Why did the "out of diapers" age increased?

PrincessNozomi said:
Yeah, something about diapers being discovered that it's more comfortable for kids that young and training them too soon often leads to child cruelty in the future. Furthermore, other studies even suggested that even leaving them in diapers permanently isn't even as bad as society makes it out to be. It still recommended to at least teach them out to take care of themselves whether it's using the potty or changing themselves, but it's agreed that forcing them out of diapers completely is actually not a good tactic. Other options is that, some like to still wear a diaper even if they don't use it.
I haven't seen studies comparing the effects of leaving a kid in diapers permanently with forced potty training. Do you know of such a study I might be able to read?

I was five before I was out of nappies. It was so embarrassing.

My sister is two years younger than me, but she was out of nappies more than a year before I was.

bigtoddler96 said:
I heard that in the past, the average age to be toilet trained (and therefore, no longer wearing diapers) was much lower than it is today, then all of sudden, it started to slowly increase up to the point where today, the average age to be out of diapers is sometime during age 3. What factors led to children getting out of diapers at a later age?

The statement is very vague. When was "in the past" exactly? The average age was much lower - what was the average age before it started to increase?
All of a sudden it started to slowly increase - When did that start?

The average is now 3? That seems like a reasonable average age to me.

Do I think the increase is fake? Not really. There have been many dramatic changes to household economics & family structure since, say the 1950s, and they've been things that I think would tend in increase the age where kids would be out of diapers.

The three big ones I can think of:

Wives aren't expected to be full time unpaid house slaves anymore, and aren't expected to feel self worth strictly from ability raising kids and doing housewife/mom stuff. Parents still care about being good parents, but the parenting responsibility is spread out across more people, and those people have a wider range of things they want to do and be good at.

Disposable diapers are much less labor intensive than cloth. Especially when dealing with poo. So again less incentive to not need diapers.

Last, people have more real income*, so buying diapers just isn't as big a deal financially as it might have been in the past (*on average, depends on demographics).

Freddie07601 said:
I haven't seen studies comparing the effects of leaving a kid in diapers permanently with forced potty training. Do you know of such a study I might be able to read?
I don't think I actually read that article, but someone on Second Life told me before
Ali123 said:
I was five before I was out of nappies. It was so embarrassing.

My sister is two years younger than me, but she was out of nappies more than a year before I was.
No need to feel bad, I've never really been out of diapers in my life. I always had urinary incontinence by nature. :)

Reactions: Freddie07601
PrincessNozomi said:
I don't think I actually read that article, but someone on Second Life told me before

No need to feel bad, I've never really been out of diapers in my life. I always had urinary incontinence by nature. :)
It felt bad having my nappy changed at the same time as my sister when she was a baby and I was there or four. And then even worse when I still had to be put into a nappy ready for bed and she didn’t.

Reactions: PrincessNozomi
BobbiSueEllen said:
T. Berry Brazelton selling out? 🤔
I remember there was a Pampers commercial with him about 1995 when they started making size 6 diapers; I remember the theme of the commercial was to let the child take the lead in toilet training. On a side note, I remember he used to have a TV show that ran until about 1995, "What Every Baby Knows". I would wake up every morning and watch it before heading off to school.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
FootiePJ said:
I remember there was a Pampers commercial with him about 1995 when they started making size 6 diapers; I remember the theme of the commercial was to let the child take the lead in toilet training. On a side note, I remember he used to have a TV show that ran until about 1995, "What Every Baby Knows". I would wake up every morning and watch it before heading off to school.
He drew criticism from that period, especially from his contemporaries. The ragged on him about selling out, of course, as well as intruding upon and diminishing parental authority. Parents don't always know best but they are parents. One has to be careful about the toes they step on. 🤔

Ali123 said:
It felt bad having my nappy changed at the same time as my sister when she was a baby and I was there or four. And then even worse when I still had to be put into a nappy ready for bed and she didn’t.
🫂

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Back