What do you guys use to cope?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scifer555

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
When you are dealing with serious matters what calms you guys down? (please no drug or alcoholic responses, I partake in no drugs or alcohol)

Tonight when I got off work my husband had taken the 4 boys out and called and said they would be in late so don't wait up. It feels so lonely and sad, but the light of the sunset dancing on the wall was so pretty and magical that I calmed down more than I have been in a long time. It feels like a visit from another place. Maybe I can escape here often. I never knew sunlight could be so healing.

For me, it depends what I'm trying to calm down from. When I have a lot going on, I go for a drive and line everything up and tackle it in my mind one by one. It allows me to create a sense of organized chaos out of my life. When I'm thinking too much, I bury myself in my electronics/programming hobby. The math is calming for me and forces me to focus all of my attention to it. When I get angry, I go for a walk. Time is the only thing that helps with anger and being outside in the country is just soothing. If it's general stress, I'll generally play video games or go target shooting. Basically anything fun that takes my mind off of whatever built the stress in the first place. :)

I love to play the piano, and I find that music can be a very calming experience for me. I've also been working on meditation using mindfulness techniques which can be very calming and helpful.

Fascinating said:
Tonight when I got off work my husband had taken the 4 boys out and called and said they would be in late so don't wait up. It feels so lonely and sad, but the light of the sunset dancing on the wall was so pretty and magical that I calmed down more than I have been in a long time. It feels like a visit from another place. Maybe I can escape here often. I never knew sunlight could be so healing.
I did get a good amount of sun today, it helped a little, but some unknown bug bit me and kind of ruined my mood for awhile. I think the main stressor is sometimes responses I get from various posts here and on facebook. I am learning how to react better... usually I end up cussing people out but I don't need to do that... I hope that I can continue to learn better responses ad I know I've had a few poor ones on here and elsewhere.

- - - Updated - - -

arcituthis said:
For me, it depends what I'm trying to calm down from. When I have a lot going on, I go for a drive and line everything up and tackle it in my mind one by one. It allows me to create a sense of organized chaos out of my life. When I'm thinking too much, I bury myself in my electronics/programming hobby. The math is calming for me and forces me to focus all of my attention to it. When I get angry, I go for a walk. Time is the only thing that helps with anger and being outside in the country is just soothing. If it's general stress, I'll generally play video games or go target shooting. Basically anything fun that takes my mind off of whatever built the stress in the first place. :)
Good advice, I'm actually trying to de-stress by doing a bit of gaming right now.

- - - Updated - - -

ornitorrinco said:
I love to play the piano, and I find that music can be a very calming experience for me. I've also been working on meditation using mindfulness techniques which can be very calming and helpful.
I wish I could play any instrument... I can only sing.

Premetheus said:
I wish I could play any instrument... I can only sing.
Singing can also work, if you find music that helps release stress. Doesn't matter how well you sing (or play, in my case). It's about how you feel and how it makes you feel.

ornitorrinco said:
Singing can also work, if you find music that helps release stress. Doesn't matter how well you sing (or play, in my case). It's about how you feel and how it makes you feel.
I have been told I can sing... I have a youtube channel so I might sing something and upload it there I suppose. I just want to learn how to play instruments but I get so frustrated with myself. I am just going to find some things to sing I guess.

Hello

I use several types of calming/coping mechanisms. I have posted one in the group "school house rocks, and have been going to put more in. I have the materials sitting here next to the computer and need to get off my butt and post the rest.

I will get that done by the end of the week.

Egor.

I think I'm pretty much like the others from above. Recently, I've been working on some organ and piano pieces that I want to play in concert. I love Chopin and the beauty of his Nocturnes and Waltzes relax me, as long as I don't play too many wrong notes. I read a lot and I've been working on writing a short story for this site, due out, I hope, in October for Halloween. I also enjoy getting out on my bike and riding our trail. If things get really bad, and sometimes they do where my wife's health is concerned, I pray. That's helped me through some very rough days.

I have a mountain bike I've fitted with a 50cc motor,after a bad day I'll put 60 miles or so on and it really clears my mind. I've had many dirt and large street bikes but this little toy provides more simple joy than any toy or vice I've tried.

I've got a lot of different things, they vary depending on what's getting me. One coping mechanism I use is put on a diaper, my footie PJs and just relax in my apartment (I rarely do nothing, but I might lie for a little while, listen to music, or play games). I love the feeling of just being all bundled up and hanging out like that makes me feel good.

Like some others here, I play music, though I haven't in quite a while. I miss it, as it is a special kind of relaxation and I think there's nothing like playing a musical instrument to take your mind out of bad thoughts and somewhere else completely.

Sometimes I take walks, or if it's a different sort of problem I might call my mom or my brother to talk about it.

Sometimes if it's a sticky problem, like for work or something, the only way I can cope with it is to just solve it. I have a mentality sometimes, not always, where a problem just makes me angry and I will slam myself over and over into a wall until the wall gives up and falls over.

Swimming during the summer, walking reading watching TV, visiting the spank bank, petting the animals, and maybe making some good food to eat.

Listen to deafening loud rock music with headphones mainly, biting myself is not a habbit I have gotten rid of, but i prefer the first

Zenka said:
Listen to deafening loud rock music with headphones mainly, biting myself is not a habbit I have gotten rid of, but i prefer the first

That is actually shown to be very therapeutic. A Melbourne, Australia study showed that if you play music that someone likes loudly when they're upset it calms them down.

I have a few things on my "self care card" (the term we use at work). If I can't leave a situation it's breathing exercises or drinking a mouthful of water. If I can leave a situation I go for a walk, play with my dogs, listen to music, play games or... nappies.

Zenka said:

Diddo on the music, although different kinds. I also watch internet videos and play video games, I also pretend I'm a kitten, a dog a baby or a little, at home, in my room. It seems to help.

- - - Updated - - -

Aidy said:
That is actually shown to be very therapeutic. A Melbourne, Australia study showed that if you play music that someone likes loudly when they're upset it calms them down.

I have a few things on my "self care card" (the term we use at work). If I can't leave a situation it's breathing exercises or drinking a mouthful of water. If I can leave a situation I go for a walk, play with my dogs, listen to music, play games or... nappies.

Huh, makes sence, and I aggree 100%

Work gets more stressful everyday, and it can be hard to cope. I memorized 'avoid, alter, adapt, adjust, or accept ' . When i'm in a situation that causes me problems i recite that and hopefully find a solution. But, over the last five years i am coping more and more by using diapers most of the time and walking. Using diapers as a coping mechanism may not be the 'right' solution but they give me the ultimate feeling of relaxation and reduce the feeling of responsibility. Walking or hiking is a very nice way to gently exercise and enjoy the outside. Maybe even get extra vitamin D from the sun to help elevate your mood. Plus its free and you can do it anywhere and any time.

Starrunner said:
First of all, I'm totally jealous of the others here who can sing or play music. I sing really badly, and I have no coordination to play music and my dancing is pretty pathetic.

Aside from that rant, I'm a long distance runner. I just completed the Army Run Half Marathon last weekend. It went okay considering that I had to train through the seasonal summer allergies and hot, hot,, hot weather.

I started running to beat depression, alcoholism, not to mention smoking a pack of cigarettes a day and the occasional bit of weed. I ran my first marathon two years after I started, in spite of the people who never thought I'd stick with it, and placed eightieth out of nearly eight thousand competitors. And I was proud. I've been a runner now for thirty six years.

I've always said that running has saved my life and prevented me from living in an endless abyss of depression and suicidal thoughts. It helped give me self esteem and taught me discipline. After thirty six years, I still start each morning with a six mile run. It helps me cope with the long day ahead and calms me down when I'm feeling stressed out. My work is very stressful and I can't imagine how I would face it all without having had my morning run. It just puts things into perspective for me and makes the world manageable.

There's tons of research that shows that running, or any form of exercise, produces endorphins in our bodies and can cause a state of euphoria, often referred to as the 'runner's high.' my motto in life has been "Running solves everything!"

http://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/treatment/exercising
I actually am a runner, my brother got my started in it, I just don't always feel motivated to run, I'm not fat by any means I'm lean, just that depression and other stuff keeps me down. I might go for a run today though... my left leg has been hurting lately. I think it's a growing pain :v

I tend to do a lot of writing when highly stressed out. It's a good way to vent and let out bad emotions for me, as well as come up with some new ideas. I also tend to go on long distance runs, then come back, get padded, watch Netflix, and just be lazy and unproductive in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back