Why I hate being shhhed.

matt1989

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Carer
  4. Other
I don't know why but I really don't like it when someone shhhh me. I rather you tell me to shut the F up then for you to shhhh me. I think it stands back when I was a kid. I grow up in a family that thinks kids should be seen not heard. I understand that apart of being kid is adults get there say in first but it really frustrating when your 8 year old self has something important to say or at the very least important to you and your not allowed to say anything until an adult is done talking which if you're lucky will only take 15 minutes. My mom never really did this too much it was mainly my aunt's uncles and grandparents. So as adult when someone shhhh me. For lack of a better word it triggers me. Like my whole body tenses up for like a second and I would cleanse my fists but lucky I'm can come myself down fairly quickly about it but for that brief second I'm am scared that I'll just puch a guy over it. I guess it makes me feel that you don't respect me as an adult which is ironic considering where I'm posting this but for someone that doesn't know that about me and being put down to the same level as child it feels degrading in that sense. I don't know I just feel like getting it off my chest and this is really the only place I can think of. So are you guys think am I being ridiculous or do maybe I have a point.

Reactions: chiaochai, Woncrinklz and Deleted member 57387
Ya I one that is grew up in Texas and so many people still believe in the old way of parenting but I believe you need to raise them with the same values but and the change methods with the time. My belief is for a child to know how to be respectful he needs to be shown how to be respected. I have stopped 2 of my friends conversation because there child looked like he was trying to say something important.

• Love
Reactions: Woncrinklz
matt1989 said:
I don't know why but I really don't like it when someone shhhh me. I rather you tell me to shut the F up then for you to shhhh me. I think it stands back when I was a kid. I grow up in a family that thinks kids should be seen not heard. I understand that apart of being kid is adults get there say in first but it really frustrating when your 8 year old self has something important to say or at the very least important to you and your not allowed to say anything until an adult is done talking which if you're lucky will only take 15 minutes. My mom never really did this too much it was mainly my aunt's uncles and grandparents. So as adult when someone shhhh me. For lack of a better word it triggers me. Like my whole body tenses up for like a second and I would cleanse my fists but lucky I'm can come myself down fairly quickly about it but for that brief second I'm am scared that I'll just puch a guy over it. I guess it makes me feel that you don't respect me as an adult which is ironic considering where I'm posting this but for someone that doesn't know that about me and being put down to the same level as child it feels degrading in that sense. I don't know I just feel like getting it off my chest and this is really the only place I can think of. So are you guys think am I being ridiculous or do maybe I have a point.
Yeah, I see your point. It's a pain in the ass being treated that way. Ask them if they have a leak or if they have Tourette's and can't get the word out right due to some malfunction!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Last edited:
Wondercrinkee said:
Yeah, I see your point. It's a pain in the ass being treated that way. Ask them if they have a leak or if they have Tourette's and can't get the word out right due to some malfunction!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL:
I may try that. Like I said I rather you tell me to shut the F up than being shhhed.

Reactions: Woncrinklz
I hate to be shushed as well. I too grew up in the "children should be seen and not hears" era. But I think you're right in that being shushed is more offensive then to told to be quiet.

Reactions: Deleted member 57387
this little boy shushes hid Dad

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I can't bear to be shushed as an adult: indeed, it seriously winds me up if anyone talks down to me or bosses me about (little time excepted). Whenever I'm not being a little, I have very clear boundaries on how I like to be talked to, even with my nearest and dearest. I have stormed out of a room when somebody tried to silence me with a hand gesture. I'm careful not to speak condescendingly when I talk to others: I tend to say "don't say anything" or "hear me out" if I need to silence someone who won't stop interrupting. A paradox of posting here is that when I was a child, although I loved lots of things about childhood which I like to relive as a little, and I mostly have happy memories of it, I defended any independence I had to the end, and I really hated being infantilised in any way.

Last edited:
feetintrouble said:
I can't bear to be shushed as an adult: indeed, it seriously winds me up if anyone talks down to me or bosses me about (little time excepted). Whenever I'm not being a little, I have very clear boundaries on how I like to be talked to, even with my nearest and dearest. I have stormed out of a room when somebody tried to silence me with a hand gesture. I'm careful not to speak condescendingly when I talk to others: I tend to say "don't say anything" or "hear me out" if I need to silence someone who won't stop interrupting. A paradox of posting here is that when I was a child, although I loved lots of things about childhood which I like to relive as a little, and I mostly have happy memories of it, I defended any independence I had to the end, and I really hated being infantilised in any way.
Exactly my point. Respect is a two-way street. There's a time to be little and there's a time to be an adult.

Back