Baby Pants Training Pants, shrinkage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crinklesaur

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
I'm about to invest in a pair of plastic pants and training pants from Baby Pants, and I was wondering whether I should go with a Large or a Medium.

I have a 32 inch waist, so medium would be good for me right off the gate, but I hear that the shrinkage is substantial, about 15-20 percent. In light of that, should I just opt for a large instead?

Generally speaking, I would say: Find your size according to the size chart (pre shrinkage), then order the next size up. Yes, I can vouch for the fact that these shrink a lot, and it's a tad annoying that Baby Pants doesn't make this a bit more clear. If you're at the absolute bottom end of Medium, and you have a few extra dollars to experiment with, you might get a Medium and a Large. Otherwise, I'm thinking you'll be happy with a Large regardless. Remember, you'll want to wash any cloth diaper at least three times before judging its size and absorbency.

Achieldan said:
I'm about to invest in a pair of plastic pants and training pants from Baby Pants, and I was wondering whether I should go with a Large or a Medium.

I have a 32 inch waist, so medium would be good for me right off the gate, but I hear that the shrinkage is substantial, about 15-20 percent. In light of that, should I just opt for a large instead?

I'm a 32" waist and the mediums fit me well. I've not noticed any shrinkage, or if they did shrink, they shrank to fit me perfectly.

Instead of BabyPants, I went ahead and got the LeakMaster PUL pants and their prefold birdseye diaper.

Should I expect the same quality from LeakMaster as from BabyPants?

I'm a 30" waist and I'm exactly in between the mediums and smalls. I actually ordered one of each and I find the small just barely fits after washing while the medium is just a tad on the big side, but a bit more comfortable. So I would say that 32" is exactly perfect for mediums.

I haven't tried leakmaster though, but I imagine that you'll get a solid product. You should consider looking into some of the cloth diaper guides, as they take a bit more care than the training pants, especially if you plan to use them.

Real training pants are a little big so the toddler can pull them down easy .
If your looking for the real toddler experience.

Out of curiosity, do you HAVE to use plastic pants with these, or will they hold a certain amount before soaking through?

NovaDL said:
Out of curiosity, do you HAVE to use plastic pants with these, or will they hold a certain amount before soaking through?

cloth diapers aren't designed to protect clothing or bedding, they're designed to soak up urine and wick it throughout the material. Some sort of waterproof cover is requried on any cloth diaper. SOME come with it already on the outside, but those are usually pretty obvious, with plastic outer shell and plastic snaps. If it's all cloth, plastic pants are required over it, or they'll just saturate and start transferring to your clothes/bedding immediately.

Thick cloth diapers would hold maybe a spurt and a dribble and that's about it. A full ounce of liquid will easily reach the outside of the material.

Any recommendations for quiet / silent plastic or waterproof pants?

I'm a 31"-32" waist and purchased both the large and the small sizes of the training pants from baby-pants, and neither one fits me. The small is far too small and is actually a little uncomfortable and the large won't fit right unless I have some padding underneath (kind of defeats the purpose then and makes them a diaper cover...). I've washed the larges multiple times on high settings and still, they aren't going to shrink enough to fit me properly.

I'd say save your money and invest in the mediums. The shrinkage shouldn't be too drastic.

Gary Active Pants works well. Very quiet. Let cuffs doesn't wick wetness.

BigKid25 said:
I'd say save your money and invest in the mediums. The shrinkage shouldn't be too drastic.

A lot of places quote 20-25% shrinkage on the first two washes for cloth products that are not prewashed.

Baby Pants says to expect 8-10% shrinkage over the first few washes. 10% represents 3-4" for most of their sizes, and the sizes are only 3-4" apart, so... :shrug: The "buy a size up" approach is supported by simple math. Again, if you're at the absolute bottom of Medium, and you see only 8% shrinkage instead of 10%, then you'll be happy. Otherwise...

I'm pretty sure mine shrunk about 10% on the first wash alone. Perhaps I got in on a particularly shrinky batch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back