Why do people not like Collectibles being Valuable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyTyrant

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
People act like it's Wrong to want things to be Valuable, saying "why do you care if your collection is Valuable, you don't plan on selling it, right?"

So, just because I don't plan on selling it doesn't mean I'm allowed to care if my collection stays worth something?

I really don't follow that logic, because life doesn't always go as planned

When something goes wrong and you have to sell something you don't want to, it's obviously much better if you can sell it at a Higher price

Plus, doesn't having a worthwhile feeling collection feel good compared to having 1000s of Collectibles that don't really have any value?

I think it's because people have a sense of Entitlement; they want Market crashes to happen when they don't have something, making cards more affordable for the Players

But I've felt it to be an insidious practice to just reprint everything into oblivion like Yu-Gi-Oh does

I think this a perfect example of the different types of value, specifically market value vs. intrinsic value. What is someone readily and willing to pay for it vs. what is it inherently worth?

I think it's because people have a sense of Entitlement; they want Market crashes to happen when they don't have something, making cards more affordable for the Players

Might be on to something here. I think people generally don't like when market prices go high on something they don't understand or value themselves. When they are on the sidelines and the market price of 'x' is going up, and they have no interest in 'x' or consider it to be intrinsically valuable they are just left with, 'well, I missed my opportunity to by low and sell high and make money'.

BlizzardKid said:
I think this a perfect example of the different types of value, specifically market value vs. intrinsic value. What is someone readily and willing to pay for it vs. what is it inherently worth?

Might be on to something here. I think people generally don't like when market prices go high on something they don't understand or value themselves. When they are on the sidelines and the market price of 'x' is going up, and they have no interest in 'x' or consider it to be intrinsically valuable they are just left with, 'well, I missed my opportunity to by low and sell high and make money'.
Well in TCGs you have Players that typically want cards to be Cheap so they can play what they want/need to win tournaments without breaking the bank

To be clear, I'm not against that

But, Trading Cards are Collectibles too

Why else would the market have people that sometimes pay $1000s, even on cards that don't see much use anymore (especially graded) ?

I don't think just wanting stuff to not be worthless is wrong, and it goes back to "Supply and Demand" after all

If there's 10,000 of a card and way more demand, obviously the price will be high

But, sometimes all it takes is a few sizeable reprints for cards to drop in price a LOT

and I kinda think that'd be a Cruddy move for a Card Manufacturer to print a limited initial run, and then reprint something to oblivion just to pump up new products while tanking the market price on existing copies

They make their money the 1st time, so I don't think they should keep Reprinting something 10+ times as seems to be the case with Yu-Gi-Oh

Last edited:
I'll admit that I'd be annoyed if I bought something as a sort of investment, and with the understanding that it had a finite availability, and then the manufacturer flooded the market with more of that item. That said, I'd suppose the initial run still has some sort of distinguishing characteristic that, when the dust settles, will make it more valuable to collectors than the reissue cards. I wouldn't be so quick to feel bad. These kinds of bumps and dips are exactly what goes on in the stock market also. Fortune tends to favor the patient.

Last edited:
Cottontail said:
I'll admit that I'd be annoyed if I bought something as a sort of investment, and with the understanding that it had a finite availability, and then the manufacturer flooded the market with more of that item. That said, I'd suppose the initial run still has some sort of distinguishing characteristic that, when the dust settles, will make it more valuable to collectors than the reissue cards. I wouldn't be so quick to feel bad. These kinds of bumps and dips are exactly what goes on in the stock market also. Fortune tends to favor the patient.
Not always

They did reprint 2 sets for the current DragonBall based TCG, but it took a lot of outrage from the community to get the Manufacturer (Bandai) to simply add a small RE on the reprints so people know which ones are Original (ones not having the RE stamp)

They could have alternatively did Alt-Arts on the High Rarity cards, so I guess people should consider themselves lucky they can have Reprints that still have the original Art and Foiling

But still, it shouldn't really have to come to loads of customer outrage when they purposely set the "Pull Rates" of cards for a reason

Had they simply wanted every person to have a certain card, it could be a Common or UnCommon and would be so easy to pull

Instead the really Rare cards are in under 1% of the packs of a Set, effectively making them High Value cards most in the hobby want (Players to win more often, Collectors because of Rarity/Low number printed)

BabyTyrant said:
They did reprint 2 sets for the current DragonBall based TCG, but it took a lot of outrage from the community to get the Manufacturer (Bandai) to simply add a small RE on the reprints so people know which ones are Original (ones not having the RE stamp)
I see. That just sounds like thoughtlessness on their part. Or I can’t think of a better reason, anyway. Annoying. Agreed!

Cottontail said:
I see. That just sounds like thoughtlessness on their part. Or I can’t think of a better reason, anyway. Annoying. Agreed!
There was good reason to reprint the sets, they just didn't wanna incur extra expenses in paying for new art on the reprints (I guess anyways)

But normally they don't reprint full sets and only reprint the Staples that the players actually need to be affordable

It was just a matter of the market drying up of supply of those 2 sets for an affordable price when the amount of Players and Collectors buying the cards Skyrocketed (expensive card prices makes demand of a Set skyrocket as everyone wants a Payday)

BabyTyrant said:
People act like it's Wrong to want things to be Valuable, saying "why do you care if your collection is Valuable, you don't plan on selling it, right?"

So, just because I don't plan on selling it doesn't mean I'm allowed to care if my collection stays worth something?

I really don't follow that logic, because life doesn't always go as planned

When something goes wrong and you have to sell something you don't want to, it's obviously much better if you can sell it at a Higher price

Plus, doesn't having a worthwhile feeling collection feel good compared to having 1000s of Collectibles that don't really have any value?

But I've felt it to be an insidious practice to just reprint everything into oblivion like Yu-Gi-Oh does
I see what you are saying. It's a weird world where before things a person had that was cool sold for good money. Nowadays I can't sell even valuable jewelry without getting almost pawn-shop prices for stuff. I could spit with all the Pokemon cards I bought for a family member which I have a feeling were thrown out or given away. They were the ones that first came out, and I bought the cards for them by the BOXES, hundreds of dollars each from the store. Their binder was FILLED with them, and I bought some to play with them as well so we had a huge collection. Then when I moved, I gave the huge heavy binder over (stupid of me) to them, and GOD only knows what happened to them. So, yeah. Things are worth a lot regardless of wanting to sell or not. Ouch. I made a lot of mistakes in my lovely exciting life. That's for sure! Be careful. Keep what you love. Don't part with things unless you can care less if you do. Feel things out inside. For nostalgia's sake, a well-framed vintage whatever or anything you care for is something to behold for some people! Chin-up! It's okay to value and love what you love always!!! Don't forget: Whatever it is you have within your generation as a popular item is going to be popular throughout your and the generation you came froms' life who were connected to the collective item, so when you are way old, you may get amazing offers (when you want) for Nostalgia's sake.

Wondercrinkee said:
I see what you are saying. It's a weird world where before things a person had that was cool sold for good money. Nowadays I can't sell even valuable jewelry without getting almost pawn-shop prices for stuff. I could spit with all the Pokemon cards I bought for a family member which I have a feeling were thrown out or given away. They were the ones that first came out, and I bought the cards for them by the BOXES, hundreds of dollars each from the store. Their binder was FILLED with them, and I bought some to play with them as well so we had a huge collection. Then when I moved, I gave the huge heavy binder over (stupid of me) to them, and GOD only knows what happened to them. So, yeah. Things are worth a lot regardless of wanting to sell or not. Ouch. I made a lot of mistakes in my lovely exciting life. That's for sure! Be careful. Keep what you love. Don't part with things unless you can care less if you do. Feel things out inside. For nostalgia's sake, a well-framed vintage whatever or anything you care for is something to behold for some people! Chin-up! It's okay to value and love what you love always!!! Don't forget: Whatever it is you have within your generation as a popular item is going to be popular throughout your and the generation you came froms' life who were connected to the collective item, so when you are way old, you may get amazing offers (when you want) for Nostalgia's sake.

I want to get a number of my cards graded and plan on keeping my personal collection as long as I can

Just gotta wait until the grading companies eventually return to normal, so I won't have to pay $150+ per card in just grading fees

BabyTyrant said:
I want to get a number of my cards graded and plan on keeping my personal collection as long as I can

Just gotta wait until the grading companies eventually return to normal, so I won't have to pay $150+ per card in just grading fees
Keep them safe, in plastic and far from moisture or storage rooms that have all sorts of mold and fungi. There are a lot of books out, at least they were...(?) that gave prices for what cards were worth what, but only then when they were printed. The way to find out real prices is to go to the source of people who like the item, not the pushers who want money to tell you about what you have, then use your head. Prices go up and down, then drop totally. Then when people age, they all of a sudden WANT their childhood back. That's when you may consider selling. Life IS short, so I wouldn't scalp anyone, but when you are ready, you can share in the joy you had with the things you kept in great condition and sell them. The future is NEVER lock-stock-and-barrel. You will never know what will turn up (sometimes there's a misfire in the chamber of life when you need it the most...) when you need extra cash. Just watching that old show, "The antique roadshow" could make you piss your diaper!!! UG!! And be careful. NEVER EVER BE IMPULSIVE with anything in your life. Just from expert experience (Laughing now, shoulders moving with the laugh...)🧐😄😄😄

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with valuing your collections personally, or even with wanting them to maintain some market value. What really kills me is that to play certain formats in games like MtG, you basically need to have tens of thousands of dollars' worth of cards to have any chance of winning.

For officially sanctioned tournaments, I can *maybe* understand that, but even this is a stretch for my mind. The big problem is in casual play. I can see no reason whatsoever to require legitimate copies of cards worth thousands of dollars for casual play, yet the number of casual players who refuse to play against proxies is absurd.

This is the main reason I don't play any kind of trading card game anymore. I used to go to Friday Night Magic, and I know for a fact that I've been ripped off hundreds of dollars of cards in trades just because I was a kid who didn't understand the market value of the cards.

I dunno, maybe MtG is the new golf - a game that's great, but really only appropriate for those far wealthier than me 😅

motherinferior said:
I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with valuing your collections personally, or even with wanting them to maintain some market value. What really kills me is that to play certain formats in games like MtG, you basically need to have tens of thousands of dollars' worth of cards to have any chance of winning.

For officially sanctioned tournaments, I can *maybe* understand that, but even this is a stretch for my mind. The big problem is in casual play. I can see no reason whatsoever to require legitimate copies of cards worth thousands of dollars for casual play, yet the number of casual players who refuse to play against proxies is absurd.

This is the main reason I don't play any kind of trading card game anymore. I used to go to Friday Night Magic, and I know for a fact that I've been ripped off hundreds of dollars of cards in trades just because I was a kid who didn't understand the market value of the cards.

I dunno, maybe MtG is the new golf - a game that's great, but really only appropriate for those far wealthier than me 😅
It reminds me of the family member I gave a few thousand dollars worth of cards to! This person also gave away an electric guitar that I gave them that was worth a few thousand dollars to someone they barely knew who was acting "sad". (lie) (Babay barf time). Oh, crap! I just agreeeeeee with you. I wish people would just stop the crapola and enjoy life without all the "Here-ins, here-outs, where-ins, & where-outs legally about everything" That's why I have the roll of red tape in my collage. It's to the left. I just want things to be more simple with us "High-tech-apes"!😄😄😁😊😇

Last edited:
Reactions: motherinferior
motherinferior said:

Unfortunately "Pay to Win" seems to be ingrained into competitive scenes in card gaming and video gaming

Yeah, I know it's annoying

But people will place a certain value on their hobbies, and those that are Serious about a hobby will be more willing to pay higher prices to win

Especially so when some of the tournament prizes can go for $1000+ and thats for a relatively young TCG, just because people love the IP (DragonBall) so much

If someone can spend $200 (sometimes more, sometimes less) for a single card that might give them a Win, on a prize worth $1000+

That makes them in the lead immediately

And then you have to take into account sometimes these prizes are insanely limited, so 2-3 years later something can go for 5-10x the initial price

Are people supposed to feel bad because the more casual market doesn't wanna spend so much, when prizing can tempt people to spend what they do to Win?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back