing skills since I want to make Comics for a living. Also one of my best friends from High School also wanted to study animation, which made moving out from home more easier. :p

amon said:
I wanted to improve my drawing skills since I want to make Comics for a living. Also one of my best friends from High School also wanted to study animation, which made moving out from home more easier. :p

Cool! Wish I could say I read a lot of comics but I just never know which to begin with. I tried making a comic before but I have a bad habit of not finishing what I start (unless it's school related) :p

But that's really cool! Comics seem to be flourishing more and there's much more you can do with them now-a-days. Like those motion comics. Maybe could be incorporated with VR headsets in the future.

That's great! It's always nice to have some familiar faces in a new place. And that they like the same thing just makes it better.

Baxton said:
Cool! Wish I could say I read a lot of comics but I just never know which to begin with. I tried making a comic before but I have a bad habit of not finishing what I start (unless it's school related) :p

I have the same problem with animations. I start off doing a simple thing (like a jump or something), then it escalates into some complex, camera movement, somersault jumps thingy. Then I start doing something else again. :p

As for comics, well it's just like a TV series really. Just find a genre you like and go from there.

Haha yeah. I especially get that way when I paint something. Working on something right now and I'm really trying hard not to stop working, because if I do I might not go back to it ^^

Thinking on it now, I do keep up with Zoophobia. Though the author seems to be on hiatus.

I am currently in my second quarter for a PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision.

Code said:
I am currently in my second quarter for a PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision.

Sounds really fancy :eek:

So what does that entail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back