What are your favorite movies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kissy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
I'm quite sure that this has been asked before but I don't want to accidentally resurrect old threads. So, what are some of your favorites? Whether they be geared at a younger audience or older!

Some of mine are in no particular order:
"The Secret of Nimh"
"The Last Unicorn"
"Labyrinth"
"The Swan Princess"
"Pete's Dragon"
"The Lost Boy's"
"Pan's Labyrith" (I LOVE the Faun!)
"Disney's Beauty and the Beast"

I'm sure there are others but I can't think of them! So whats yours! Even name some favorite scenes if you like :eek:

All Harry Potter movies are my favorite first..... It certainly will be this choice for a long time,, to yoursefl too maybe?
Then all Superman movies with Christopher Reeve are my second choice....

"to have or have not"
"Kelly's Hero's"
any James Steward movie.
and :chin:

Some of my favourites would be (in no particular order):

Naked Lunch
Withnail & I
Memento
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Scanner Darkly
I'm A Cyborg, But That's OK
Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Beach
Temple Grandin
Manufacturing Consent
Monty Python: The Life of Brian
Monty Python's Meaning of Life
In Bruges
Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium
Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory (the one with Gene Wilder, obviously!)
Grand Theft Parsons
I Heart Huckabees
Ma Vie en Rose (My Life in Pink) -- not to be confused with La Vie en Rose
Four Lions

Some of my favorite movies are...

-Lord of the Rings
-Star Wars
-Big Fish
-Lawrence of Arabia
-Swiss Family Robinson

Three of mine: "Stand By Me". It reminds me when I was that age, growing up during that era.
"Lord of the Rings Trilogy" What a great way to capture the imagination of the books.
"Something Wicked This Way Comes" A Disney movie that never gets mentioned, yet it's a wonderful Ray Bradbury story.

The quiet Man with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara

Ringer said:
The quiet Man with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara

That's one of the few movies I think my dad genuinely like to watch with me! That's a good movie!

one of the very few that actually left me amazed, at how awesome it was was 'predestination'. time travel amazingness right there

Some of my favourite films are Blade Runner, Star Wars Episodes 4, 5, and 6, Requiem for a Dream, and The Matrix

I like most of the Kevin Smith films (Clerks, Jay & Silent Bob, etc.), But I've recently taken a liking to "The book Of Life". It's cute ^^

Jurassic Park 1 is my favorite of all times.

I remember when it first came out, I was 8 years old, I begged my parents to take me to the movies to watch it. They didn't but that's fine, I finally got to see it after it was released on VHS.

In 1996, I think, it was on TV, and when Ellie went to flip the power back on, just 1 second before she hit the main switch, our power went out. We were in the middle of a severe thunderstorm. Although I missed the rest of it, I was amazed at the *perfect* timing for the power to go out :laugh:

My other favorites include, in order:

The Lion King
Spirited Away
Grave of the Fireflies - Note: If you want to really want to cry your eyes out this is a good, but very sad, anime movie. I've watched this once, 5 years ago, and I still get sad and tear up when I think about it.
Hackers

of course there are others, but those were the first 5 that jumped from memory first.

FluffyMastiff said:
Jurassic Park 1 is my favorite of all times.

I remember when it first came out, I was 8 years old, I begged my parents to take me to the movies to watch it. They didn't but that's fine, I finally got to see it after it was released on VHS.

In 1996, I think, it was on TV, and when Ellie went to flip the power back on, just 1 second before she hit the main switch, our power went out. We were in the middle of a severe thunderstorm. Although I missed the rest of it, I was amazed at the *perfect* timing for the power to go out :laugh:

My other favorites include, in order:

The Lion King
Spirited Away
Grave of the Fireflies - Note: If you want to really want to cry your eyes out this is a good, but very sad, anime movie. I've watched this once, 5 years ago, and I still get sad and tear up when I think about it.
Hackers

of course there are others, but those were the first 5 that jumped from memory first.

I loved Jurassic Park 1 (I still think it's the best of the JP's) But I also loved Dinosaurs when I was a kid and would often pretend that I was a hadrosaurs...and then I would pretend to be a cat...that might explain why people thought I was a bit strange :D

And just about any Studio Ghibli movie is great! I still have my old VHS of the fox dub of Totoro (even though I prefer subbed versions of most anything, I love the fox dub of Totoro!)
Oh, and The Lion King! Heehee, I drove my parents crazy since I saw it 4 times in theaters (twice with my aunt, twice with my parents) plus reenacted the movie with my baby Simba plushie and listened the the cassette of the soundtrack!

For me, Kelly's Heros, Firefox, anything Star Wars, and anything Ice Age....

ok..

i love a lot of different films styles, sci fi, animation, fantasy mainly.

however the problem i have now, is i dont look at the film in a story based opinion any more, now i look at a film based on its filming, acting, and CGI abilities, which in all honesty can be really annoying

for this reason, a lot of films i watch, where others have said this is good, i find them to be poor, compared to what modern day technology can provide. so it is difficult to decide my favourites.

one of the most recent films i saw, was "War Horse", not a massivly cgi invested film, but to me it was impressive all the same.

dont get me wrong, i still watch films like transformers, harry potter, and lord of the rings, and i still like them, but due to my training i now will sit and rip a film appart, for example, why did they do that, when they coudl have done this.. (regarding filming technique).

cheers
babylea

Kissy said:
I loved Jurassic Park 1 (I still think it's the best of the JP's) But I also loved Dinosaurs when I was a kid and would often pretend that I was a hadrosaurs...and then I would pretend to be a cat...that might explain why people thought I was a bit strange :D

And just about any Studio Ghibli movie is great! I still have my old VHS of the fox dub of Totoro (even though I prefer subbed versions of most anything, I love the fox dub of Totoro!)
Oh, and The Lion King! Heehee, I drove my parents crazy since I saw it 4 times in theaters (twice with my aunt, twice with my parents) plus reenacted the movie with my baby Simba plushie and listened the the cassette of the soundtrack!

You. I like you :D

Subbed is really good. The only anime that I don't like subbed is PokeMon, but I don't watch that much anymore, I lost track of it after the first 150 PokeMon :rolleyes:

I never had any VHS of actual anime series or movies. I watched Speed Racer and Astro Boy, but didn't know about "anime" until I was in high school, and it took off from there. :D

anyway, back on topic of the thread :)

Hmm. Hard to really pick a list since there are so many movies I like from so many different genres and for different reasons. Here's my list for now.

American History X
Airplane!
Brazil
Citizen Kane
City of God
A Clockwork Orange
Disney/Pixar (So many to choose from, I love them all)
Elf
Eraserhead
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
High and Low
Into the Wild
Jesus Camp
Modern Times
National Lampoon's Vacation
Pink Floyd's The Wall
Requiem for a Dream
Seven Samurai
Tapped
The White Ribbon

Here's my picks for comedy films
Dr. Strangelove - Funniest film about nuclear war
In Bruges - Really well written and has a lot of recognizable irish actors
What we do in the Shadows - "Documentary" about 3 vampires living together as roommates

I also love Airplane! and Kelly's Heroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back