Sleeping Without Protection - Research Related Question. No Fantasies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWolfEmperor

Contributor
I'm writing a story that involves a main character who has suffered from nocturnal enuresis all of his life. The story is not about his incontinence, it's just something he has dealt with.

My question is this:

Those of you who are genuinely incontinent and have had nights where you could not afford the medications or the protections necessary to be partly dry: How long did it take you to wake up after an episode?

Please, no fantasy related posts. Genuine answers only, please.

Normally I wake up at my normal time 7am, not being aware that I have wet the bed.

I normally wake up as I'm wetting, as in I'm woken up by the urge, but it's already too late.

I don't know until I wake up and find the bed protector and my pj's soaked. I have had times where I can feel that I'm wetting the bed but I'm not totally awake and always mange to fall asleep straight away but that happens about once a month.

Firehawk said:
I don't know until I wake up and find the bed protector and my pj's soaked. I have had times where I can feel that I'm wetting the bed but I'm not totally awake and always mange to fall asleep straight away but that happens about once a month.

This .. when I wet unprotected I sort of know I wet the bed but its sort of like a dream state and I am right back to sleep. 2nd wetting I never wake up

chamberpot said:
This .. when I wet unprotected I sort of know I wet the bed but its sort of like a dream state and I am right back to sleep. 2nd wetting I never wake up

Yeah exactly it's like a dream.

Thank you for the responses so far.

No matter howwet I am I always sleep through until my alarm goes. I've always slept through my bedwetting.

Well my first time wetting the bed was in a Hospital, the nurses woke me because i wet so bad the halway got wet, they changed my bed and room so i did not have to be up the rest of the night well the flood was dealt with, they did however ask me to sleep on a bariatric diaper and kinda bunch it around my junk, i refused and said get one my size and i will wear it,i obvisously need it and from that day forward have worn 24/7 and cathed 5 times a day this is 20+ years that my urologist has treated me for incon bedwetting and retention i have a neurogenic bladder, enlarged prostate, oversize bladder, incon, functional incon. Any questions for specific details you may want feel free to ask , i realize that you are creating a character that this is just part of his life , but the books that become best sellers build a compeling "backstory" of the characters so people feel a true connection to the character and even if incon or bedwetting is just one facet of the character overall if your book becomes a hit and future Sequels or Prequels are then written you can expand the characters backstory into books of there own about his specific life experiences that make them who they are,just as real people are composites of there past life experiences everything we as humans in our current day are based on a past experience that we learned from and therefore shaped or molded our personalties.

Tetra said:
Any questions for specific details you may want feel free to ask

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I just did. I thank you for your response in regards to the question, but the rest of what you typed is superfluous and not at all what I asked for.

I would normally wake up at my normal time though sometimes earlier (especially on cold nights as a wet sheet is very good at making you feel the cold). Occasionally I would wake up whilst wetting, usually during a dream about urinating, but that used to be infrequent.

Thankfully I conquered my nocturnal enuresis a number of years ago so this information is from memory rather than recent experience.

I wake up quickly in the middle of the night and wet or mess effortlessly less then a minute later every night

I do not feel anything during the night when the pee flows, simply wake up in the morning with my diaper full (or dry), or my bed wet if the protection did not work (such things happen). Only once I remember how I felt the pee flowed which was something like a semi-dreem when I was seing myself in bed sleeping and my bladder opened and urine started to stream out, but I could non do anything about it to stop. Immediately after that I woke up, but it was too late because the diaper was already full. During my lifetime I had many accidents, including cases when I slept without protection and found myself in wet bed in the morning (my parents for one period if time decided to follow an advice from some doctor who told them that if the girl sleeps several wet nights finding herself in wet bed in the morning she would overgrow her problem and would stop bedwetting).

alexandradomaseva said:
(my parents for one period if time decided to follow an advice from some doctor who told them that if the girl sleeps several wet nights finding herself in wet bed in the morning she would overgrow her problem and would stop bedwetting).

It sounds like your doctor would also advise the parents of a deaf person, "If you yell at her long enough, eventually she will wake up one morning and hear everything as clear as rain."

I often wet at night. Sometimes unconsciously, and sometimes consciously.

When I wake up with an urge, I will normally roll onto my back and knowing that I am protected with a diaper I can let go and drift back into sleep.

When I do not wake up when wetting, I will normally wake up after wetting in association with turning my position and feel that my diaper is soggy or feeling that my t-shirt or sheets are damp (if the Dry 24/7 diaper leaks). If I am 2 hours or less from getting up for the morning I will just stay in a wet diaper. If 2+ hours I will generally change my diaper. If my shirt is wet I will get up and change my shirt and put a towel on the sheets to sleep on and absorb excess moisture and then change the sheets later.

Last edited:
When I was younger (about 10-11) there was a period when I preferred to sleep without protection (I wasn't an overly intelligent child considering my IQ of 145 - yet again proving that IQ means essentially nothing), and generally awoke around 1-2AM. However, now (as I often use one of those reusable absorbent sheets due to cost (and can I just mention how horribly uncomfortable and sweaty they can get in the summer heat) (sorry if that's a bit graphic for you)) I tend to wake up around 7AM as usual when I have a wet night. When I have protection, I tend to wake up as usual unless I'm on the verge of leaking (sleeping on your side can spell disaster) when I'll wake up whenever I get uncomfortable. Hope this helps!

Thank you again, everyone. Keep em' coming if you still want to chime in.

Being wet rarely wakes me.

Modern high-capacity disposables absorb so fast and so completely that I usually don't even know I'm wet until I take it off in the morning. If they leak (up to a couple of cups), the plastic keeps me from feeling it until morning. I'll wake up with a wet spot on my pyjamas and the bed pad.

A few times a year, I will completely flood out a diaper and soak the bed to a puddle. I wake up, shower and change. I don't know how long I'm on the puddle before I wake up, but the urine puddle is cold (which I assume is what wakes me up).

When I was using the disposables that I could get at the drugstore (Attends or Depend), I would usually wake up soon after wetting. They were very uncomfortable when wet, like wearing a water balloon, and they would just fall apart when soaked. I flooded one out about once a week. I'm not sure whether it was the sodden disposable or the wet bed that woke me

When I was a teenager, I wet almost every night and wore cloth diapers. I usually woke up during the night with a wet diaper, I suppose when the wetness got too uncomfortable. I always got up immediately, washed and put on cream and a fresh diaper. I never got a diaper rash, even though I wore a cloth diaper and wet almost every night.

For several long periods in my life, my wetting was down to a few times a year. I stopped wearing a diaper during those times. Whenever I wet without a diaper, I woke up right away. I wet really heavily, and I couldn't sleep in a puddle. I never woke up while I was wetting, though.

When I used to wet as a child, I would usually wake up either just before or just as it was starting. I wasn't a heavy wetter, but more of a regular leaker or dribbler. If I was overly tired or perhaps unwell, I'd be more prone to sleeping through it.

I would usually wet perhaps 3-4 times a week, but as I said, it wasn't heavy. Generally I'd have some sort of standard "pee-dream," where I'd be looking for a toilet or something, and the end result would be finally getting to let go. But mostly I'd start lightly leaking in my sleep, and I'd wake up just as I started to feel wetness.

I know you are asking about being unprotected, but I usually wore thick terry cloth training pants with plastic panties. These were usually adequate to contain my light leakage. Until the age of 10, I wore a disposable diaper on the weekends, as I was allowed to stay up late, therefore making me more tired and prone to a heavy wetting. But it didn't necessarily mean I would wet heavier, but there was more chance of it happening.

But for some reason I would still manage to sleep right through a full wetting during the week while wearing only my trainers, probably once every 2-3 weeks. When this happened, my trainers and plastic pants may as well not been there, as I'd totally flood myself and wake up later in a soggy bed.

Oddly enough, I don't recall ever waking up while totally soaking my training pants, but I do remember waking up while peeing flat out in my nappy, momentarily panicking, then realising that I was diapered and feeling relief.

But if I was just in trainers, I'd sometimes still be asleep in soaked sheets when mum would wake me in the morning, or I'd wake up in the middle of the night cold and wet and have to wake her up to help.

On the rare nights I wasn't wearing any protection, I usually didn't sleep well at all as I'd be constantly getting up to pee "just in case".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back