Would an Autoimmune Gastrointestinal Issue be Considered Incontinence?

Should someone with something like Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis check the Incontinent Role?

• Total voters

LilDawson

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
Hey, hope I may "intrude" with a quick question for those who have incontinence issues. I'm wondering: would an autoimmune gastrointestinal issue (such as Crohn's, Ulcerative Colitis, etc) be considered incontinence that warrants checking the incontinent role even when it can be managed or isn't actively flared? I'm curious what some folks think! 😇

Reactions: AttilaThePun
It seems likely:
Can Crohn's disease make you incontinent?

As many as three in four people with Crohn's or Colitis have experienced incontinence. Often this is linked to flare-ups, but for about one in ten, incontinence occurs even when their disease isn't active.
and
Does ulcerative colitis make you incontinent?

Ulcerative colitis significantly affects daily life, largely due to symptoms such as bowel urgency and bowel incontinence.
Since I struggle with IBS-d (diarrhea) from my use of metformin (in Janumet), I usually wear a pull-up in the day time just in case. And that has paid off a few times. Otherwise, for U-IC, I could get by with just a male guard.

Last edited:
Reactions: AttilaThePun and Pino
I've been incontinent since the beginning. Thankfully I don't suffer any autoimmune gastrointestinal. I simply have dysfunctional pelvic floor (birth defect). For what I've read and what my physician told me, autoimmune gastrointestinal health problems is an underlining issues and sometimes those issues can cause incontinence.

Reactions: AttilaThePun and EcoIncon
LilDawson said:
Hey, hope I may "intrude" with a quick question for those who have incontinence issues. I'm wondering: would an autoimmune gastrointestinal issue (such as Crohn's, Ulcerative Colitis, etc) be considered incontinence that warrants checking the incontinent role even when it can be managed or isn't actively flared? I'm curious what some folks think! 😇
Well, of course. like @slimjiminy said, these kind of desease can make you incontinent, to be considered incontinent due to that condition, you need to be NOT able to control it any longer.

I do have got Celiac and when taking Oxybutynin i lost control for some time, until i stopped medication. But i am not considered incontinent for #2.

I know nothing about those two diseases, but anything that causes you not to be able to 'keep it in' even if not continuously would allow you tick the incontinent box, surely? So yes.

Dictionary definition found on the fly: "inability of the body to control the evacuative functions of urination or defecation : partial or complete loss of bladder or bowel control".

I would argue that hemorrhoids or piles that cause leakage are incontinence, no?

I voted yes because I think my experience of these conditions led to incontinence. Really though I think what matters is the experience someone is having and the symptoms they experience rather than a blanket label.

Reactions: AttilaThePun, EcoIncon and DLWee
The diseases themselves are not a cause to check the box for Incontinence. The resulting loss of control is. I several friends with Crohns that don't have F-IC. So not all Crohn's sufferers are incontinent but many are. They are two different conditions. Incontinence can be caused by a variety of other conditions or in rare cases idiopathic.

Reactions: AttilaThePun, Pino, CheshireCat and 3 others
yes, IC covers a lot of ground and comes in many forms. everyone is unique so bladder and bowel issues vary.

I don't really get the point of the discussion. Do we need to judge somebody as appropriately deserving to be considered incontinent?

Incontinence has a specific medical definition, but many people have an episode of loss of bladder or bowel control at some point without ever considering themselves incontinent. What makes the distinction important for a site like this is that there is a shared experience of what is like to deal with the lack of control, and a shared body of knowledge of how to deal with the problems that arise from the lack of control.

I've had ulcerative colitis for many, many years, and during that time I've had perhaps a half dozen times where I've had an episode of fecal incontinence. Because it's been infrequent, and because it has not really caused me any significant problems, I have never viewed myself as having fecal incontinence. On the other hand, my bladder issues lead to leakage on a daily or weekly basis much of the time, but sometimes up go for two or three months without a leak. Because I have to deal regularly with problems caused by this, I do view myself as having urinary incontinence.

For the sake of checking the boxes on this site, what really matters is the individual's experiences and their reaction to these experiences.

Reactions: DLWee, daylight, Pino and 1 other person
Think of incontinence like autism it is a spectrum from barely noticeable to major obvious signs & symptoms . It doesn’t matter where your life intersects with incontinence you can have 1 leak a year or 1 per hour you still are incontinent.

Back