View RSS Feed

AustinTheLionhearted

My Hopes for an Internship Crushed/I've had it with Rejection!

Rate this Entry
Hello all,

I'm sorry that I will have to be a "Negative Nancy" on this one, but this time it is warranted. I had a successful interview with the company on Tuesday and had quite a rapport with the CIO that attended the panel interview. I thought I was going to get an internship without any fuss, unfortunately I underestimated the favoritism hard-wired into the rednecks of Michigan businessmen and recruitment systems. Two days later, today if you were counting, I received a generic no-reply communique from the company claiming that despite being "impressed with my qualifications" and being faced with a "difficult decision" they had ended up choosing another candidate because that candidate, they believe, "more closely matches what we are looking for in the position". Rejection, plain and simple.

Going through rejection I know is the way of most systems of recruiting in a company, but I've had it when I go through such a rigorous interview and filter process, only to have my aspirations for that company dashed when I am given the rejection stamp and proverbial ban-hammer. It ruins my confidence to go through a rejection that was this close. So, what are my next steps? I would hope to get an internship, but unfortunately despite it being way earlier in the season, I have failed to get one. I may have to lower my expectations yet again to the lowest form of labor, minimum wage. Despite my "excellent qualifications" couldn't one dang company accept me? Would it be too hard to accept me as I am so well motivated to do work? Guess not, because the majority of those I apply to either don't respond with next steps or get this close and outright reject me. Only one successful internship under my belt, through special circumstances and a special arrangement, was where I was with this.

What is wrong with me that makes a company go this far to insult me by rejecting me at this juncture? In all honesty, I do not know which is what genuinely scares the heck out of me. This emotional problem that has continued to crop up when I'm stressed out is a sign that I could revert to my old self and stay that way for more time. I find that the everyday school life, which will start in 4 days will start tearing down what I have worked so hard to defeat and put in it's place. I could go right back to where I was with self-sabotage. This is a tough time for me as I deal with the fact that I have to go through yet another self-sacrificing semester in order to either get the internship I deserve or crash and burn in a blaze of glory. Only time will tell whether the reversion is permanent, or if I will overcome this, but I hope that I survive this next semester.

Until Next Time,
Austin The Lionhearted
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Nothing is wrong with you. More likely than not, you were "outperformed." It doesn't mean that you suck, that you aren't capable of doing the work, or that it's time to do a U-turn and contemplate other career paths. It simply means that other candidates interviewed better. There will usually be far more applicants than positions, and so even if all the applicants meet the requirements, have the necessary skills, etc., many of them won't be hired--for what can often be hard-to-grasp (or accept) reasons. That's...just how it goes. Internship interviews are the most subjective kind, too, as often none of the candidates are truly ready for the full-time job. The interviewers have to get out their crystal balls and get psychic. Mistakes are made. You have to dust yourself off and move on.

It's important not to adopt such a defeatist outlook when stuff like this happens, because it doesn't stop happening when you get hired. On the contrary, in fact; it just keeps coming and coming and coming. Promotions, merit salary increases, bonuses, etc., are usually very competitive. There will be times when you don't get these things and your coworkers do. And the reason will often be "You were outperformed." What you do with that news will determine how far you go.

But also: You're 20, still in school, and this was one opportunity...
    On one hand, it's only one opportunity. On the other hand, I know I'd feel completely devastated and defeated if it happened to me.

Sometimes it all comes down to luck. When it's a choice between people, someone will always feel disappointed.
    Other times, there's favoritism and ass kissing involved (sorry...for lack of a better phrase)... and probably other unfair things.

I hope you get another opportunity & it goes much better
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.