New Version of Goodnites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdlrfootedpjs

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
Just to let those of you who use them know there is a new version of goodnites out in the stores.

Instead of the 25% more stretchier statement on the front of the bag they now state "5 Layer Protection" which is an increase in absorbency.

They are a bit thicker than the previous version in the XL size, however no changes otherwise.

That's interesting. I know parents have complained. The nice thing about buying through Amazon is that they have real buyers rate the products, and if you read those, there are a lot of complaints from parents about leaking. I guess the company took them seriously.

We could use some before and after shots.

Will be looking forward to trying them soon. I use sleep pants rather than diapers and been begrudgingly am making my way through I'll fitting store brand ones.

Sorry, I have no way of giving you photos where I am at currently. I just saw them while on vacation with family in Florida and couldn't buy them.

I found these pictures in some of the Kimberly Clark XML data after reading this topic.

Goodnites S/M 5-Layer Protection (Boys - Ironman) #1
http://www.gdalint.kimberly-clark.com/STEP/ImageStore/445509.jpg

Goodnites S/M 5-Layer Protection (Boys - Ironman) #2
http://www.gdalint.kimberly-clark.com/STEP/ImageStore/445505.jpg

Goodnites S/M 5-Layer Protection (Girls - Cinderalla) #1
http://www.gdalint.kimberly-clark.com/STEP/ImageStore/445512.jpg

Goodnites S/M 5-Layer Protection (Girls - Cinderalla) #2
http://www.gdalint.kimberly-clark.com/STEP/ImageStore/445519.jpg

I noticed the new boxes as well but I don't think that it's a change in design. There are normally many layers in the design (from top to bottom in the 5-layer picture on the packages): outer cloth-like cover, plastic moisture barrier, inner cloth-like cover, absorbent core (cottony material and superabsorbent polymer crystals), and inner permeable cover. That's 5 layers (there's also the surge pad in the central section between the core and inner layer, to spread fluid around).

Just consider how many layers it must have to even function: plastic outer layer (crinkly!), absorbent core, and inner permeable barrier. So the extra two layers are just the sound-dampening cover and cloth-like cover. Only the absorbent layer actually does the work, along with the plastic barrier to keep it from soaking through. The others aren't there for protection, just other functions. So I see it as just an excuse to update the packaging. Note that it doesn't say "new" by the 5-layer diagram.

With an issue like occasional leaks, it's easy to be told that it's been improved and then to believe that they are happening less often. Placebo 101.

But hey, I'd be glad to be shown wrong and that they have been improved!

Are you sure that they are thicker? Sadly, it's way more common for Goodnites to simply change the package, than actually change the product. Every so often you'd see "New and Improved" appear on the pack, and nothing was actually changed on the product itself. I'm kind of thinking like Prairie, and that there wasn't actually a product change.

For reference, a pre-5-layer-packaging L/XL pant weighs about 56 grams.

Has the new 5 layer packaging been added to the L/XL size, or is it only S/M?

allcy said:
Goodnites S/M 5-Layer Protection (Girls - Cinderalla) #1
http://www.gdalint.kimberly-clark.com/STEP/ImageStore/445512.jpg

Goodnites S/M 5-Layer Protection (Girls - Cinderalla) #2
http://www.gdalint.kimberly-clark.com/STEP/ImageStore/445519.jpg

Cinderella ?!

Nooooo, what happened to Tinkerbell, it was perfect for goodnites :'(
I might as well stock up for the upcoming shortage of tinkerbell diapers.

Regarding this new layer, has anyone be able to get their hands on the new ones and made any comparison ?

I still have an extra Goodnite I never used. I can do a comparison if I ever get them again (unlikely, but I think I've had that pullup for over a year now)

koda42 said:
Nooooo, what happened to Tinkerbell, it was perfect for goodnites :'(

tinklebell?

Yes it has.

5thgear said:

Will check for new packs soon, but knowing my luck here in Canada, currently I have problems finding the new 25% stretchier ones, looks like they have a good stock of the ones that came just before at my Wal-Mart, I had to grab a pack at a higher price at my local pharmacy to get the 25% stretchier ones again. Will keep an eye for them next week but I'm gonna bet I'll see them this spring or early summer at best here.

I found the new 5 layer goodnites at Walmart, but they only have them in 34 packs and I don't feel compelled to blow $28 on a box of them. Nobody else in town has the new goodnites in smaller packs yet.

I've seen this sort of thing before. Either they actually did make a change, or it's just a marketing strategy, promoting a already known feature that maybe many folks didn't pick up on before. Kinda hoping they are more absorbent though.

I have a few packs of the new 5 layer protection Goodnites. I am testing them, and have easily used 15 or 20 so far. In a month or so I I ill make a new thread with some specific results.... For now, what I can say is that the size is very similar to the previous version.. possibly *slightly* larger.

The absorbency is EXTREMELY mixed. Sometimes they will hold a lot, whereas others, its like they forgot to add the sap, and they hold next to nothing. I sometimes wonder if they have any Quality Control. I have noticed some of this variability in previous versions, but within these 3 packs its extreme. On the packs that have diapers with codes( on the back right) ending in A or F, its almost like 1/3 to 1/2 of the diapers are under filled/ not filled.

I took 4 or 5 of them ( without looking at the ending letter on the back right) and put them in the bathtub and they did NOT swell up or hold as much water as the previous version... which was disappointing, but I wont draw a definitive conclusion yet, from just a few packs, with diapers of highly variable performance at the beginning of a new design.

They do seem a bit better at taking floods. I think the new padding can absorb faster, and wick much better. It seems like it does a really good job of moving urine through the full length of the pad. When it is first wet with a decent amount of urine... say a 10-15 second flood, the diaper gets a bit stiff ( which I like) Another 15 seconds or so and it gets soft and squishy.

One issue I have is that even for the diapers that do have a lot of SAP, when they start getting full , the crotch starts to sweat/get damp, and also, if you walk and put some pressure on the region, a teaspoon or two of urine will leak out.

Here's an example: This morning, I woke up and had to pee, so I put on a new goodnites. I emptied ~ 90% of my bladder in 2 floods ( 25-30 seconds the first time, and maybe another 20 seconds the second time) This used almost all of the capacity of the diaper and initially, literally just a couple of small drops of pee leaked but after 2-3 minutes, the crotch got damp, and when I walked to turn on the lights, maybe 1 teaspoon of urine leaked to my pajama bottoms.

I also noticed that with the new padding, I tend to get some of the absorbent crystals on my penis. I do get quasihard in the diaper at times, and that can place additional pressure on the padding, but I didn't notice this as much with the previous version. I do wish there was a little more room in the crotch as my junk tends to hang down a bit, and when full, it can put some uncomfortable pressure on my balls.

Edit: **** One thing I noticed is that the new packaging says "More absorbent than training pants" whereas the old packaging says " 0% more absorbent than training pants" That alone make me wonder if they have decreased the absorbency.... If they are now only 25 or 30% more absorbent, they wouldn't want to advertise a downgrade ****

That's all I have for now, but in the relatively near future, I will make a new post with a more detailed and quantitative comparison and write up. Has anyone else tried the new goodnites? Would anyone else like to help with the comparison and measurement?

Last edited:
curious88 said:
They do seem a bit better at taking floods. I think the new padding can absorb faster, and wick much better.

Do a blinded test where you mix some of these with previous ones so that you can't tell the difference by sight/feel, and see whether you can reliably tell which are the new (put a hidden mark on them to tell which is which after each trial). Otherwise it's easily just placebo. Since the packaging doesn't say new, I'm highly skeptical that there was any change in the process with the pants in this new packaging.

Also, KCC is receptive to reports of poor quality, so I recommend contacting them about the quality issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back