Tykables Overnight: Underwhelmed :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhHeyThere

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hey all,
I know this is technically a review, but since it isn't as comprehensive and it's mainly my opinion, I decided to post it anyway :p

So I just got through a sampling of Tykables size 1 and 2, and I thought I'd share my feelings.

There were some good things about the diapers: the print (slightly loud, but overall nice), the tapes were extremely grippy, and the elastic was form-fitting; I didn't have any leaks. But I was rather underwhelmed for a few reasons...

Sizing: I'm a 36" waist, so that puts me at the top end of size 1 and the bottom of size 2. Size 1 was too tight, and 2 was so big, it rose up my back about halfway to my shoulders :S I think Tykables might benefit from making a size 1.5 for those of us awkwardly in between the sizes.

Absorbancy: while the overnight was able to take 2 almost catastrophic floods, and expand to near-comical proportions, afterwards it felt like I was sitting in a pile of Jell-O brand gelatine. This is probably due to the abundance of absorbent polymers and lack of pulp. Though I enjoy the feeling of being wet and squishy just as much as anyone else, I still like the diaper to feel soft and mostly intact, i.e. Bambinos or ABUs. And while it didn't leak, I feel like if I were in lying position during the second flood, I would have gotten the bed sheets quite wet. This might be a personal thing, and it might be because of a few factors, just thought it was worth mentioning.

I got this sample in hopes of finding something new to get excited about, but I was overall underwhelmed with my experience. I'd give the diaper a 6.5/10. It was a fun experience to try something new, but for now, I'll stick with the ABU Space as my favorite.

Diaper on!

I don't know what the differences are between their Snuggies branded overnights but I bought 80 of those a while ago and have been using them since, I've gone as far as to wet them several times with a few big ones and haven't had leaking problems while sitting laying, etc. The only time they ever leaked on me is when I was in an awkward position and it spilled over the leak guard and onto my onesie.

I personally love them, they are absorbent, fit great, like the higher riser, love the patterns, they make me fell little when I change them

They tykables overnights are surprisingly absorbent, in my experience. They do swell a lot and get really squishy, as you mentioned, but they'll usually hold up to that last wetting you're not quite sure about. They're actually about the same absorbency as a regular bambino, though less than a bellisimo.

I rather like the different feel of them though, as a change of pace from some of the other types. Variety is the spice of life. ;)

I'm glad you stated this is completely your own opinion because i entirely disagree. I've been using overnights since they were released and still love them. I actually just bought half a case of Littlepawz expecting these to be a game changer since everyone loved the Space so much, but i'm actually finding myself disappointed with them.

Everyone said the space/littlepawz had the best tapes, i think overnights are actually much better. Like you i am at that awkward 36" waist size, i found the overnights mediums to be a bit tight but doable, with the larges being a perfectly comfortable fit for me. Littlepawz has the same sizing chart so i figured i'd be better off with the larges but i find the diaper to be a little loose fitting, leading to leaks... something i've NEVER dealt with using tykables unless it was completely my fault lol.
I like the feeling of a wet Overnight, it seems a bit more "evenly spread" and it feels like i'm in a wet diaper, When i wet the Littlepawz, it sort of just "hardened" the padding. IMHO The only thing littlepawz has on overnights is marginal thickness/absorbency. I really only tried them because i liked the design, but i wish i could trade them in for mediums just to see if those work out better for me. If not i may consider selling them on ebay...... to buy more overnights :laugh:

I guess there's a diaper out there for everyone.

fwiw, I consider the overnights to be the most durable daytime diaper I know of. For some reason they are extremely resistant to clumping when dry.

Okay, so maybe I had a bad experience, or whatever. Perhaps it's just personal preference how some like their diapers to fit and feel. They were by no means bad and were much more absorbant than most anything aside from ABU's double taped line and Bambino's bellissimo...in my humble opinion, of course. They just weren't my cup of tea.
It's the problem of our over-saturated culture nowadays: we have so many great options that I sometimes forget how lucky we are to have these companies making the amazing products they do. I enjoyed the tykables very much, as a fun experiment for a day. But I'll stick with ABU and Bambino when it comes to getting cases (though Diaper Buys has postponed my diaper-buying for the time being. Thank youuuu Abena ;D)
Thanks for reading my post, everyone! :)
PaddedChi said:
Everyone said the space/littlepawz had the best tapes, i think overnights are actually much better. Like you i am at that awkward 36" waist size, i found the overnights mediums to be a bit tight but doable, with the larges being a perfectly comfortable fit for me. Littlepawz has the same sizing chart so i figured i'd be better off with the larges but i find the diaper to be a little loose fitting, leading to leaks...

I agree, the Tykables tapes are far superior to any other diaper I've tried.
To me, the size large was just a bit too big. It mad the diaper not appeal to me as much as a medium ABU space (same dimenions as the Littlepawz?). I would say ABU's sizing chart is a bit misleading. It has Tykables's chart, but it fits a lot like a Bellissimo imo. I still feel like a 36" waist is on the higher end, but it fits me perfectly, and the rise is just where I like it.

agreed, tykables/snuggies large size fits the same as bambino large

I don't agree about the tapes, have you all actually tried a Space Diaper?

It's just opinion. I would put Snuggies/Tykables at second place for tapes.

Space/Bambino/Little Paws all had more capacity for me, consistently, other factors like fit not withstanding.

BouncyBoy said:
I don't agree about the tapes, have you all actually tried a Space Diaper?

It's just opinion. I would put Snuggies/Tykables at second place for tapes.

Space/Bambino/Little Paws all had more capacity for me, consistently, other factors like fit not withstanding.

I havn't tried space, but i've been using littlepawz (which im under the impression that it's the same diaper/different design) and i can confidently say the tapes are good, but not as good as overnights. But i'm a refasten once or twice to get the best fit kind of wearer, so that may be where the problem comes from.

- - - Updated - - -

bambinod said:
fwiw, I consider the overnights to be the most durable daytime diaper I know of. For some reason they are extremely resistant to clumping when dry.

that's one hell of a daytime diaper, especially when wet!

I love the fit and feel of the Tykables overnights, but I'm not too confident in the new shell. I have the same issues with a saturated Tykable turning into mush, but I tend to use inserts to combat that problem (which has the added benefit of bulking them up). The new shell, however, is my chief complaint.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has had problems with the front part of the diaper tearing apart. Particularly across the landing zone in the front where the leg tapes attach. I am disappointed with this fault, especially because they use a reinforced landing zone on the front which should actually reinforce the front of the diaper. I've even had issues where the tapes stick so well to the landing zone that they tear it up if I have to refasten them for any reason. I'm happy the tapes work much better than their previous versions, I just want the diaper to stay in one piece during wear. Has anyone else had problems with a weak shell on these?

I am currently using Tykables overnights I will say I have had the outer shell get holes in it, as well as the diaper turning to mush but only after I probably should have changed. I think the capacity is a bit sub par for my tastes though. Don't get me wrong its absorbent but not as much as what I am used to like absorbancy +, 24/7 and the Xplus. The cuteness factor I can't resist though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back