Status
Not open for further replies.

sissybaby34

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
Is it just me or do other members here find some of the bad spelling and grammar in some of the posts irritating? I can understand it when you are using it to emphasize a "baby" or "little" post but in a normal conversation it gets a bit much. I know I am not the worlds best speller and struggled with it all through school and college. These days there is so much help within computer programs that there is no reason for bad spelling to be there.
Sometimes with some of the posts I just switch off and stop reading.

Yes, I find it annoying. My attention span can be a bit short sometimes, and long, rambling blocks of text often do not hold my attention. I understand that some people have learning disabilities, speak English as a second language, etc., but others should at least try to make their posts readable.

Yes. I like long, detailed posts, but don't like deliberate baby style talk. Very annoying.

Psst, OP, you forgot an apostrophe on "worlds." It should be "world's" instead.

At any rate, I try to just work around it. I'd prefer if posts were more readable, but I also feel like I can be flexible, whereas for some people the baby talk style posts really make them feel good and I don't mind that much.

Whether or not bad spelling & grammar annoys me depends on the context. If it's posters using 'baby talk' to sound cute, or purely a matter of laziness, then I find it irritating. However, I'm aware that as with any community, we're going to have some people who are more literate and eloquent than others. So if I believe it's a user whose less polished communication is down to their academic limitations, then I've no issue with it.

It used to bother me, but people on the internet often type fast just to get out an idea quickly and can't be bothered to spellcheck. I've gotten used to it.

And it's much more tolerable than the 13375P3@K that used to go around back in 2006.

Usually, I can ignore the small mistakes. If the whole post is atrociously typed, then I ignore the whole post (and in most cases, all other posts from that user). If people expect others to take them seriously, they should be respectful enough to proofread their posts before they actually make them.

On the matter of learning disabilities, I'm willing to be more lenient, unless the individual constantly uses it as a crutch deliberately to absolve them of poor typing.

Well in my case I reverse letters that's is why I do not text chat.
I can read fine but when it comes to getting it out of my head it's so hard .
I struggle so much .
Some time's it take's me 45 minutes to do a post I do my best .
The faster I go the more messed up it gets.

Hi guys

I know it irritates you.

But I am trying my best when posting to at least get the spelling correct.

I do have severe dyslexia along with other stuff. So my posts will not be grammar perfect.

And the odd spelling will come out.

I do run it through a spell check before posting, and i do read through. I even use a font at the size that I find it easier to read.

Anyway there you go. That me

Sisi the wonder kid.

Hee hee.

......Me I like to space out my responses to posts with dots or periods. I do this because of how I am use to doing it on Face book. Hopefully it has not bothered any of you.
......On the other hand; I have a disability as well. My disability deals with talking to people in person. I am down right lousy when it comes to predicting when is the right moment to say something. I often talk over people and interrupt without even realizing it sometimes. It is annoying to people.
.....I also cant speak as good as I write. So I often confuse people when its in person. When I am really tired no one is able to understand me. My point is that I understand when it comes to trying to communicate. If something is not easy for you than you struggle especially when you have a disability.
......It does not bother me when I see poor spelling and grammar because truth is for some people that is their struggle in life. I will be honest though; if I cant understand what your saying then I skip over. Not being mean or rude. It is just that I don't understand what your saying.

Well, I stopped reading Sisi's posts because I couldn't handle the "Sisi hear" in the salutation.

And believe it or not, I'm not picking on Sisi ... I'm trying to answer the OP's question.

I think there's a difference between genuine dyslexia (for which I have great sympathy) and the essential grammar most of us learned in grade school.

The Millennium generation has effectively crippled itself by learning to text rather than write. Unless you're content to work at minimum wage all your life (nothing wrong with that!) most real jobs still require the ability to construct a correct sentence. Turn off the spell-check, buy a dictionary, and learn to communicate via the written word!

sbmccue said:
Well, I stopped reading Sisi's posts because I couldn't handle the "Sisi hear" in the salutation.

And believe it or not, I'm not picking on Sisi ... I'm trying to answer the OP's question.

I think there's a difference between genuine dyslexia (for which I have great sympathy) and the essential grammar most of us learned in grade school.

The Millennium generation has effectively crippled itself by learning to text rather than write. Unless you're content to work at minimum wage all your life (nothing wrong with that!) most real jobs still require the ability to construct a correct sentence. Turn off the spell-check, buy a dictionary, and learn to communicate via the written word!

That's actually the example I'd use for trying to be tolerant. You could easily skip the first line of Sisi's posts and he's got some very interesting things to say that aren't too hard to read.

I don't have a problem with the occasional spelling error or grammar mistakes. I'm a terrible speller but I can recognize the word in red letters, and I know what it should look like correctly spelled. I'm very accepting of people who struggle with grammar and spelling, and as long as the sentence makes sense, I read the thread. There have been some threads that were so poorly worded that I had no idea what they were asking.

What usually causes me to not read a post is if there is a large, wall of text. Trying to read a page with no paragraphs wears my eyes out.

I read Sisi's and other similar posts all the time. I am very tolerant of learning disabilities. I have seen many, many mistakes here by many, many members especially when arguments get heated. I myself will read and reread my posts only to see a mistake later on. You'll see the "edit" memo at the bottom of my posts. I'm getting excited for Sisi's birthday surprises!

ADISC is an ABDL forum not a English class so I do not like it when people pick on other's writing skills. I know mine are far from perfect too. There are or at least were rules against using baby talk so the Mods should take care of that.

Well, it pees me off when people ignore the content based on the grammatical errors, and spelling errors.

I'l go into a bit of detail why, I don't have a learning disability, though I know people who do and have close friends who do, and they often have worse spelling then me, its understandable, and I help them often with there spelling, that being said, I'm awful at grammar and spelling, well bad for my age that is, being 18 I should be able to use correct grammar, and spell most things.

A lot of my spelling issues, are related due to my hearing impairment, that being said, I had a terrible primary school education, the school I went too sucked quite bad, most people who came out of there had awful spelling, and I mean awful, I could barely spell basic words, my spelling has improved massively since the last 5 years, due to me reading very often and teaching myself how to spell in small ways, I can spell most words but at times, I sometimes forget how words fit together, because I spell things how I hear them, the English language is quite confusing.

I myself could be dyslexic, but its mostly with spelling words or visualizing them, sometimes I would spell basic words wrong, and see them differently or when I don't write for a while, I accidentally write numbers in reverse, if that makes some sense, I can't explain it, but I can read on a above average level, I've always been a very good reader, some people are stronger in other areas.

I understand where you coming from, it does irritate me when some people cannot spell basic words, but I can also understand that not everyone thinks the same way, and isn't a real reflection of there intelligence, some people just either have some form of dyslexia, hearing problems or a learning disability, that being said, I can understand how both ends feel.

What does pee me off though, is I could write something very meaningful, have one spelling mistake, people either ignore the content, insult my intelligence, or call me retarded, which does drive me to the point that I don't even want to bother expressing my thoughts online anymore because some people like to pick at the smallest things, and make your life hell, just for forgetting a comma or using the wrong form of the word, I wasn't ever taught it in primary school that well, and kind of self taught myself most of what I know, I've come a long way.

What i really dislike is those people who just ignore content due to spelling errors or a grammatical mistake, I used to run a blog back in the day, and it flopped due to grammar nazis trolling me, compared to some, my spelling and grammar isn't even that bad either, a huge portion of the internet are grammar nazis and that does pee me off, I often do have difficultly mostly with grammar, it's not my fault, I find it confusing, because a lot of the time, the rules make absolutely no sense to me what I mean is things like.

Two, too and to, there, their and they, It's like what the hell half the time.

I do feel like those who have trouble spelling, do get discriminated against a lot, what I mean by that is people will ignore anything we have to say, if there are spelling mistakes, It does drive me nuts, because it does take me a lot of effort to write and check though it, a lot of the time, from what I've seen a few friends go though is that a lot of the time there spelling is so bad, that even spell check won't pick it up, I'm not even kidding, when I was younger, I use to have the same problem, and It is very frustrating because even if you google search the word, you can never find the correct spelling of it.

The best way I could explain this, is if you spelt things very wrong like exceptional: extpectinel, exmentalient (excellent) It will show up as wrong, but it will never find the correct spelling for you, and is a lot of the time, a pain.

That being said that is just my thoughts on this, that being said, I too get peed off when there are so many mistakes in someones post, however most people aren't doing this on purpose, and a lot of the time, they don't have someone else to help them point out what the word is, some people spell words that bad that even spell check won't even find the correct form of the word, often its close, but its way off, and yeah, its not perfect yet, what I'm thinking is sites could start integrating things like text to speech for dyslexic people and making text bigger, I think it would be a major improvement for most sites tbh.

I don't mean for any of this to be taken the wrong why, I'm just explaining my personal thoughts on this subject, I'm just explaining how I feel about it all.

In the forums that I read, I rarely come across posts that I fine really bad. For me, the three worst examples are (in no particular order):

One long sentence or paragraph - this makes reading the post very tiring and hard to read

Weird fonts/colors: On my monitor, black on white, standard font shows up best. Some other fonts are ok (sisi's for example). There was someone a while ago that liked to use pink. I always had to adjust my monitor to read those posts and then reset my monitor.

Incoherent: There have been some posts that I have read that when I finished reading the post, I had no idea what the poster was trying to say.

Like many other posters, I am not a great speller and my grammar is not all that good but I can generally 'fix' the post in my mind and understand the point that the poster is trying to make.

And I have never criticized a poster directly as I find it impossible to determine if a person is lazy or not and being lazy is the only reason I would complain.

Babies and little's haven't been to school yet to know what is and is not correct !
So with that noted just being able to communicate in raw terms with basic punctuation
and the help of auto-correct spelling should be enough to pass the elementary test here.
The main thing is to get the message and thought across about the ABDL life !

DrunkBunny said:
Well, it pees me off when people ignore the content based on the grammatical errors, and spelling errors.

I'l go into a bit of detail why, I don't have a learning disability, though I know people who do and have close friends who do, and they often have worse spelling then me, its understandable, and I help them often with there spelling, that being said, I'm awful at grammar and spelling, well bad for my age that is, being 18 I should be able to use correct grammar, and spell most things.

A lot of my spelling issues, are related due to my hearing impairment, that being said, I had a terrible primary school education, the school I went too sucked quite bad, most people who came out of there had awful spelling, and I mean awful, I could barely spell basic words, my spelling has improved massively since the last 5 years, due to me reading very often and teaching myself how to spell in small ways, I can spell most words but at times, I sometimes forget how words fit together, because I spell things how I hear them, the English language is quite confusing.

I myself could be dyslexic, but its mostly with spelling words or visualizing them, sometimes I would spell basic words wrong, and see them differently or when I don't write for a while, I accidentally write numbers in reverse, if that makes some sense, I can't explain it, but I can read on a above average level, I've always been a very good reader, some people are stronger in other areas.

I understand where you coming from, it does irritate me when some people cannot spell basic words, but I can also understand that not everyone thinks the same way, and isn't a real reflection of there intelligence, some people just either have some form of dyslexia, hearing problems or a learning disability, that being said, I can understand how both ends feel.

What does pee me off though, is I could write something very meaningful, have one spelling mistake, people either ignore the content, insult my intelligence, or call me retarded, which does drive me to the point that I don't even want to bother expressing my thoughts online anymore because some people like to pick at the smallest things, and make your life hell, just for forgetting a comma or using the wrong form of the word, I wasn't ever taught it in primary school that well, and kind of self taught myself most of what I know, I've come a long way.

What i really dislike is those people who just ignore content due to spelling errors or a grammatical mistake, I used to run a blog back in the day, and it flopped due to grammar nazis trolling me, compared to some, my spelling and grammar isn't even that bad either, a huge portion of the internet are grammar nazis and that does pee me off, I often do have difficultly mostly with grammar, it's not my fault, I find it confusing, because a lot of the time, the rules make absolutely no sense to me what I mean is things like.

Two, too and to, there, their and they, It's like what the hell half the time.

I do feel like those who have trouble spelling, do get discriminated against a lot, what I mean by that is people will ignore anything we have to say, if there are spelling mistakes, It does drive me nuts, because it does take me a lot of effort to write and check though it, a lot of the time, from what I've seen a few friends go though is that a lot of the time there spelling is so bad, that even spell check won't pick it up, I'm not even kidding, when I was younger, I use to have the same problem, and It is very frustrating because even if you google search the word, you can never find the correct spelling of it.

The best way I could explain this, is if you spelt things very wrong like exceptional: extpectinel, exmentalient (excellent) It will show up as wrong, but it will never find the correct spelling for you, and is a lot of the time, a pain.

That being said that is just my thoughts on this, that being said, I too get peed off when there are so many mistakes in someones post, however most people aren't doing this on purpose, and a lot of the time, they don't have someone else to help them point out what the word is, some people spell words that bad that even spell check won't even find the correct form of the word, often its close, but its way off, and yeah, its not perfect yet, what I'm thinking is sites could start integrating things like text to speech for dyslexic people and making text bigger, I think it would be a major improvement for most sites tbh.

I don't mean for any of this to be taken the wrong why, I'm just explaining my personal thoughts on this subject, I'm just explaining how I feel about it all.

:wts6Ar:

- - - Updated - - -

sbmccue said:

Hi sbmccue.

Turning off the spell check and using a dictionary would not work. Becouse you need to know how the spell a word before you can look it up in a dictionary.

I would love just to type something with out having to check the spelling.

I use TTS & STT software. ( TTS is text to speech and SST is speech to text)

TTS helps me to understand what someone else has written as reading big words kind of put me off as i have to spend so much energy in reading the word that I lose the content of what I am reading. I also find it harder if it is not formatted in a certain way.

STT. Is only 80% accurate. It will give you the correct spelling but it will be the spelling of what did has heard not necessary what you have said. So this needs checking out as well and all this takes time.

I have put some YouTube clips up which I hope will make people understand dyslexia a bit better. And ADHD.

It's all part of mixed up kid that is Sisi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEpBujdee8M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zafiGBrFkRM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU6o2_UFSEY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

P.s it has taken me an hour to put this reply together.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back