Windows 11 on steam deck

Mfluder

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
I spent 2 hours installing windows on my steam deck wondering if I could eliminate some proton perf penalties, and maybe thinking LTT has his head up his butt on this one. Followed all the instructions to the letter, installed all the drivers valve provides.

TL:DR; total dumpster fire. Here's what I learned:

1. don't bother. valve is committed to steamOS, and that's probably a better thing than mucking with windows compat
2. check which games support steam cloud. bye bye 20 hrs of game progress.
3. everything baseline "works", but core workflows suck under win11. case-in-point, steam button, context button. performance controls.
4. perf under win11 wasn't any better. choppier in some games like stray. how valve made an emulation layer run better than native is beyond me.

Valve doesn't seem to care too much about windows11 on steam deck. Games run great on windows, and windows runs great on the steam deck, but all the glue that holds it all together is what Valve put into steamOS.

Reactions: ShippoFox
Why did you want Win 11 on your steam deck?

Reactions: NinjaPizza and ShippoFox
I wanted to see if I could squeeze more perf out of it natively, since valve released updated drivers recently.

Mfluder said:
I wanted to see if I could squeeze more perf out of it natively, since valve released updated drivers recently.
Sounds like more trouble than it's worth?

Reactions: Mfluder
I've noticed lots of games run better on PC too since switching to Linux. though I have to dual boot for the few games I rarely play that just won't work. I wish I could ditch windows entirely, but I don't want to lose the ability to play those games, and I guess it's not bad to have a backup OS

Back